What's new

How can you equalize TV sound?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Turn the sound up so you can hear conversations. Then put one earplug in your left ear.
Whenever there is conversation, turn your head slightly so the right ear is dominant, and when there are action scenes, turn your head slightly so the left ear is dominant.
Ok, here's the weird thing - this is a better solution than what is actually provided to consumers by television manufacturers and TV programming suppliers.

Turn the sound up so you can hear conversations. Then put one earplug in your left ear.
Whenever there is conversation, turn your head slightly so the right ear is dominant, and when there are action scenes, turn your head slightly so the left ear is dominant.
Ok, here's the weird thing - this is a better solution than what is actually provided to consumers by television manufacturers and TV programming suppliers.
That probably works really well. Although my left ear is my language processor, so I'd have to plug the right.

I've found a sound bar can help...but it's still not always perfect. I saw that you mentioned Apple TV. My wife actually uses her airpods for the sound when she's watching after kids are in bed. Still seems like an odd solution. My oldest daughter frequently prefers to have subtitles on. The drawback to super thin screens is there's not much room for decent speakers.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Mrs. Raven is always quick on the volume control, it’s either too loud for her (action) or quiet ( soft talkers). Sometimes it feels like I’m only catching 85% of the dialogue, but I’ve stopped caring. I’ve had to rewind a few times on the latest True Detective, I need all the audio input I can get on that one, because I don’t know what’s happening.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ohhh a good example was Slow Horses on Apple TV. A spy drama/comedy. So lots of secret quiet conversation. Then the next scene is a shoot out and yelling. So here I am “what the hell are they saying??” *volume up up up up*. Then it’s BANG BANG BOOM GET TO THE CHOPPPAAAA and I’m like *volume down down down*
Is there a "compressed audio" selection in your settings?

If so, it will reduce the dynamic range of the audio. Bring the soft passages slightly up in volume and bring the loud passages slightly down in volume.

On my TV, it's called "Audio Volume".

You may want to consider a different soundbar. A relative got a Samsung HW-Q6CC for Christmas and I helped them set it up. IMO the best feature is a mode they called "Voice enhance" described as: "This mode is makes it easier to hear spoken dialog in movies and TV." It really did help and did not otherwise interfere with watching the news or something on Netflix. After turning on Voice enhance and dialing back the volume a couple of clicks on the subwoofer it was a great improvement over stock TV speakers as one would expect. I am considering getting something like it myself.

I've some long-term hearing loss and tinnitus from too much outbound back in '72 when I was on the Gun Line, and hearing aids can only do so much. My main peeve is commercials without captioning or any text on the screen so that I can only assume that I'm not part of their target audience. And right now, whoever's doing the captioning for my TV service is getting very lazy: not only do they only caption the first half or so of each sentence, they don't caption the responses on Jeopardy! so I often have no idea what the contestants are saying.

Watching tv has long been an activity. You can’t just sit there. I have the remote at hand to turn down the volume during commercials or, preferably, fast forward through them if possible.

I don't remember when watching tv as a kid or even 20 years ago this being a thing, with extreme volume changes within the same program, or the volume changes between the tv program and the commercials, or even the different volume changes between different commercials on the same channel, or different volume changes when you change channels. It seemed everything was normalized volume. Also seems like when Dolby and surround sound became in vogue that's when this became a feature to make you feel like you were there in the movie instead of just watching it. My best memories of TV we're watching shows on a black and white 13" tv as a kid before cable existed.

Top Bottom