What's new

Another newbie post - I broke a rule...oh wow!

I decided to give DE shaving a go to feel more "in the moment" and bring a little pampering to what has otherwise been a chore since I was a teenager. It's been fun reading, trying some creams and generally trying to master things.

I've been at this DE thing for about 6 weeks now and have just about tried all of the blades in my first sample purchase, favouring the Feathers above all others. The general approach has been hot shower, apply Proraso menthol pre-shave, apply TOBs creme, then WTG, ATG and then a clean-up and the results have been...okay. Not great, but okay. A little bit of irritation here and there, the occasional weeper and a nick or two now and again. I've been contemplating going back to my Mach3s as so far the experience has resulted in about the same shave quality when all goes well, but taking a lot longer. I do like the TOBs creams though so I figure I'd keep that part of the routine regardless.

So, in spite of the advice to keep all variables constant for a while, I decided to park up the Merkur 34C I've been using and I bought a Muhle R41. I figured it would either change my view or confirm I should stick to cartridges (or possibly kill me if the reviews are anything to go by!).

I used it this morning with the Muhle blade it ships with and did the same WTG, ATG and clean-up passes. The first pass did a surprisingly good job, and after the 3rd pass I thought "oh, oh wow. Now I see what everyone is talking about". By far today was the cleanest shave I've ever had. I haven't been this smooth since I was a kid. It's stupid, but here I am 10 hours later stroking my face thinking "still pretty smooth" and smiling like an idiot. And while I had a couple of weepers, it was on par with what I got with the 34C and the Mach3s before it...

Of course, I have no idea if it's the razor, the blade, technique or just dumb luck, but I'm going to enjoy the feeling and figure it out whenever my beard decides to stop cowering in fear and show itself again. I'm going to try the Muhle again, but does anyone have any recommendations of which blades to try next in the R41?

Is the Muhle blade decent? So far I've used (in order of preference in the Merkur 34C):

Feather (these were the only ones that gave me an okay shave but I might struggle to use daily)
Wilkinson Sword (these felt sharp and I was thinking might be my go-to for daily shaving)
Derby Extra (these were okay, I felt like they gave an irritation-free passable shave)
Astra green (I ended up have to go over and over to get a passable shave)
Gillette Platinum (I don't remember why I didn't like them, but I didn't)
Merkur (struggled to get it to cut, it felt like the blade wasn't in contact with my face)
Parker Premium Platinum (hated these and contemplated pitching them)

Also is this photo ridiculous? I feel like I'm one step away from an episode of Hoarders.
Blades.jpeg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I didn't know Muhle made blades - which might be an indication of their quality (or certainly my ignorance). My suggestion would be to stick with one blade for a while - whatever your favorite is now - so you can work on technique. Weepers are not a required part of shaving, although we've all been through the weeper stage at the beginning and (hopefully) once in a blue moon have a moment of inattention that can still produce a weeper.

Feathers are famous for being very unforgiving of poor technique, so if that's your favorite so far you're doing pretty darn good!

When you're feeling solid with your technique a journey through the many blades available will no doubt be more useful. I suggest you look through a few "10 favorite blades" posts and you'll see some blades surface on many lists. Those are the blades I'd start with.

I decided to give DE shaving a go to feel more "in the moment" and bring a little pampering to what has otherwise been a chore since I was a teenager. It's been fun reading, trying some creams and generally trying to master things.

I've been at this DE thing for about 6 weeks now and have just about tried all of the blades in my first sample purchase, favouring the Feathers above all others. The general approach has been hot shower, apply Proraso menthol pre-shave, apply TOBs creme, then WTG, ATG and then a clean-up and the results have been...okay. Not great, but okay. A little bit of irritation here and there, the occasional weeper and a nick or two now and again. I've been contemplating going back to my Mach3s as so far the experience has resulted in about the same shave quality when all goes well, but taking a lot longer. I do like the TOBs creams though so I figure I'd keep that part of the routine regardless.

So, in spite of the advice to keep all variables constant for a while, I decided to park up the Merkur 34C I've been using and I bought a Muhle R41. I figured it would either change my view or confirm I should stick to cartridges (or possibly kill me if the reviews are anything to go by!).

I used it this morning with the Muhle blade it ships with and did the same WTG, ATG and clean-up passes. The first pass did a surprisingly good job, and after the 3rd pass I thought "oh, oh wow. Now I see what everyone is talking about". By far today was the cleanest shave I've ever had. I haven't been this smooth since I was a kid. It's stupid, but here I am 10 hours later stroking my face thinking "still pretty smooth" and smiling like an idiot. And while I had a couple of weepers, it was on par with what I got with the 34C and the Mach3s before it...

Of course, I have no idea if it's the razor, the blade, technique or just dumb luck, but I'm going to enjoy the feeling and figure it out whenever my beard decides to stop cowering in fear and show itself again. I'm going to try the Muhle again, but does anyone have any recommendations of which blades to try next in the R41?

Is the Muhle blade decent? So far I've used (in order of preference in the Merkur 34C):

Feather (these were the only ones that gave me an okay shave but I might struggle to use daily)
Wilkinson Sword (these felt sharp and I was thinking might be my go-to for daily shaving)
Derby Extra (these were okay, I felt like they gave an irritation-free passable shave)
Merkur (struggled to get it to cut, it felt like the blade wasn't in contact with my face)

Also is this photo ridiculous? I feel like I'm one step away from an episode of Hoarders.
View attachment 1790811
The media would call that an arsenal if they were talking about ammo. But you’re just getting started. Rookie numbers :) not hoarding

Welcome aboard! And, mostly, CONGRATULATIONS on your progress!!

To answer your questions:

1. IMO, the only ‘rule’ is to have fun and ENJOY your shaves! Limiting the number of variables is just a good way to minimize the time needed for many of us to figure out what works best.

2. By B&B standards your blade stash is just a beginners sampler pack! Not a ‘hoard’ at all!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I think you will find that different blades may behave differently in different razors so every time you add a new razor to the collection you will need to try all the blades in it again. Before you say I'm very satisfied with the R41, we've all said that after a new razor arrives and it's often not long before you are looking longingly at those shave of the day pics and saying "If only". Really just find a good blade and use it in one razor and concentrate on your technique, once you've got that down you can fall down all the rabbit holes you want. Wait until you have more razors than you have blades now, or 200 soaps and no possibility of ever using them all.
I have chased the razor blade rabbit down the hole and once I got to about 60 I realised most of them aren't very good and now I am trying to use them up to concentrate on the best ones, I though I don't get 70 shaves per blade like @psfred I still get enough that the individual tucks I have will last years let alone the 100s.

Oh sunshine, that is just a start! You will be just fine. 🤪

I have over 8000 blades… that’s just about “problem” level IMO!
Oh my god, why?!? Surely you'll never come close to using anything like that?! I'm not going to buy any hundred packs until I land on a blade I like, I've only ended up with multiple tucks because the shop I bought from threw a bunch in for free.

Dare I ask then, how many razors? Shaving creams?

I think you will find that different blades may behave differently in different razors so every time you add a new razor to the collection you will need to try all the blades in it again. Before you say I'm very satisfied with the R41, we've all said that after a new razor arrives and it's often not long before you are looking longingly at those shave of the day pics and saying "If only". Really just find a good blade and use it in one razor and concentrate on your technique, once you've got that down you can fall down all the rabbit holes you want. Wait until you have more razors than you have blades now, or 200 soaps and no possibility of ever using them all.
I have chased the razor blade rabbit down the hole and once I got to about 60 I realised most of them aren't very good and now I am trying to use them up to concentrate on the best ones, I though I don't get 70 shaves per blade like @psfred I still get enough that the individual tucks I have will last years let alone the 100s.
Thanks - it's definitely the plan to practice - I only switched it up as it was either that or quit. I'm keen to try the combo again but I figured I should give my face a break today, so tomorrow I can tackle it afresh with 48hrs of growth. I'm already wondering if I'll ever get around to trying all of the blades I have!

Oh my god, why?!? Surely you'll never come close to using anything like that?! I'm not going to buy any hundred packs until I land on a blade I like, I've only ended up with multiple tucks because the shop I bought from threw a bunch in for free.

Dare I ask then, how many razors? Shaving creams?
Not as many razors and soaps, but still enough to last me years.

I have been buying blades for years. Always when on sale. I haven’t bought many in the last couple of years, but I do use a couple hundred a year at least, so I am set for life.

View attachment 1790811
Hold my beer... lol you've just begun. Each tuck is a different brand.

Attachments

• 20240130_200319.jpg
    20240130_200319.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
That is a nice lots of blades. Have fun using them. I would recommend trying the Bics, Nacets and & O'Clock Blacks. RayClem has very sensitive skin and a tough old man beard. His blade evaluations are quite useful in clarifying your own thinking on blades. Not everyone needs the sharpest blades. His database is here:

That is a nice lots of blades. Have fun using them. I would recommend trying the Bics, Nacets and & O'Clock Blacks. RayClem has very sensitive skin and a tough old man beard. His blade evaluations are quite useful in clarifying your own thinking on blades. Not everyone needs the sharpest blades. His database is here:

Awesome, thank you! I was wondering why no one had a spreadsheet of blades! I have been trying out a couple of the blades - but haven't gotten too far as I am cognisant I need to focus on technique and keep some consistency. Today was my best so far 9 or 10 on closeness and comfort using a fresh Muhle blades...

Isn't this a fun place? Enjoy your journey!
Haha, thanks! It's been good so far. I like that it's taken something that was tedious and allowed me to be in the moment and sort of enjoy it (when it goes well). I'm not sure I'll ever get rid of the Mach3s or electric (in case I need to shave quickly) but using a food analogy, they'll be the McDonalds to the fine dining.

Top Bottom