What's new

What is your sharpening method for kitchen and/or folding knives?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just use these simple sharpening tools and just don't over think it because it will not make much of a difference for final edge results.
I find the best edge for strength is a surgeons scalpel edge type or 3 facet edge. They last a little longer and are stronger + easy to touch up has been my experiences. Unless your doing this for a living I'm not sure much more is needed. I like to use diamond and ceramic abrasives mostly and you should not need much more than that and are very cost effective and don't let anyone tell you different.
When I sharpen edges for other folks I use some electric tape to protect the edge after sharpened until they get home and warn them they are very sharp and they still cut themselves because they are use to dull knifes that just don't do the job that well and they think the same when using razor sharp edge and end up getting a nasty cut (warnings protection or labels do not work for some folks). Most kitchen knifes wear near the last 2 inches from the tip because they are used on ceramic plates when cutting meats + others folks like my wife, my children and friends do think about knife edges or care that much has been my conclusion.
Once they cut themselves they respect the knife edge a lot more.
(Old archived photo's of knife sharpening gear I use around the kitchen all the time. Click photo to enlarge.)
These where the first knife edge tools I used at first and the results mostly.
Knife sharpening 1.jpg
A few simple sharpening tools.jpg
Lansky Diamond & ceramic Knife sharpening 2.jpg

Lansky ceramic diamond sharpener and my improved board angles I made for safer and more accurate angles. Lansky edge results seen under a hobby USB microscope I bought years ago. They look rough but are about 400X magnification and show the results. The edge does last for a while and needs a touch up with a ceramic steel to get a keen edge back to easy cutting.
Lansky knife edge results below!
steak knife 6.jpg
steak knife 2.jpg

(below photo)I bought a Ruixin knife sharpener a few years ago and strictly use diamond plates and use a progression of 200>1000 grit plates and edge results are excellent and are plenty sharp enough for cutting meats IMO! I do not use natural stones, not that I'm against using natural grit stones but they do leave a lot of grit behind.
Ruixin knife sharpner with diamond stones sharpenin my Victornix.jpg

Ruixin edge results are very nice and accurate, USB microscope 350- 400X magnification. Surgeons scalpel edge or 3 facet edge shown below in the 2 photo's)
Ruixin pro sharpened a Victornox.jpg
Ruixin Pro sharpened my Victorniox 2.jpg

(Photo below)Scalpel edge or 3 facet edge seems to be a ideal edge for sharpness and strength! These are the 2 angles I like to use when sharpening a knife, a scalpel's edge is the sharpest and strongest of edges from my limited research!
Scalpel or 3 facet edge.jpg

Enjoy your sharpened knifes!

Nothing wrong with an EdgePro Apex! I have been working on free hand with Washitas and other natural stones for a few years. But the control of the bevel angle that you get with an EdgePro is a game changer - until or unless you can get a stable bevel angle freehand an EdgePro will win every time!

I use the EdgePro Pro eddition and have been for the past 20 years. I still would like the scissors attachment but haven't found the "need" for it yet. I tried by hand for a long time but felt I was not getting the angles symmetrical enough to be at the level of sharpness I was trying to obtain.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just use these simple sharpening tools and just don't over think it because it will not make much of a difference for final edge results.
I find the best edge for strength is a surgeons scalpel edge type or 3 facet edge. They last a little longer and are stronger + easy to touch up has been my experiences. Unless your doing this for a living I'm not sure much more is needed. I like to use diamond and ceramic abrasives mostly and you should not need much more than that and are very cost effective and don't let anyone tell you different.
When I sharpen edges for other folks I use some electric tape to protect the edge after sharpened until they get home and warn them they are very sharp and they still cut themselves because they are use to dull knifes that just don't do the job that well and they think the same when using razor sharp edge and end up getting a nasty cut (warnings protection or labels do not work for some folks). Most kitchen knifes wear near the last 2 inches from the tip because they are used on ceramic plates when cutting meats + others folks like my wife, my children and friends do think about knife edges or care that much has been my conclusion.
Once they cut themselves they respect the knife edge a lot more.
(Old archived photo's of knife sharpening gear I use around the kitchen all the time. Click photo to enlarge.)
These where the first knife edge tools I used at first and the results mostly.
View attachment 1820282 View attachment 1820281 View attachment 1820284
Lansky ceramic diamond sharpener and my improved board angles I made for safer and more accurate angles. Lansky edge results seen under a hobby USB microscope I bought years ago. They look rough but are about 400X magnification and show the results. The edge does last for a while and needs a touch up with a ceramic steel to get a keen edge back to easy cutting.
Lansky knife edge results below!
View attachment 1820288 View attachment 1820289

(below photo)I bought a Ruixin knife sharpener a few years ago and strictly use diamond plates and use a progression of 200>1000 grit plates and edge results are excellent and are plenty sharp enough for cutting meats IMO! I do not use natural stones, not that I'm against using natural grit stones but they do leave a lot of grit behind.
View attachment 1820285

Ruixin edge results are very nice and accurate, USB microscope 350- 400X magnification. Surgeons scalpel edge or 3 facet edge shown below in the 2 photo's)
View attachment 1820286 View attachment 1820287

(Photo below)Scalpel edge or 3 facet edge seems to be a ideal edge for sharpness and strength! These are the 2 angles I like to use when sharpening a knife, a scalpel's edge is the sharpest and strongest of edges from my limited research!
View attachment 1820311

Enjoy your sharpened knifes!
Ron, I added that sharpener to my Amazon wishlist.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thank you for sharing!
Do you usually do several touch ups on the 40 degree angle before sharpening the 30 degree angle again?
I usually sharpen the 30 degree included angle first until a burr finally comes on the other side and then the other side the same way. The 40 degree angle is done last with only a 3 or 4 final strokes or what ever you prefer. I use a inclinometer for the 40 degree, the device is set at 15 degrees(30 degree included angle) off the start the way it is designed. All that is needed is 5 degrees approximately to make a included angle of 40 degrees on final angle.
The 40 degree angle makes edge stronger and removes most of the burr also I find this works well, you have to tinker with the sharpening machine until find that sweet spot and it is not rocket science so try not to overthink the machines IMO. Some times I freehand with a 1000 grit stone to get a razor edge, I use purchase receipt papers for slicing for sharpness , very thin paper and it will tell me if a edge needs fine tuning a little or a burr might be giving the edge issues. Ceramic stone also works well for fine tuning a edge.
When recipe paper slices clean that is all that needed! Move on to the next knife to be sharpened. I find I like to free hand for small touch ups and use the sharpening devices when edge get to far gone. I find I enjoy a sharp edge and my knifes are deadly sharp when I use them and the rest of the family knows how to use the knifes with caution.
Enjoy your sharp knifes!

Lansky Turnbox. Works a treat - so simple even I can use it, and so effective and life-changing for people who don't generally sharpen knives, that I've gifted a couple.

I bought it early in the pandemic when the local grocery store stopped accepting knives for sharpening.

Legion

Staff member
I was cutting a bunch of tomatoes yesterday, and honed the knife beforehand, because tomatoes.

Best all time kitchen edge…. Maybe…. Shapton glass 500, followed by a bit of a polish on a BBW. Tomato lightsaber.

I did a similar progression quite a while ago on a CCK and got a great result, but kind of put it down to a bit of a fluke. But no, SG500 + a lick on a natural stone is the bomb.

Top Bottom