What's new

Another newbie post - I broke a rule...oh wow!

Welcome to B&B! You definitely have a rookie sampler there :lol1:
It takes awhile to find the right blade/razor combo.

I started my wetshaving adventure with a very mild razor in 2012. Got very mediocre shaves even with feathers. Now I shave with some of the most "aggressive" razors and get very consistent BBS shaves.

You may want to check out shaving tutorials on YouTube. Geofatboy makes great videos there for guidance.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm 70 and don't think I have enough years left in this old body to try every razor I have with all 100+ DE blades on the market at the moment. I cheated and copied the blades a few people here just love. It kept the number of brands/blades to a minimum, but I have hmmmmm lots of tucks of each. I'm nowhere near 8K, I don't think... I'm going to look it up in the "My Shave Den" app. Let's say 3800 if I round down a few... I'm a one and done shaver with DE blades... but I don't have every day... 3 times a week would be the max.. 156 blades a year if I only use my DE razors, so this estimate will be inaccurate.. but I have enough DE blades to shave for 24 years.... About half my shaves are with AC razors.... just a guess... so let me put it this way..... I'll most definitely outlive my AC and DE blade stash. Thankfully, I don't have large quantities of blades I don't like....

Indeed the more aggressive razor gave you a better shave. There are in general a wider range of angles that you can shave at with a more aggressive razor than a milder one. That does not necessarily mean that you cannot get a close shave with your first DE razor, but that it may take more skill and practice to use it well. Furthermore, a milder razor does put a higher demand on the lather as well and it's consistency.

Your R41 will serve you well if you can learn how to not cut yourself with it. It takes a light hand and just concentrate and you will get there. You may not want to stick a Feather or a BIC in that razor yet, but you have many great blades in your sample pack of blades. No need to get anything else yet. The Gillette Silver Blue, Derby Premium, Nacet, Gillette Green, Yellow, Black 7 O'clock, Gillette Platinum will do great in there. Like you did with the 34C just use the R41 for a while and get a great weeper free shave.

Where the R41 may cause you a bit of trouble might be in how often you shave. If you are a daily shaver the R41 may prove to be a bit much for you, but you will find that out. If you have accumulating irritation it may just be that it is too much. Most of all though is have fun! Shaving is relaxing and it is not a super expensive hobby if that is what it would turn into for you. BTW a tip regarding the LOTH. Out of sight out of mind is a good principle here. Not too much shaving stuff out on the vanity at one time and you will be fine.

In the first few years anticipate hot streaks and slumps. The slumps often want to make you go back to cartridge. Once you really get the hang of things, blades last twice as long, and you can make do with practically any razor or cream….BUT you’ll still have distinct preferences of course.

Welcome to B&B! You definitely have a rookie sampler there :lol1:
It takes awhile to find the right blade/razor combo.

I started my wetshaving adventure with a very mild razor in 2012. Got very mediocre shaves even with feathers. Now I shave with some of the most "aggressive" razors and get very consistent BBS shaves.

You may want to check out shaving tutorials on YouTube. Geofatboy makes great videos there for guidance.
Thanks - I did see one of his videos, I think he's the one that sort of had me googling what this was all about.

Indeed the more aggressive razor gave you a better shave. There are in general a wider range of angles that you can shave at with a more aggressive razor than a milder one. That does not necessarily mean that you cannot get a close shave with your first DE razor, but that it may take more skill and practice to use it well. Furthermore, a milder razor does put a higher demand on the lather as well and it's consistency.

Your R41 will serve you well if you can learn how to not cut yourself with it. It takes a light hand and just concentrate and you will get there. You may not want to stick a Feather or a BIC in that razor yet, but you have many great blades in your sample pack of blades. No need to get anything else yet. The Gillette Silver Blue, Derby Premium, Nacet, Gillette Green, Yellow, Black 7 O'clock, Gillette Platinum will do great in there. Like you did with the 34C just use the R41 for a while and get a great weeper free shave.

Where the R41 may cause you a bit of trouble might be in how often you shave. If you are a daily shaver the R41 may prove to be a bit much for you, but you will find that out. If you have accumulating irritation it may just be that it is too much. Most of all though is have fun! Shaving is relaxing and it is not a super expensive hobby if that is what it would turn into for you. BTW a tip regarding the LOTH. Out of sight out of mind is a good principle here. Not too much shaving stuff out on the vanity at one time and you will be fine.
Well, I tried a Feather in the R41, but I definitely didn't enjoy it. Maybe didn't have enough growth, but it wasn't the same as a Feather in the 34C. I tried the Derby Premium, but didn't like it as much as the Muhle. I will get to the others, I'm just taking my time. I might try the Gillette black next....

Well, I tried a Feather in the R41, but I definitely didn't enjoy it. Maybe didn't have enough growth, but it wasn't the same as a Feather in the 34C. I tried the Derby Premium, but didn't like it as much as the Muhle. I will get to the others, I'm just taking my time. I might try the Gillette black next....
I don't have the R41 but I do use very frequently the Ikon Shavecraft Tech. It's very similar to the R41 in terms of efficiency and aggression.

Found my sweet spot in blades to be either a Kai SS or Polsilver. Feathers were a little too harsh and only lasted 3 shaves before getting tuggy.

I was commenting to my sister-in-law today that Christmas included the cheapest hobby ever. A vikings blade emperor, and a sample pack of 16 different blades. I already have a couple soaps I like, and a Muhle Silvertip Fibre.
So, a $30 razor and $15 in blades has kept me amused for 3 months so far. I'm down to the elite eight. It should start going a little faster now.

That's a nice selection of blades there.

I was scared, at first, to try the R41 from all the horror stories I'd read online. But I get really close shaves and usually less skin irritation (unless I goof an cut myself). I think it's because I have to have such a light touch and I seem to get just as close (closer?) in 2 passes with the R41 as I get with 3 passes plus buffing using a less efficient razor.

Enjoy the journey!

Last edited:
That's a nice selection of blades there.

I was scared, at first, to try the R41 from all the horror stories I'd read online. But I get really close shaves and usually less skin irritation (unless I goof an cut myself). I think it's because I have to have such a light touch and I seem to get just as close (closer?) in 2 passes with the R41 as I get with 3 passes plus buffing using a less efficient razor.

Enjoy the journey!
Like you I've been getting and enjoying much closer shaves. I've moved onto the Bic and have had, if not perfect shaves, definitely very close and without the irritation I was getting at times with the Muhle blade...Which blades have you been using?

Like you I've been getting and enjoying much closer shaves. I've moved onto the Bic and have had, if not perfect shaves, definitely very close and without the irritation I was getting at times with the Muhle blade...Which blades have you been using?
Of the blades in your photo, I've used Feather, Bic, Treet Platinum, Gillette 7 o'clock black, Gillette Wilkinson Sword (10+1 Free package), Gillette Platinum, Nacet, Voskhod Teflon, Derby Extra, Astra SP

The Feather's are the sharpest but not really my favorite
Bic are wonderful when you get a good batch. Extremely sharp and last for many shaves.
Nacet are very sharp, excellent blades
7 O'Clock black are fantastic and stay sharp for many, many shaves. 3x the price though
Gillette Platinum just always work great in any razor. a favorite "no surprises" blade, always good
Treet Platinum Sharp and smooth, very inexpensive
Gillette Wilkinson Sword I like them for the price. Very nice first and second shave but they don't last long

I don't like Voskhod, Derby Extra or Astra All three get really good reviews and are well loved.

I have, but haven't shaved with yet, Treet Carbon and Rapira that are in your group of blades.

We all have a different path to same end. When I first started in DE not that long ago, I read posts from people that were very firm in the idea that you should pick one razor, one blade, one soap etc. and keep it all the same until you learn it. There's a certain amount of validity to this, but not always. The RK blades that came with my Henson immediately spring to mind.

Some of us learn in a very linear fashion, while others tend to wander, if you will. I've since circled back to mild razors and have been using them over my more aggressive ones simply because I have them dialed in for close, comfortable shaves.

I'm still not at the point where I can have a mindless close shave like I did with the Mach3 or Fusion, but I'm getting there. I'm also enjoying shaving rather than viewing it as a chore.

We all have a different path to same end. When I first started in DE not that long ago, I read posts from people that were very firm in the idea that you should pick one razor, one blade, one soap etc. and keep it all the same until you learn it. There's a certain amount of validity to this, but not always. The RK blades that came with my Henson immediately spring to mind.

Some of us learn in a very linear fashion, while others tend to wander, if you will. I've since circled back to mild razors and have been using them over my more aggressive ones simply because I have them dialed in for close, comfortable shaves.

I'm still not at the point where I can have a mindless close shave like I did with the Mach3 or Fusion, but I'm getting there. I'm also enjoying shaving rather than viewing it as a chore.
I've hit blades that I don't think you can correct with technique. They seemed to have mico burrs that required immediate moisturizer right after the shave.

On the other hand, it's likely that you can find a blade that works with your technique.

Of the blades in your photo, I've used Feather, Bic, Treet Platinum, Gillette 7 o'clock black, Gillette Wilkinson Sword (10+1 Free package), Gillette Platinum, Nacet, Voskhod Teflon, Derby Extra, Astra SP

The Feather's are the sharpest but not really my favorite
Bic are wonderful when you get a good batch. Extremely sharp and last for many shaves.
Nacet are very sharp, excellent blades
7 O'Clock black are fantastic and stay sharp for many, many shaves. 3x the price though
Gillette Platinum just always work great in any razor. a favorite "no surprises" blade, always good
Treet Platinum Sharp and smooth, very inexpensive
Gillette Wilkinson Sword I like them for the price. Very nice first and second shave but they don't last long

I don't like Voskhod, Derby Extra or Astra All three get really good reviews and are well loved.

I have, but haven't shaved with yet, Treet Carbon and Rapira that are in your group of blades.
Thanks - any you have and recommend that I don't have?

I didn't enjoy the 7 O'Clock yellow all that much. Admittedly I've only given it one shave, the Derby Extra was okay (I preferred it to the Derby Premium). I was going to try the 7 O'Clock Black but opted for Bic and I've been enjoying them. I'm still in the early stages, so I'm only giving blades two shaves and they hit the bin. Probably a waste, but I figure the shave is already pretty inexpensive regardless of whether I get 2 or 10 shaves...

I wasn't a fan of the Gillette Platinum in my Merkur 34C, but have yet to try it in the R41. I too like the Wilkinson swords, although I think from memory I preferred them in the 34C.

Thanks - any you have and recommend that I don't have?
1711985755713.png

At the moment you can still find these Russian blades online - around $10 for 100. These are excellent blades that are, IMO, similar (slightly less but in the ballpark) in sharpness to the Bic and Nacet.

You mentioned tossing after 2 shaves --- for Feather and some other blades (like the India Wilkinson and the Treet Platinum) 2 shaves is about all they will give you -- but some other blades are just starting to get good by the 2nd shave and will easily give 5 or more really excellent shaves. In particular the Bic and the 7 o'clock black are known for getting better after the first shave and then continuing to stay very sharp for many shaves. I would not toss either of those out after 2 shaves unless you don't care for them and/or feel them tugging at your whiskers.

View attachment 1821849
At the moment you can still find these Russian blades online - around $10 for 100. These are excellent blades that are, IMO, similar (slightly less but in the ballpark) in sharpness to the Bic and Nacet.

You mentioned tossing after 2 shaves --- for Feather and some other blades (like the India Wilkinson and the Treet Platinum) 2 shaves is about all they will give you -- but some other blades are just starting to get good by the 2nd shave and will easily give 5 or more really excellent shaves. In particular the Bic and the 7 o'clock black are known for getting better after the first shave and then continuing to stay very sharp for many shaves. I would not toss either of those out after 2 shaves unless you don't care for them and/or feel them tugging at your whiskers.
Thanks - I went 3 on the Bic and it didn't feel as comfortable, but to be honest my biggest variable is time between shaves. I haven't found a combo that allows for a comfortable daily shave. I'll try keeping my next Bic a little longer and see how we go.

I should give the above Perma-Sharps a run and see if it's worth stocking up. I think the missus is getting a little concerned about this new hobby...

Welcome to B&B
:a14:

I can only agree with @Sam Hanwich. I have tried a few samplers with "quality blades" in the last few months. Among them I remember: Feather, BIC, King C. Gillette, Perma-Sharp, ASTRA, Vokshod, Shark, Treet, Gillette Silver Blue, ... All the blades were not bad and did a good job. In the end, I stocked up on Perma-Sharp because these blades feel very sharp but are also very kind to my skin. Incidentally, the Perma-Sharp blades are also very cheap in the EU at the moment and, according to the rumors here in the forum, may not be available forever. However, I have also noticed one thing in the last few months: The compatibility of the blades is very individual for everyone. I wish you lots of fun on your journey!

Top Bottom