What's new

PH Levels of shave products I use. PH scale 1>6(Acidic) 7 neutral(distilled water) 8-14(Alkaline).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD shave products PH levels, March 2nd 2024.

Todays shave Products are Razorock Blue barber hard soap & splash and the soap scent is enjoyable with a cologne type of scent with excellent lather qualities. I bought these on sale years ago and the blue barber is my favorite of the three different ones (lime + orange are the others) and all produce excellent protective lather IMO.
The Blue barber splash is a great way to finish a shave and has similar cologne scent that has some linear staying strength that is not overly strong to me. The base is a bit of a woody scent with a few bright cologne notes(refer to RR description) but still a good buy when on sale. When Floid blue stopped making that aftershave RR and a few other fragrance manufactures kind of Duplicated it as close as they could from my understanding. Never tried Floid blue myself so would not know but others who have stated it is close.
PH levels seem normal when compared to other products so far.
SOTD March 2nd 2024 shave products PH Levels ..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SOTD shave products PH levels, March 5th 2024.

Proraso Green with eucalyptus is a nice soap with some menthol to give the face a different sensation than many other soaps. The eucalyptus dominates all other scents IMO.
The Proraso green lotion splash is slightly different than the soap scent wise and is slightly sweeter to my nose. They are great shave products and the Proraso Green is a popular soap and splash that has been around for some time.
The PH levels seem average like most of the soaps & aftershaves tested so far.
SOTD March 5th 2024 shave products PH Levels ..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Thank you, @Ron R !

Interesting the CeraVe bar is acidic. It’s very comfortable
I have lots of shave products I have been using over the years and I really have no idea what some of the PH levels are on some of them so I bought some litmus paper to give me some idea & others to keep it interesting for a while when shaving! Maybe I will learn something along the way also? Some products do give different feels to the face if left on, natural skin is slightly acidic and most shave soaps manufactured are more on the alkaline side from what I have read from limited research.
So seeing is believing, I do use tweezers to try and keep other influences that might alter readings on the sensitive litmus paper.
( Some recent reading of a lot of common products we use.)
View attachment 1788872
View attachment 1788873
Have some great shaves!I
Interesting post here b I’d never thought much about pH, not sure I’ll think about it much after this either but still interesting!

Ron R

Interesting post here b I’d never thought much about pH, not sure I’ll think about it much after this either but still interesting!
Not sure what I was going to discover myself, I'm nearing the end of this shaving PH unknowns and it has been interesting.
A couple more to do!

Ron R

SOTD shave products PH levels, March 7th 2024.

Well who has never heard of Williams mug soap and I had a puck laying around and just had to test the legendary soap out.
Williams soap mug refill new variant (obsolete)- interesting soap with a mild clean lemony scent, Williams new formula was not as good as the older version as many others have mentioned on the forums.
Williams refused to adapt to the changing times with a better formula that was similar to their old version (You snooze you lose). Artisans soap manufactures offered better shave soap products & just blew Williams soap out of business recently with better products IMO. I found you have to use a pastier load on a wet face works well but still dissipates slightly with the new formulation puck.
Fine fresh Vetiver aftershave is one of my favorites and is almost a cologne type fragrance that is addictive to my senses of nice scents with excellent lasting strength. I'm not sure Fine has re-introduced this aftershave since the company that Manufactured Fine fragrances closed the doors during covid problems a few years back. The shave products seem to be in normal range on the PH scale compared to others.
SOTD March 7th 2024 shave products PH Levels ..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SOTD shave products PH levels, March 9th 2024.

I received a nice sample of Martin De Candre original soap from @sarimento1 (Thanks again). Never used any Martin De Candre products so it made for a interesting shave. I found it a mild scent, easy to generate lather + excellent lather qualities. The soap seemed on the higher but still with in normal levels on the PH scale of 9 compared to other soaps tested . No problems with any irritation or weepers so it did its job as a great soap IMO.
Fine fresh Vetiver is one of my old time favorites and still performs well and has some long lasting scent profile that just works for my self.
Note all my testing where made using the lather bowl method and dipping the litmus paper in the lather at the end of my shave for more consistent routine of testing. The aftershave's where tested with a few drips on the litmus paper after shaken from the original bottles with no dilutions.
SOTD March 9th 2024 shave products PH Levels ..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SOTD shave products PH levels, March 13th 2024.

The Gillette Pure shaving cream has been a good product I bought years ago and like to use it once in a while for ubber lather from slight left overs from the lather bowl from previous soap remnants left over that are to good to be throw out. This time it is just the pure cream and seeing is believing on the final lather shown, it has a nice clean sweet scent also that works for my self.
Pinaud Clubman aftershaves are a legend in shaving for good inexpensive aftershave lotions over the decades + Clubman has a cologne scent that lasts for a few hours if that is what a person enjoys. I have not had any issues with my skin using this splash that I can recall + it can be diluted a little with witch hazel if the wifey complains about scent strength.
Shave products PH levels seem to be in normal range compared to others also!
SOTD March 13th 2024 shave products PH Levels ..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SOTD shave products PH levels, March 13th 2024.

My last soap & splash purchase was Razorock MF, it has a nice cologne scent in this soap + has a nice almost slight minty twist to it in the back ground (base note?).
The soap lather is excellent and gives good protection also IMO.
Razorock splash matches the soap reasonably well and has some scent longevity but not offensive but more Suttle and not over the top in strength IMO (at least I enjoy it.)
Razorock MF seems to be in a normal range for soaps 8-9 and aftershave splashes 6-7 and feels good on skin when used also.
SOTD March 14th 2024 shave products PH Levels ..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

It has been my conclusion that a lot of soaps fall in the range of 8-9 on the Alkaline side on the PH chart and splashes seem to be in the 5.5 - 6.5 range acidic side on the PH scale but mostly around the 6 it seems(7 is neutral). So I learned something from my testing and we all learn from these shaving tests a little. It might even keep companies alert that some of us like to know what we are applying to our faces and it is not hard to check now a days IMO.
It seems like the soaps are on the alkaline side and the splashes seem to be slightly acidic that brings the skin back to a more normal range for our healthy skin(beard skin is normally slightly acidic from my limited research).
Another thing I learned was when using Alum, it is a good idea to wash it off face after 20-30 seconds because it seems very acidic that throws the skin balance off, water is more neutral also to dilute the imbalance closer to normal PH levels quicker IMO.(Alum, post #1 test)
Lots to learn on the learning curve of shaving knowledge to have better shaves and enjoy it more also is what seems to keep me coming back to this forums.

Last edited:
Top Bottom