What's new

What's your favorite Spy movie?

I thought Bridge of Spies was a great movie and seeing as it was based on a true story is a plus for me. The next day I looked up the real story behind the movie. The Russian spy Rudolf Abel had lived in my part of England before the Russian revolution and had worked at the company I served my apprenticeship, Swan Hunter Shipbuilders, in the 80s. Ok we were 70 years apart but you never know who is around you, especially now.

Another few classics that don't get much mention are 13 Rue Madeleine (1947), 5 Fingers (1952), and Our Man In Havana (1959)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Red Sparrow

I learned the right way to tie a scarf from watching this movie.
Until then, I tied it the incorrect, New England, pseudointellectual way.
(Gru, on the left)
After watching Red Sparrow, I tie them the correct European way.
(His brother on the right)

How to tie a scarf is a topic that comes up from time to time.
I bought some cheap counterfeit cashmere scarves (acrylic)
and converted some friends. You have to experience it
to appreciate the difference.
I guessed Russians might know more about this kind of cold weather thing.
If you haven't read the Red Sparrow books.... they are great. I didn't learn how to tie a scarf from them, but I sure loved reading the trilogy.

If you haven't read the Red Sparrow books.... they are great. I didn't learn how to tie a scarf from them, but I sure loved reading the trilogy.

I read a couple of them.
I never tried any of the recipes though I thought they looked good.

I didn't like the writing style.
It was what I would call
twentieth century high school English composition style.

"The Bourne Identity" was fantastic. After seeing it I told my wife, "That was the best James Bond movie I've ever seen." And you can see the influence on the Daniel Craig films.

Another great one is "No Way Out" with Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, and Sean Young.

Ronin
The Mission Impossible franchise.
The Eye of the Needle (Donald Sutherland)
North by Northwest
The Falcon and the Snowman
The Sean Connery Bond films.
Marathon Man (Dustin Hoffman)

I always viewed the Bourne series as more about black ops assassins and dirty government than I did as the spy genre.
That dentist torture scene in Marathon Man still makes me cringe to this day. I think about it when I go to the dentist.

Not a movie, but there‘s a French spy show called The Bureau that was absolutely brilliant.
Highly recommended.

(Technically the full name of the show is: Le Bureau des Légendes but everyone just calls it The Bureau)

SpyvSpy.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
My pick..."The Spy Who Came In from the Cold". :thumbsup:

"It depicts Alec Leamas, a British agent, being sent to East Germany as a faux defector to sow disinformation about a powerful East German intelligence officer. It serves as a sequel to le Carré's previous novels Call for the Dead and A Murder of Quality, which also featured the fictitious British intelligence organization, "The Circus", and its agents George Smiley and Peter Guillam".

proxy.php

1701298008974-jpeg.1756179
Richard Burton received the David di Donatello Award for Best Foreign Actor, the Golden Laurel Award, and an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role. The film was named one of the top ten films of 1966 by the National Board of Review in the United States.
proxy.php

Works Cited: "The Spy_Who_Came_In_from_the_Cold"

1709951370824.jpeg
"Sorry, I'm an operational man. I'll take my pension. I don't want a desk job". Alec Leamas

Last edited:
Wow - some more great ones:

Charade, The 39 Steps and North by Northwest are all GREAT movies!

Also - Marathon Man - wonderful. I had a copy of that book with a forward by the author - where he mentions that he frequently gets asked but dentists if he has written anything they might recognize after learning he is an author. He mentions Marathon Man and says the dentists usually go still and quiet for several seconds.

The Slough House series on Apple and the books by Mick Herron are great.
There are multiple movies and series based on LeCarre books and several are named above but a couple more:
The Night Manager I think on AMC with Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston
The Russia House with Sean Connery (very unBondlike) and Michelle Pfeiffer

Top Bottom