What's new

Oscar Noms

I have not put a lot of study or thought into this yet, and it feels a little like looking over a Rolling Stone list of best ofs, where some choices are clearly made to stir up controversy/discussion. But I thought we would end up with a thread on this eventually, so I might as well start one. I llsuppose it was fairly predictable. Even though I did not like Holdovers as much as some crtics did, I really thought it would get lots of nominations. I do think Alexander Payne should have gotten a nom for best director.

American Fiction did okay, which seems appropriate. Killers of the Flower Moon, except foe DeCaprio, did well, as did Oppenheimer and Maestro. I did not really love any of those movies. Barbie picked up some nominations. More than I expected, but I like that.

I don’t care about the Oscars or respect their opinions about movies, but I did enjoy that they nominated everybody from the Barbie movie except Barbie. I wonder what Margot Robbie did to upset them. They basically said “we loved everything about the movie except you; you were awful”.

I was going to add the Oscars to my "To Do" list, but I didn't have room, and didn't want to bump "getting dental work without anesthesia" off the list.
Fair enough. I do not think I was at all suggesting that anyone actually watch the Oscars award show! That is an inhumanly painful activity.

I do really like film, and I find some amusement in following the various awards at least a little bit, at least in years when I have seem a lot of the movies that seem to be in contention for awards in various categories. It is really a story for another day, but one year my wife and I did a "marathon" where we watched most of the movies up for best picture we had not previously seen back to back in one day. It really was a marathon, but that was strangely satisfying and informative. We have also gone to presentations of all of the shorts up for awards back to back. Again, highly satisfying. Some reall quality work there we, at least, do not usually get to see at all.)

I think this year has been an interesting one in film and I have seen quite a few of them. There seem to be a lot of films the critics think were great/important. Judging by their lengths, I guess, the filmmakers thought they were important, too. I feel like I am coming across as complaining and overly critical, but I was not all that impressed. Although Barbie, Holdovers, and American Fiction had some impressive aspects.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Fair enough. I do not think I was at all suggesting that anyone actually watch the Oscars award show! That is an inhumanly painful activity.

I do really like film, and I find some amusement in following the various awards at least a little bit, at least in years when I have seem a lot of the movies that seem to be in contention for awards in various categories. It is really a story for another day, but one year my wife and I did a "marathon" where we watched most of the movies up for best picture we had not previously seen back to back in one day. It really was a marathon, but that was strangely satisfying and informative. We have also gone to presentations of all of the shorts up for awards back to back. Again, highly satisfying. Some reall quality work there we, at least, do not usually get to see at all.)

I think this year has been an interesting one in film and I have seen quite a few of them. There seem to be a lot of films the critics think were great/important. Judging by their lengths, I guess, the filmmakers thought they were important, too. I feel like I am coming across as complaining and overly critical, but I was not all that impressed. Although Barbie, Holdovers, and American Fiction had some impressive aspects.
Nothing untoward meant, I apologize for the comment. It was intended as humor more than anything else, and it's quite out of place in a serious discussion.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I don’t care about the Oscars or respect their opinions about movies, but I did enjoy that they nominated everybody from the Barbie movie except Barbie. I wonder what Margot Robbie did to upset them. They basically said “we loved everything about the movie except you; you were awful”.
I was truly surprised that Greta Gerwig was missing from the Best Director category for Barbie. Her fingerprints were all over Barbie which was nominated for supporting actor/actress, costume and production design, original song, adapted screenplay and Best Picture. Not recognizing Margot Robbie for Best Actress and Greta Gerwig for Best Director makes no sense to me.

... Killers of the Flower Moon, except foe DeCaprio, did well....
Off topic, or sort of.
I don't go to movie theaters (I don't pay for any movie subscription as well). Killers of the Flower Moon was a rare exception. My son and I did not have anything better to do and decided to give the movie industry some of our money, for one time. Di Caprio was unwatchable but he movie itself was probably well made. Different. We lasted about twenty minutes, then we left.

My wife and I have ignored Oscars films since we married in '69. We rarely go, rarely agree, and never care about the winners in any catagory. As far as I'm concerned, the last great movie to come out of Hollywood was 1959 ON THE BEACH. My wife finds that one too depressing to watch, especially these days.

Nothing untoward meant, I apologize for the comment. It was intended as humor more than anything else, and it's quite out of place in a serious discussion.
Phil! Nothing untoward or out of place at all!!! Certainly no apology needed. And, of course, it was intended as humor, and it was funny! I mean how seriously can anyone--unless they are in the movie business, I suppose!--take the Academy Award nominations. I sure took no offense, and I know I was being overly defensive in over explaining why I pay any attention at all.

And I know you are a film buff, with excellent taste in cinema, or at least similar taste to mine! Your concern is touching, but no worries at all!

My wife finds that one too depressing to watch, especially these days.
It was probably a tad depressing to watch even in 1959. Great film, but I would say Hollywood has come out with lots of great films over the decades. Although not every year is a good one for films. I am concerned that I am being overly negative about this years films!

We have really just started going back to movie theaters. It has been more fun than I thought it would be. And I have appreciated being able to get recently released major films on pay per view.

Not recognizing Margot Robbie for Best Actress and Greta Gerwig for Best Director makes no sense to me.
I thought Barbie was terrific, and Greta Gerwing has done some terrific work. I guess I am more surprised that Barbie picked up any nominations. It just does not seem like the kind of movie, in this case I would say, quirky comedy, advanced social satire, the academy recognizes as having great merit.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There have always been movies (and actors too) that audiences loved and spent incredible amounts of money to see that were never even slightly recognized by the Academy.
I don't know if it is in-Academy politics or the concept that a film must have some deep meaning or be an example of the perfection of the art in order to win.
I find that I agree with very few professional critics, and I seem to be in agreement with fewer every year.
I could not, under any circumstances, imagine a movie like Barbie being nominated - let alone winning any major Oscar.
Set or costume design, cinematography, or some other technical award possibly.
Not one of the top ones though.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I try to tune in each year. Maybe not watch the entire thing but I like to see the surprises (like the slap). You never know what *these people are going to preach about while they make their acceptance speeches. I find that entertaining. It’s like….if you just watch hockey for the fights. That’s the way I watch the Oscars and award shows. The unexpected stuff.

After watching the Primetime Emmy’s I would not be the least bit surprised if Barbie wins quite a few or everything. We are in the midst of a societal shift. Social norms have changed. All these award shows have begun to reflect that change. Pro sports franchises were early adopters. But every form of entertainment is shifting.

*yes, I mean ”these people” exactly like you think I do - Elitists out of touch with reality self centered egoistical entertaining robots.

I stopped paying attention to movies when my kids were born, but always knew which Pixar film would win Best Animated Film. Since I don’t watch movies I don’t care about the Oscars.

That said, I did watch Barbie when it hit the streaming and liked it a lot. Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig got jobbed. They deserved to be nominated.

I find that I agree with very few professional critics, and I seem to be in agreement with fewer every year.
I am very much with you on that. I am somewhat surprised to "hear" myself saying that, but I think it is true. I was going to say that I miss Roger Ebert, but I definitely miss Gene Siskel, too. I wonder what they would have thought about Barbie.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am very much with you on that. I am somewhat surprised to "hear" myself saying that, but I think it is true. I was going to say that I miss Roger Ebert, but I definitely miss Gene Siskel, too. I wonder what they would have thought about Barbie.
They were good critics, but they were a great team.
Invariably I would watch a film if either gave it a thumbs up.
If they both did, it was a must see.

I am very surprised that Barbie is nominated at all. It is a cute, fun and visually appealing movie, but not Oscar worthy IMO. Maybe hair, makeup and other visual type awards and music/songs. It was cute but it is no Oppenheimer.

Robbie was pretty good but Ryan Gosling was cringeworthy IMO and I think he is generally fantastic. Were they better in Barbie than Paul Giamatti in The Holdovers or Carey Mulligan in Maestro? I would personally say no.

To each their own, but I am not surprised at the Barbie snubs.

I liked the movie Elf a lot as an example. But should Will Ferrell have been nominated for Best Actor, Bob Newhart for Best Supporting and John Favreau for Best Director? In the same vein as Barbie, no. 🤪

YMMV and all of that. 👍

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I am very surprised that Barbie is nominated at all. It is a cute, fun and visually appealing movie, but not Oscar worthy IMO. Maybe hair, makeup and other visual type awards and music/songs. It was cute but it is no Oppenheimer.

Robbie was pretty good but Ryan Gosling was cringeworthy IMO and I think he is generally fantastic. Were they better in Barbie than Paul Giamatti in The Holdovers or Carey Mulligan in Maestro? I would personally say no.

To each their own, but I am not surprised at the Barbie snubs.

I liked the movie Elf a lot as an example. But should Will Ferrell have been nominated for Best Actor, Bob Newhart for Best Supporting and John Favreau for Best Director? In the same vein as Barbie, no. 🤪

YMMV and all of that. 👍
I think you’re on to something. Wait 5 years, go back and assess the movie and performances. Sometimes the bright shiny objects can be distracting. To craft something both entertaining and enduring with committed human performances takes dedication and craftsmanship. Elf receiving Oscar nods makes sense to me. On the other hand, quantifying art with awards for merit doesn’t. So subjective. Once you get past the pink glitter, I think Barbie delivers some sharp social commentary, entertains and is original all wrapped up with singing, dancing and a bright pink bow. Something is always going to be overlooked on awards night. I know the feeling.

I think Barbie delivers some sharp social commentary
Me, too! I think historically the Academy has focued on big, serious dramas. As I recall, not too many comedies and not too many musicals, at least light-hearted ones get a lot of awards. I think there are lots of reasons for that, and I am not sure the Academy has been wrong. Somehow serious drama seems closer to art than even great comedy. But as folks have said, the Academy is not really about awarding art. I suspect receiving major Oscars--I am not sure who cares about best costumes!--means big dollars to the filmmakes and that all sorts of pressure is applied to get awards to certain films. And/or the academy feels compelled to make awards to certain films. We are really talking Hollywood, a farily closed business, not the French academy of fine films or some other cultural organization.

I am sure the Academy gave awards to Barbie because was striving to remain hip and relevant. The popularity/box office was hard to ignore.

I think Gosling being cringeworthy was part of the idea. But, no, he did not do a better job than Giamatti or, I guess, Mulligan.

As I write this, I guess I conclude that Barbie should have gotten some noms, even though it is not like most of the movies the Academy recognizes. It had just too high a presence in popular culture, and demonstrated some excellent filmmaking.

I really must be a grumpy old guy. I just do not see that any of the big films of 2023, Barbie aside, perhaps, were all that good. I do not see any Godfathers, Citizen Kanes, or that ilk in this group. Many needed an editor. Pretty windy group of films. I suppose if I did not like Sideways so much, I would like the Holdovers more than I do.

Fun discussion.

When you think about what Barbie could have been, cheap, stupid, obvious….and look at what it is, smart, sly and subtle hiding in bright colors and glitz, that takes a lot of work. Gerwig should have that acknowledged with a nomination. Is her work better than Scorsese, Nolan or nominees for more serious films? Maybe not, but credit where credit is due. That movie could have been a technicolor train wreck…but it wasn’t. Far from it, and it was accessible to everyone.

Top Bottom