What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Gojira ('54), the original Japanese version of Godzilla, King of Monsters ('56). I started out trying to re-watch the U.S. (Raymond Burr) version that I grew up with, but once you've seen the original, you can't re-watch the dumbed-down U.S. version, which toned down the nuclear references, deleted and rearranged scenes, and added Burr to explain to dumb U.S. kids what was taking place. The original Gojira is still the best Godzilla film, with Shin Godzilla my #2. Looking forward to Godzilla Minus One on BD.

proxy.php

Watched Wildcat (2024) at the Sonoma International Film Festival. Sort of a tepid exploration of one of my favorite author's life, Flannery O'Connor. Some decent moments and some big stars.

I take it you watched in the comfort of home. I went with Mrs. Chef and a couple friends. One of our friends was woken by his own snoring. That's a flat stinker.
I did at home using Apple+ with the Mrs. We actually discussed turning it off but fell into the sunk cost fallacy. It was long, boring, and historically inaccurate. You know, all the things people look for in movies.

Dan Curtis's Dracula on Svengoolie. Seems Dan Curtis, the director, was born in the same CT city as me and my mom, although Dan was a year older than mom. Probably St. Vincents hospital like most back there.
FYI my mom was a candy striper at the hospital and had to walk home through a graveyard at night after seeing The Wolfman.

My girls asked me to watch High School Musical with them last night. I'm certainly not the target audience. It was humorous to see the different fashion at the time, and of course the cell phones. That said, I did my best to get my "Head in the Game" to enjoy it along with them. After all, "We're All in this Together".

My girls asked me to watch High School Musical with them last night. I'm certainly not the target audience. It was humorous to see the different fashion at the time, and of course the cell phones. That said, I did my best to get my "Head in the Game" to enjoy it along with them. After all, "We're All in this Together".
my youngest girl was the target demo when the movie first came out. We watched it a lot, even bought it on DVD.

Great post. Thanks. I knew something about Bernstein from growing up during a time when he was a cultural force. Other things I read up on.
Thank you and no problem.

The movie did allow us to look into the life of a man who we do not know much about. A persons personal life does inform their decisions going forward and this can be seen in the movie.

Will I take the time to learn more about the man? Probably not. I will enjoy his music ever chance I get though.

I understand that his daughter, oldest I think, has a book out that might be worthwhile reading.

Famous Father Girl: A Memoir of Growing Up Bernstein​

If you have not seen Ferrari yet, it is worth the watch. The professional critics weren't crazy about it, but people in the racing world gave it high marks. By the way, it is not about the car company or the Grand Prix team.

Ready Player One. I read the book a couple years ago, and found it ok. I received the movie as a gift, but never really got around to watching it. Upon hearing that Ready Player 2 is in the works, I decided to finally watch this one. Like the book, I'd give it a solid "OK". Definitely a few changes made, but I do feel the adaptation did a good job of capturing the feel of the book. I'm still not sure if I'll get around to reading Ready Player 2 or not.
Good review. That is about the way I felt about the movie and the book.

Top Bottom