What's new

PH Levels of shave products I use. PH scale 1>6(Acidic) 7 neutral(distilled water) 8-14(Alkaline).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have lots of shave products I have been using over the years and I really have no idea what some of the PH levels are on some of them so I bought some litmus paper to give me some idea & others to keep it interesting for a while when shaving! Maybe I will learn something along the way also? Some products do give different feels to the face if left on, natural skin is slightly acidic and most shave soaps manufactured are more on the alkaline side from what I have read from limited research.
So seeing is believing, I do use tweezers to try and keep other influences that might alter readings on the sensitive litmus paper.
( Some recent reading of a lot of common products we use.)
Aloe, distilled water, Nivea balm-2.jpg

CeraVe Moisturizer, CeraVe Soap, Alum-2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Very interesting about the alum block's acidity - to me, I think it might explain part of why it is so helpful? Applied after the use of an alkaline shaving soap, maybe it returns the skin closer to correct ph by neutralising residual alkalinity?

Ron R

Very interesting about the alum block's acidity - to me, I think it might explain part of why it is so helpful? Applied after the use of an alkaline shaving soap, maybe it returns the skin closer to correct ph by neutralising residual alkalinity?
Have to agree with your conclusion, Rinsing after 30-60 seconds when applying alum is what I have always did from folks who mentioned this in many threads. Some folks leave alum on and not sure why!
I do not use the alum as much anymore, instead use a little witch hazel with 14% alcohol type instead, it cleans most soap residual and brings PH natural level closer to neutral or slightly acidic that is more normal for most folks skin levels.

Have to agree with your conclusion, Rinsing after 30-60 seconds when applying alum is what I have always did from folks who mentioned this in many threads. Some folks leave alum on and not sure why!
Yes, I experimented with leaving it on once or twice, never again. It's potent and only needs a little time to do its work.
I do not use the alum as much anymore, instead use a little witch hazel with 14% alcohol type instead, it cleans most soap residual and brings PH natural level closer to neutral or slightly acidic that is more normal for most folks skin levels.
Funny, only the other day I was looking into the ph of witch hazel.

Ron R

Thank you, @Ron R !

Interesting the CeraVe bar is acidic. It’s very comfortable
Interesting find , there are others who tested CeraVe and concluded that or close to what it reads. I almost forgot about this photo I took this morning.
I took and dampened my beard before cleaning with CeraVe hand bar soap using a brush and swiped the litmus paper on the beard( you can see were I was holding and pressing the paper on top and pointer area). Tweezers are a little awkward to do that action so opted to hold the end of paper finger pinching for that test.
Beard skin area.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

I took this photo this morning also and was going to use it later but might as well show the products I used like many others who enjoy RR XXX. The RR XXX and aftershave always feel good and the soap is on alkaline side and XXX splash on the acidic side giving a nice balance and closer to normal IMO.
(SOTD January 31st 2024)
SOTD Januray 31st 2024.jpg

Have some Great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

Yes, I experimented with leaving it on once or twice, never again. It's potent and only needs a little time to do its work.

Funny, only the other day I was looking into the ph of witch hazel.

Here is another photo I took of witch hazel PH reading this morning!
Looks close to what you found Theodore, 4-5 on the PH scale.
Witch hazel PH.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Here is another photo I took of witch hazel PH reading this morning!
Looks close to what you found Theodore, 4-5 on the PH scale.
View attachment 1788933
Have some great shaves!
Cool to see that confirmation, too, thank you Ron!

I think the tradition of aftershave lotions is one with sound reasoning behind it - readjust ph after soap use, help prevent infection, soothe irritation, smell nice... plus they're just cool.

Ron R

SOTD and some of the products that I really enjoy using and the scent from Ach Brito Lavada is a very enjoyable lavender and post shave feel is ideal + lather quality is excellent for softening those short whiskers as a daily shaver.
SOTD ph level products.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Wow. Amazing; thanks Ron!

I was just thinking this morning: "Man, I haven't seen Ron posting for a while. I hope he's fine, and just diving into one of his research projects!"

And apparently you are. :)

O.H.

Ron R

SOTD, Saturday February 3rd/ 24, These 2 items of soap and aftershave a lot folks are familiar with and work well for most.
The Tabac soap will soften some of those stubborn whiskers I always thought + I was thinking it would of been a higher on the scale but it is more average so far in the soap category. The aftershaves are closer to the neutral (7) for a nice balance possibly so far. Skin is slightly acidic from what I understand & researched so the aftershaves I use are in that area of the PH scale.
Tabac & Pinaud Clubman PH levels.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SOTD, Sunday, February 4th 2024, I usually like to use soap and aftershaves 2 days in a row but I had some Razorock Aqua that has a strong scent like of cologne that some folks really enjoy. It has some staying power that will last most of the day, has been my experiences.
So thought I had better see how it looks on the PH scale and it seems to be average like other aftershaves tested so far.
SOTD, February 4th 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SOTD, February 5th/24, Well still chugging along my list of shaving products that might interest some folks, looks like balms are close to neutral(neutral being#7 on PH scale) also of 3 balms tested so far. Aftershave lotion is Proraso red Sandalwood, nice sweet sandal wood scent + Geo F Trumper skin food is a nice fruiter sweet scent that grows on a person the more it is used = nice lotion + it is not a loud scent. TOBS Sandalwood is a loud (7-8/10 scent strength) herbal Sandalwood that is very enjoyable to use for my shaving . (8-9) Alkaline seems normal range for shave creams and soaps so far.
SOTD, PH level of my shave products today!.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SOTD, February 6th 2024, Ogallala Bayrum cologne just a nice fragrance for Bayrum connoisseurs who like a little clove. Easy on the face also and not a sweet scent a person can get tired of with other splashes. GF Trumpers Sandalwood skin food has a nice mild sandalwood with some other ingredients that remind me of a mild plum or apricot scent for high tones scent that does not last long.
TOBS Herbal Sandal wood cream is a loud wonderful herbal scent 7-8/10 scent strength and reads 9 on PH scale that seems normal for shave soaps so far!
SOTD Febuary 6th products.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Interesting find , there are others who tested CeraVe and concluded that or close to what it reads. I almost forgot about this photo I took this morning.
I took and dampened my beard before cleaning with CeraVe hand bar soap using a brush and swiped the litmus paper on the beard( you can see were I was holding and pressing the paper on top and pointer area). Tweezers are a little awkward to do that action so opted to hold the end of paper finger pinching for that test.
View attachment 1788924
Have some great shaves!
It is not that surprising to me that it is slightly acidic. It is a detergent based soap and not a lye based. All lye based soaps and shave soaps will be in the 8-10 pH range.

Ron R

It is not that surprising to me that it is slightly acidic. It is a detergent based soap and not a lye based. All lye based soaps and shave soaps will be in the 8-10 pH range.
Shave soaps sure are indicating 8-10 (Alkaline) PH range so far, maybe it is to soften the beard whiskers?
On ward I go with lots of soaps and aftershaves. It seems the aftershaves & balms bring the PH level back to closer normal Skin PH level which makes sense IMO.

Shave soaps sure are indicating 8-10 (Alkaline) PH range so far, maybe it is to soften the beard whiskers?
On ward I go with lots of soaps and aftershaves. It seems the aftershaves & balms bring the PH level back to closer normal Skin PH level which makes sense IMO.
Actually the pH of 8-10 of bar soap and shave soap is inherent to the process of making soap. You use lye which is highly alkaline and then you use that to saponify fats/oils. The alkalinity decreases as the reaction happens and once all the lye has reacted with the oil lye you end up in the 8-10 range of pH value. It is just what it is. Remember how they always said that lye soap is harsh on the skin. That comes from when you do not have good control of the amounts to use and there is left over lye in the soap. If that happens you end up with a harsh soap, because it is more than 10 in pH i.e too alkaline.

Now if you take a non lye based "soap" like CeraVe, Dove men+care, VDH shave soap, Col Conk shave soap etc the pH can be whatever they adjusted it to. In most cases they probably keep it pretty close to neutral pH 7. A bit acidic as in CeraVe's case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom