What's new

Hard lessons in honing

Lol, I have five coticules now, surely one of them is the magic one that will hone my razors.....
I had this same quest for quite a while. It turned out that once I got the hang of coticule honing, I could put a nice edge on a razor with almost all of my coticules. The only "magic" part is that I don't know what changed as I went from incompetent to competent at putting a razor edge on with a coticule. It happened during a lot of repetition, somehow.

I enjoy having all these coticules, though.

In life I have had many difficult lessons sometimes because of circumstance and sometimes because of my own ignorance, or my stubbornness.
Having been shaving with a straight razor for the last eight or nine years I made the fateful decision to learn to hone at the same time.
Starting with a cheap Chinese water stone I struggled, duh of course I did. After lapping it flat though I could get an edge to shave after a sort, not well or comfortably but it would take off hair, irritate skin, and do blood letting all in one go.
Later I came in to possession of a coticule and was able to get my first pain free shave. Dilucot became my go to honing method, but it still wasn't perfect!
It was at this time the addiction began, many of you would recognize it. I scoured flea markets, antique stores, the big digital Bay looking for the next hit, er hone. I bought stones, bid on stones, even flattened a stone I found in my landscaping, all in pursuit of the all-shaving edge.
One of those lessons came recently. I had found a couple of deals on a couple of King stones, a 1k/6k, and a G-1 8k finishing stone.
Grabbing my "Robeson's best" razor I set a bevel, worked it up to 8k. I always do a quick arm hair test between hones to judge progress and all seemed well till I took it to the translucent Arkansas stone I like to "finish" on. At this time I need to stress that "finish" is in quotes as after finishing on it I found that the razor no longer cut hair comfortable. So back to the 8k it went and after the Arkansas it was once again obvious the edge was bad.
Deciding to experiment I took the razor back to the 8k and instead of my no name translucent I finished on my Norton 4x1 translucent HB14. Bang just like that the edge was screaming sharp.
I shaved with that razor and it felt like nothing on my skin but I had the best shave I have had in all the time I have been shaving with a straight razor.
I decided to investigate what could have gone wrong and really looked over the no name Arkansas. Turns out that when I flattened it my food enough just wasn't good enough. So back to lapping it went now I'm suffering from an inflamed elbow but I got a flat stone out of it that finishes beautiful.
My second lesson is that apparently my dilucot technique isn't up to snuff and I'm deeply annoyed with that. I suspect all of this could have been avoided if I had just sent a razor out for honing.
But if you sent it out to be honed you would have missed out on the joy of victory.

Coticules are like JNats, truly great ones for razors are maybe 2% of the lot.
I agree that "truly great" stones do happen. I have one JNat like that. It cost me far, far less than many others. Often enough, when I forget what stone put the edge on the razor I just shaved with, and want to know, because the edge seemed beyond perfect, I look it up and yup, it was that stone again.

But it's not a thing you can rely on finding, nor is it wise to chase. I can put wonderful edges on with a bunch of other JNats. None of my coticules is likely in your "truly great" category, but if I can make comfortable, keen edges on them, edges I love shaving with, what does it matter?

The better I get at honing, the smaller the gap between that "truly great" stone and the others.

Coticules are like JNats, truly great ones for razors are maybe 2% of the lot.

Depends on what you want. If you want Jnat/Ark/Thuri level refinement? Yeah; probably in the 2% ballpark... maybe as high as 5%, but not much over that certainly... these are the stones I go after mostly; when I do buy a solo coticule these days... which to be fair is pretty rare... I like the ones I've got and haven't gotten spendy on a coticule in at least 2 years.

If you want a nice Salm/fine La Veinette/other quality vein finish (not as sharp as Thuri; but exceptionally smooth and easy to use)... if you stick to vintage stones: you're looking at; minimum 10% and I'd say closer to 25-30%... They're not THAT rare.
And I think this is what MOST coticule buyers are after.

If you're buying modern stuff; sorry... but the bar for a modern razor coticule simply is lower than the avg of surviving vintage coticules. I have stopped counting my coticules ages and ages ago... but I'm safely over 200 vintages bought and about ten moderns. There are plenty of good modern coticules out there; but there's a reason LV's and LL's get snatched up and requested constantly... they're just better/more consistently good.

Of my coticules I've owned...

Bottom 4 are vintages. (Including 3 I would say aren't good enough to finish a razor and one that was just very meh).
The next 6-8 are all moderns... (maybe a few more Meh vintages can get tossed in here. Mostly fast but a little subpar refinement glued combos.)
The next 100 or so are the remaining 3 (best) moderns (a Dressante, a LVein, and a LL) and a bunch of vintages. Maybe you could throw a modern la Verte I owned in here too... Shave was fine, I didn't like the feel under the razor... so I'd lean towards putting it in the previous group.
Then there is a pile of well over 100 vintages that beat any modern I've used.

Last edited:
As a follow up I went on a spending spree for stones and purchased a Shapton ha no kuromaku 320, m15 12k, m15 5k (not here yet), King 6k s-1 cheap, king 8k g-1, suehiro cerax 1010 to replace my old king 1k/6k, diamond lapping plate, while none of these are high end stones my hope is they will help me make a predictable, consistent edge.
I proceeded to hone my Griffon 60 on the 1k to set reset bevel suddenly it became obvious that my bevels prior weren't any where near what I thought they were, but in the spirit of discovery I proceeded on to the 6k, 8k, and just about 12 strokes on the 12k. Stropped and shaved. Shave was decently smooth but felt harsh.
I then followed the advice to break out the microscope. In this case a vintage Southern Precision inspection scope with 60x magnification. Bevel was ugly chewed up and uneven though it appeared to have achieved an apex.
Back to the stones I went. This time I gently breadknifed the edge on the 6k and began honing. Slowing down I noticed that I wasn't skimming water across the whole edge, the blade was warped in the middle and I had never noticed it. I stopped honing and broke out the 320 grit and using the diamond plat I made a slurry and gave the blade hell, while this may not be technically correct I ground that sucker till it was more flatter, better, gooder!
Now when I set the bevel I didn't have as many issues though I don't believe I completely removed the warp things felt better and smother. I proceeded to the rest of the progression I did before. After honing put the microscope to the blade and examined the bevel, much better looking though many large stray scratches still appear.
Haven't shaved with it yet but maybe if my beard has grown enough then tonight. I do have one remaining issue, there seems to be tiny rust inclusions in the metal I say this because I removed a fair amount of metal and new ones appeared.

I had this same quest for quite a while. It turned out that once I got the hang of coticule honing, I could put a nice edge on a razor with almost all of my coticules. The only "magic" part is that I don't know what changed as I went from incompetent to competent at putting a razor edge on with a coticule. It happened during a lot of repetition, somehow.

I enjoy having all these coticules, though.
I can see this with razor honing and to be honest I'm there too. I've got the finishing coticules I'll own until I die but those coarse, hard, very fast ones are few and far in between and that's all I look for now out now just for knives and tools. But I've sold off a lot of good finishing coticules this last year.

It is not really “that” difficult, and we, the fora make it much more difficult than it needs to be.

All you need is a good quality coarse stone, a good finisher and perhaps some paste like Chrome oxide in the .50um range, for better comfort.

The biggest “mistake” new honers make is not fully setting the bevel. A fully set bevel is flat, from heel to toe, in the correct bevel angle and meeting fully from heel to toe.

The trick is how do you know? There are a host of test, that you must calibrate for yourself. Calibrate, understand when a test passes, and more importantly when it does not.

The simplest “test” is to look straight down on the edge with low magnification. If you see shiny reflections, the bevels are not meeting. Joint the edge and hone on the bevel setter until you do not see shiny reflections.

Once the bevels are meeting fully, then remove all the deep stria with the following stone to refine the edge. A 1k, 4-6k and 8-12k progression is all you need, and you can drop the mid grit and jump straight to 8-12k if your technique is good. It can be done but for a new honer not recommended.

Where guys fail, is not getting the bevels to meet fully at bevel set and not removing all the deep bevel setting stria fully.

A pro hone razor will teach you nothing except what your razor is capable of. The question most new guys ask is, “how do I know when I am finished at each grit”.

Google (My Second Try at Honing). It is a long post of a new honer, the second razor he had honed, with excellent micrographs of his bevels at each step of the progression.

All you need to do is make your bevels look like his bevels at each step of the progression. He did not use any magic stones, I think he used a Norton 1,4 & 8K, finished on a Naniwa 12k.

Almost set

View attachment 1760461

Fully Set

View attachment 1760463
This is a good sumation of my "home it until it's right" philosophy. Though a few blades may die.

I think I'm still using too much pressure, but getting there. Been training on a soft 220 grit stone to repair a yanagiba I screwed up, and it turns out the stone will cut very nicely with just enough pressure on the knife to keep the edge aligned on the stone. I've taken off a lot more steel and a LOT less stone just wiping the blade back and forth. Might have to flatten the Naniwa 220 superstone I quit using because it wore too fast for me, and quit leaning on the knife!

Need to apply that to my razors -- I suspect hollow ground razor bevels will flex enough to keep the edge off the stone forever will too much pressure.

Random deep scratches are probably grit contamination, and those King stones are soft enough for a loose particle to embed in them. I have the same issue, need to clean up my stones and stone tank. Only takes one or two large particles to make a mess of a razor. I do like my King 6 and 8k stones though. The S-1 in particular seems to stay flat forever and cut very quickly with light pressure, and never loads up like some others I've tried.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I think I'm still using too much pressure, but getting there.

Here are some tips that might help.

Try hand held honing, it’s harder to use excessive pressure, and the stone will rotate a little to accommodate your stroke if it isn’t perfect.

Slow down. If you use slow strokes, the pressure will lighten unless you trying not to.

Use shorter strokes. Same as above, pressure twmds to become lighter.

Try using all tnree at once and see what kind of edge that you get.

Good honing!

Steve

Top Bottom