Votes: 19 44.2%
  • ...or Both

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
:drool: ...;

proxy.php
"If you look upon [a crumpet, bacon, poached eggs, hollandaise] and lust [with the same eye]...you've already committed breakfast in your heart”. Anonymous

I only like butter on crumpets, but various toppings on muffins. The best muffins were from Fortnum & Mason, London. Topped with butter and Fortnum‘s Royal Sovereign Strawberry conserve they were delicious. Unfortunately both muffins and conserve were discontinued, must be around seven or eight years ago now.

Sir Winston Churchill’s false teeth were sold at auction in the UK a few days ago for £18,000. I wonder how many crumpets and muffins they’d chomped on.

Last edited:
I only like butter on crumpets, but various toppings on muffins. The best muffins were from Fortnum & Mason, London. Topped with butter and Fortnum‘s Royal Sovereign Strawberry conserve they were delicious. Unfortunately both muffins and conserve were discontinued, must be around seven or eight years ago now.

Sir Winston Churchill’s false teeth were sold at auction in the UK a few days ago for £18,000. I wonder how many crumpets and muffins they’d chomped on.
Not many. Churchill had half a bottle of whisky for breakfast.

Straight from the horse’s mouth. A London muffin & crumpets seller circa 1840.

Attachments

• 47B0207F-A44F-40F1-A316-46C0798696C1-975-0000016EB07FCDD0.jpg
    47B0207F-A44F-40F1-A316-46C0798696C1-975-0000016EB07FCDD0.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 10

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
"clotted cream"?! :eek2: Is there an American equivalent I might know about?

"Clotted Cream" in England, "Devonshire Cream" in Canada. (shrug)

Sounds easy enough to make for yourself, but that's my evaluation. Hmmm. There is an alternative but not an exact match. The process I use to make cultured butter can, if only taken partway, provide a very nice creme fraiche. To wit:

Take a quart of heavy cream (35 per cent butterfat or higher; I use 38). Pour the quart of cream into a jar of around 1 1/2 quart capacity. Take a large soup-spoonful of plain* live-culture yogurt or skyr. Stir well into the cream and let sit covered on the counter for one or two days. I usually let it ferment for two days, which gives a nice flavour.

Alternatively you can culture the cream with buttermilk from the previous churning, or with boughten buttermilk if you can find it. I find yogurt culture gives more butter yield and thinner buttermilk; skyr culture gives a bit less butter and thicker buttermilk. That won't matter to your creme fraiche. Use what you have.

The cream will turn into a yogurt-like product. Pour/scoop this into a mixer bowl and beat it well to whip. Once it's stiff it's whipped creme fraiche and excellent on just about anything, even your finger. :) Beat it too long and it will first get "sandy" looking, then "rocky" and finally the mixture will "break" into flowers of butter floating in buttermilk. Keep on beating and it'll gather up so you can pour off the buttermilk and press the liquid out of the butter.

* Vanilla flavoured yogurt is NOT plain yogurt! Also, it's sweetened. Neither one of which do you want in your creme fraiche or butter or buttermilk! Plain, live-culture yogurt or skyr. We make those, too.

O.H.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Ken:
Yes...it's called butter (high fat content). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“Hot crumpets, [and hot english muffins] with butter and jam - what could be more [delicious]"? William Boyd

Are you certain it wouldn't be called heavy cream instead of butter?
...I meant in the US...it's 'classified'
as such. 🤷🏽‍♂️

1708705199321.jpeg
"Butter is usually the first thing and the last thing in just about every [recipe]". Chef Anthony Bourdain

What with keeping a couple of sourdough cultures active I always have discard of one sort or the other. Sourdough crumpets is dead easy. In fact, the recipe card pretty much lives by the stove. English Muffins take a little more work so we don't get them very often.

O.H.
My youngest son has just started his sourdough journey. I missed out on the crumpets a few days back. I'll be agitating for their quick return.

Seems obvious that fresh made breads are best, so I'm voting crumpet given that fresh sourdough E muffs are less likely to pop out of our kitchen.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My youngest son has just started his sourdough journey.

Cool! Here's sourdough crumpets for you:

1 cup sourdough (fresh or discard, old or new, cold or room temp)
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3/8 tsp. baking soda

Put all in a medium bowl (because it expands) and beat it all together. Heat griddle to 300F, grease crumpet rings. Cook about five minutes on one side, until the top is fairly dry and has lots of bubble holes. Remove the rings and flip the crumpets; cook another five or so minutes until done. Then, as Peter Reinhart says, since we want to make sure they're dead, toast them. :)

I have a very nice set of handmade stainless steel crumpet rings imported from a British baking supply house at considerable expense. They are a lovely excuse to use the kind of language I use too much anyway. I also have a set of the cheap silicone "egg/crumpet" rings you can get in most grocery stores, and they're great.

Using the cheap rings, this recipe makes about 6 crumpets -- so scale as needed to feed the masses.

O.H.

Top Bottom