What's new

Oscars

I did not end up watching any of the Oscars this time, but they seemed to come out okay. I know I seem to be overly negative, but i did not think it was a great year for movies. I have not yet seen Pretty Things. I like Emma Stone, though.

Even though I did not love the movie as much as some do, I probably would have gone Paul Giamatti for Holdovers. I would say DaVine Joy Randolph was a reasonable pick.

I am adding this to my post. The screen play awards for American Fiction and Anatomy of a Fall seem right.

Last edited:
I try not to watch them, it just encourages nutty people to think that the way they behave is normal.
That is a fair analysis. I know the both of us really like film. For that matter know something about film/film history. I could have watched the Academy Awards. I was watching other things on TV at the time. I was interested in who won what. But I found myself not wanting to switch over to the Academy Awards even for a few minutes.

I slogged through the whole thing. It was a traditional show, unfunny jokes, some decent songs. I will say the political whining was at an ebb, with only a couple making references. All in all it was a safe ceremony.

One can pray that it's a trend!
No one wants to voluntarily watch someone constantly tell you that they think you're stupid.
Especially when it’s people that play pretend for a living. My grandson thinks he is a ninja turtle and he is pretty convincing, however I don’t value his political opinion. He is very mature for a 4 year old though.

I don’t think I’ve seen the Oscar’s or any awards show in years. It’s just not entertaining for me. I did see that Oppenheimer won big and they got that right. I thought it was an excellent movie.

The biggest shock to me was Emma Stone's win. She was outstanding in Poor Things, but the front runner, Lily Gladstone, seemed to be a shoe-in. My wife and youngest daughter watched with me and we all completed ballots to pick who we thought would win (not should win). My wife won this year. I think I had 4 wrong, including the Best Actress award.

I always found it interesting that celebrities, musicians and athletes feel their opinions carry more weight than an average person.

All the information relevant to any situation is available on the web or a multitude of programs. You can find right, left or in the middle if you choose. It’s entirely your responsibility to make the choice that aligns with your morals or beliefs.

I like Jackson Browne, and have listened to him for years. I think Running on Empty is a song that defines a time in most people’s lives. However, his politics get old. He still has his opinions that he is entitled to. It just doesn’t set well with his audience as most of the people at his concerts are well into their late 50s and 60s . Opinions are set at this age and telling someone that they need to be more conscious of the environment when you have a diesel tour bus for just you running in the parking lot doesn’t land well.

I was at a concert and he started to give his standard speech, this caused the audience to start booing and telling him to just sing. He stopped and said that people understand what to expect when they come and more or less live with it. Several people left. It kind of divided the people we were around and it was getting pretty tense. One guy in particular in front of me was making things uncomfortable and I reached over loud enough for him to hear and said, “ Well we are in a lecture hall, relax”. People started laughing and I told him don’t let it ruin yours or anyone else’s evening. The rest of the night was fine, however it was my last concert.

I realize music has a place in social discourse , always has, always will. It’s ok to make a brief comment, however I just want to be entertained and not attend an extended political or environmental rally.

Last edited:
I guess I can't say that any politics presented at the Oscars has discouraged me from watching them. I think I am discouraged more for the reasons nicely stated by DrStrange. Great analogy. And at the Oscar's it is not really the best employee of the year being selected for an award, but the person the company thinks it will be most benefitted by to select as employee of the year.

this caused the audience to start booing and telling him to just sing. He stopped and said that people understand what to expect when they come and more or less live with it. Several people left.
Where did this concert take place? With all respect, this does not sound like an audience that had a lot of knowledge of Jackson Browne and what he and his shows have been like for decades. I have other reasons for thinking he is likely a jerk personally. but I do love quite a bit of his music, as you seem to. I have to say I am kind of with Jackson here as it does not sound like he was violating any expectations based upon past performance of what a Jackson Browne concert is like!

I guess I can't say that any politics presented at the Oscars has discouraged me from watching them. I think I am discouraged more for the reasons nicely stated by DrStrange. Great analogy. And at the Oscar's it is not really the best employee of the year being selected for an award, but the person the company thinks it will be most benefitted by to select as employee of the year.

Where did this concert take place? With all respect, this does not sound like an audience that had a lot of knowledge of Jackson Browne and what he and his shows have been like for decades. I have other reasons for thinking he is likely a jerk personally. but I do love quite a bit of his music, as you seem to. I have to say I am kind of with Jackson here as it does not sound like he was violating any expectations based upon past performance of what a Jackson Browne concert is like!
It happened in Akron at a Lecture hall on campus a couple years ago.

We went to Nashville and he happened to be playing at the amphitheater so we got tickets. The couple beside us were classic rock fans in their early 40s and had just seen Steely Dan, they were pumped to see Jackson Browne. He started with the vote for this candidate speech and went into a speech about plastic water bottles. The couple was not impressed and said the music was good , but didn’t need a lecture. I told them this was the norm and they said it was a one and done for them. I think it depends on how long he lectures, the longer he went the more people became agitated.

With him I have seen the good, bad and ugly. The first time I saw him he was so drunk he literally fell off the stool he was sitting on. The second time was crazy good. It was the Running on Empty Tour. I have seen him another 4 or so times, and would like to see him again. You have to wonder how much longer some of these groups will tour. I would like to see Clapton one more time, but I don’t see that happening.

Last edited:
I think it depends on how long he lectures, the longer he went the more people became agitated.
Fair enough! It has been a long time since I have seen him in concert! Steely Dan then Jackson Browne. Not a bad couple of concerts! Although the last time I saw Dan they seemed to have lost a bit of energy from the time I had seen them just a couple of years previous.

Jackson Browne is now 75 years old, the internet tells me. He is probably not going to change his mind about how he does his shows either. As you indicate, age will make a person, including me, and probably Jackson, rather set in their ways!

Fair enough! It has been a long time since I have seen him in concert! Steely Dan then Jackson Browne. Not a bad couple of concerts! Although the last time I saw Dan they seemed to have lost a bit of energy from the time I had seen them just a couple of years previous.

Jackson Browne is now 75 years old, the internet tells me. He is probably not going to change his mind about how he does his shows either. As you indicate, age will make a person, including me, and probably Jackson, rather set in their ways!
The thing that attracts me to Jackson Browne is one the music and two how self aware he is. He says some pretty self deprecating things in concert. He has a live recording where an audience member yells out : Hey do you remember Birds Of St Martins . He laughed and said: See, at my age they don’t ask you if you will play it they ask you if you remember it. In Nashville he said: Welcome to Nashville where everyone is a guitar virtuoso. I can’t hold a candle to some of these guys playing in the bars. As you said he knows who he is.

I always found it interesting that celebrities, musicians and athletes feel their opinions carry more weight than an average person.

All the information relevant to any situation is available on the web or a multitude of programs. You can find right, left or in the middle if you choose. It’s entirely your responsibility to make the choice that aligns with your morals or beliefs.

I like Jackson Browne, and have listened to him for years. I think Running on Empty is a song that defines a time in most people’s lives. However, his politics get old. He still has his opinions that he is entitled to. It just doesn’t set well with his audience as most of the people at his concerts are well into their late 50s and 60s . Opinions are set at this age and telling someone that they need to be more conscious of the environment when you have a diesel tour bus for just you running in the parking lot doesn’t land well.

I was at a concert and he started to give his standard speech, this caused the audience to start booing and telling him to just sing. He stopped and said that people understand what to expect when they come and more or less live with it. Several people left. It kind of divided the people we were around and it was getting pretty tense. One guy in particular in front of me was making things uncomfortable and I reached over loud enough for him to hear and said, “ Well we are in a lecture hall, relax”. People started laughing and I told him don’t let it ruin yours or anyone else’s evening. The rest of the night was fine, however it was my last concert.

I realize music has a place in social discourse , always has, always will. It’s ok to make a brief comment, however I just want to be entertained and not attend an extended political or environmental rally.
Rock stars are kind of strange. By strange I mean I consider it unusual for a person to have the same political views at 65 as they did at 18. It means that you either had everything figured out when you were 18 (yeah, right) or you haven't observed or learned anything as you got from 18 to 65.

They're like people who never grew up.

I finally saw Poor Things. I guess the best actress pick for Emma Stone was supposed to be the Academy being brave and broadminded. I am guessing it was something of a politically correct pick even though of an establshed actress over a native American woman. I thought the movie itself kind of pulled itself out at the end, but was pretty much a novelty film. I do like Emma Stone. I suppose I don't really care who won best actress.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I'm guilty of happily watching the Oscar's year after year. But I'm a big movie fan and usually see around 75% of what has been nominated. I agree with much that was stated above. I did enjoy the presentations for best and supporting actresses this year. A bit syrupy, but I thought it was nice nonetheless.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
All the information relevant to any situation is available on the web or a multitude of programs.

Nope. I wish we had that, but that is near impossible. Maybe in a few thousand years with insanely advanced Artificial Intelligence.

Top Bottom