What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Poor Things. One unusual movie. I am not sure I liked it. I am not sure it was intended to be something the viewer likes. I did think Emma Stone and William Defoe did nice jobs.

SPARROWS (1926). Mary Pickford's next to last silent "kid" role (at 34 years old). I'm not a big Mary Pickford fan to begin with, but decided to revisit my 1999 Image/Milestone DVD of Sparrows to see if it was worth upgrading to the 2021 Blu-ray. The BD is currently available to watch on youtube, so I was able to compare. While the BD has a better quality picture, and is tinted with a better score, I decided not to upgrade. It's really a downer of a movie about baby farms 100 years ago. It brought back bad memories of my 5 years doing child welfare 50 years ago, having to pull kids out of homes in middle of night and placing them in foster homes that, too often, weren't much better.

At the beginning of the BD film, there's a blurb about baby farms, and the kids, all 10 or younger, being placed on salary prior to filming to toughen their feet because they were shoeless the whole movie. That must have been fun.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
America: The Movie
Entertaining animated film with George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison, Geronimo, Paul Revere and Samuel Adams (the Beer maker) teaming up to defeat the evil forces of King George and Benedict Arnold the Werewolf.
Yeah - it's not historical ok? It's entertainment!

The Return of the Pink Panther (1975) starring Guy Gadbois.

1710979727972.png

Thanks for commenting back. Nice to have a bit of a discussion of the film on B&B, at least for me. My dislikes were these. Leonard Bernstein was something of a giant of a cultural figure when I was growing up and I take it from what I have read recently that he was an even greater talent and more important figure in a number of musical genres, might be the right word, than I knew. Yet the movie focused, almost exclusively on the relationships he had with his long suffering wife and various male and I guess some female lovers, often his students, which would rightfully get him fired as a predator these days. I have no idea whether the film gave an accurate portrayal of how he and his wife got along. I suppose the acting was good, and maybe it set up a believeable, at least, scenario, thus with something to say about the human condition. But it is a movie about Leonard Bernstein, for crying out loud. I care way more about what putting together West Side Story was like than whether marrying an announced bisexual man was hard on his wife. He was a musical genius, not a relationship genius. Why do I even care about his married life? West Side Story aside, as I recall he discovered Janis Ian and got a number 1 hit song from her highly controversial at the time "Society's Child." Wouldn't that have been an interesting story about something I think was significant to American race relations. He was also active politically in highly publicized and controversial ways. As I recall he famously had cocktail parties attended by NYC's cultural, intellectual, and societal elites, and the Black Panthers. wouldn't some elaboration on that have potentially illuminated what the man really was? Did this come out of sincere political beliefs ir was it just a publicity stunt. Who was being used? Leonard and his friends or the Panthers? How did those events fit into the cultural upheval of the 60s? we would never know from this lengthy bio film. All we really know is that his wife was sad because he liked to run around with other people with abandon. how did anyone think she would feel? How are we supposed to feel? that he was such an important figure that he should be able to do anything that he had the impulse to do and it is just kind of sad that that had a bad effect on his wife? Maybe I am coldhearted ir something. I do not really care. I want to know how some of the music came to be and whether the often written about cultural figure at the time was for real or a poser or both.
I apologize for not replying sooner.

You obviously know way more about Leonard Bernstein than I do. Like many I know him for his music and his greater work in the theatre. I had no clue as to his personal life, this is one image of that. I also did not know anything about his family. Nor did I have any sense of his involvement politically and activism.

What we both do realize is that this is a movie about his relationships. With his wife, kids and family in general. With his friends, acquaintances and fellow performers. I think the most important relationship was that with himself. The movie definitely portrayed him as somewhat tortured. What we did get from this film was that he did was a manic depressive. As with many people who do suffer this you could see the frenzy with which they work and play.

Leonard Bernstein was a very complex person as most people are. To your point, what do you highlight in a movie about such a person. I guess that all one can do is chose an aspect that is known and pursue that, in this case his relationships. Another movie that is similar is Ferrari.

It would be very interesting for someone to research a docudrama about the creation of a masterwork. For some of us it would likely resonate, for others not so much.

The movie is what it is in this case. I wonder what was left on the cutting room floor so to speak. We found the acting good. The actress who played the wife hit it out of the park. Bradley Cooper did a fine job himself and the makeup created a dead ringer. We found the movie good and we can say that we watched it. No need to see it again. We did also discuss it for a few days.

You can also see the influence that each of the producers had in the film.

The saving grace for us was that we sat down to watch this with no expectations.

I apologize for not replying sooner.

You obviously know way more about Leonard Bernstein than I do. Like many I know him for his music and his greater work in the theatre. I had no clue as to his personal life, this is one image of that. I also did not know anything about his family. Nor did I have any sense of his involvement politically and activism.

What we both do realize is that this is a movie about his relationships. With his wife, kids and family in general. With his friends, acquaintances and fellow performers. I think the most important relationship was that with himself. The movie definitely portrayed him as somewhat tortured. What we did get from this film was that he did was a manic depressive. As with many people who do suffer this you could see the frenzy with which they work and play.

Leonard Bernstein was a very complex person as most people are. To your point, what do you highlight in a movie about such a person. I guess that all one can do is chose an aspect that is known and pursue that, in this case his relationships. Another movie that is similar is Ferrari.

It would be very interesting for someone to research a docudrama about the creation of a masterwork. For some of us it would likely resonate, for others not so much.

The movie is what it is in this case. I wonder what was left on the cutting room floor so to speak. We found the acting good. The actress who played the wife hit it out of the park. Bradley Cooper did a fine job himself and the makeup created a dead ringer. We found the movie good and we can say that we watched it. No need to see it again. We did also discuss it for a few days.

You can also see the influence that each of the producers had in the film.

The saving grace for us was that we sat down to watch this with no expectations.
Great post. Thanks. I knew something about Bernstein from growing up during a time when he was a cultural force. Other things I read up on.

La Roue (1922). A French silent directed by Abel Gance (J’Accuse 1919 and Napoleon 1927). I re-watched my 4.5 hour Flicker Alley dvd from 2008, which I hadn’t watched since purchasing a 7 hour 2020 French restoration BD. Although twisted and depressing, it’s my favorite silent film. Not all silent fans agree, but it still ranks #201 on a top 300 silent film site, a good resource for silent film fans as it also has links to best home video releases.

Ready Player One. I read the book a couple years ago, and found it ok. I received the movie as a gift, but never really got around to watching it. Upon hearing that Ready Player 2 is in the works, I decided to finally watch this one. Like the book, I'd give it a solid "OK". Definitely a few changes made, but I do feel the adaptation did a good job of capturing the feel of the book. I'm still not sure if I'll get around to reading Ready Player 2 or not.

Top Bottom