What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

"Grudge Match" w/Stallone and De Niro.

Kind of funny, kind of dumb, kind of hackneyed (too many less-than-subtle references to the "Rocky" films). In all worth a watching though.
Alan Arkin is hilarious in this flick.

Echelon Conspiracy- Lower budget version of Eagle Eye. A horrible choice for a lead actor however the supporting cast were the only good thing about this movie. 3.5/10

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I really enjoyed it and thought it was much better than the first one. My daughter thought so too.

The Square: documentary on Egypt's travails after waiting for, and possibly achieving democracy, only to discover that things may be getting worse. The film uses only digital footage from a variety of sources, giving a surprising view of Arab Spring (as it turns to winter).

Saving Mr. Banks - I enjoyed this movie much more than I thought I would. Going in, I didn't have much hope for it thinking the movie had a lot more to do with the making of Mary Poppins, a movie I find to be much too corny and twee for my taste. Instead, it dealt more with P.L. Travers, a very difficult and rather unlikable woman and her background story from the time she was a girl which had a lot of influence on the story of Mary Poppins. I think Tom Hanks is one of the most wonderful actors of our time. His conversation (as Disney) with Travers near the end of the movie which resulted in winning the rights to Mary Poppins and bringing together the elements of the story was probably the highlight for me.

Saving Mr Banks; Pretty good, but a tad overwrought for my tastes. Even the lovely bride was slightly underwhelmed

American Hustle; Like this much more, mostly because of the characters. They were all despicable and entertaining

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - The new version is a combination romance/road movie, but could have used some of the whimsical humor that was promised in James Thurber's story. Ben Stiller isn't a particularly gifted comic presence on film, and his direction doesn't make for a laff-fest. **1/2 of four.

Breezy [1973], love Kay Lenz and William Holden acting
proxy.php

We Are What We Are - the American version. Same director who did the amazing Stake Land. The story and gothic feel of this film reminded me of Lovecraft's short stories about cannibals lurking in New England's collapsing old houses.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Das Boot. I always forget how just good it is. I never forget how long it is, though. Now that I'm reading the book, I'm in the mood to watch it over and over. Maybe one of these days I'll turn the subtitles on and watch it in German.

Finally saw Dredd. While they captured Dredd the character to a tee, the violence and language was too graphic and needless. I recall Judge Dredd saying "Drokk it" to greater effect than all the f bombs on display here.
Could have been better.
Still infinitely better than Stallone's attempt.
7/10 for effort.

Top Bottom