What's new

Possibility of GSB (and other Russian blades) becoming harder to find?

Is there the possibility that Russian made blades like the GSB might become hard to find with all of the embargos and such? I suppose Russia has been doing their shenanigans for a few years now and it hasn’t happened.

Just wondering as I was considering getting a 5 pack of the GSBs to try out. But I wouldn’t want to discover I like them just to have them go away. Or move to another factory and change in quality.

Is there the possibility that Russian made blades like the GSB might become hard to find with all of the embargos and such? I suppose Russia has been doing their shenanigans for a few years now and it hasn’t happened.

Just wondering as I was considering getting a 5 pack of the GSBs to try out. But I wouldn’t want to discover I like them just to have them go away. Or move to another factory and change in quality.
Quick recap - Some of the Gillette Russian blade production has moved to India and China. No one is exactly sure what might be moved, how long it might stay that way, or long-term plans. The situation is fluid.

I haven't seen GSBs specifically discussed, but I may have missed the latest info drops. There are a number of threads discussing this issue but you'll have to dig around a little.

Here is a prophetic thread from almost 7 years ago when someone asked what if all Russian blades disappeared? Some of the alternates mentioned like Israeli reds have also gone away, but I'm going to investigate some of those Lords suggested.

Last edited:
The rule has been for a while that if you find a blade you like to stock up.

Gillette Spoiler
Gillette USA platinums
Personna 74s
Gillette “Swedes”
Gillette 7 O’clock super platinum blue pack
Israeli Personna Reds
Polsilver Super Iridiums
Gillette 7 O’clock yellow changing

what we’re dealing with now

Gillette Spoiler
Gillette USA platinums
Personna 74s
Gillette “Swedes”
Israeli Personna Reds
Polsilver Super Iridiums

+1!! Yes indeed!! And, worst case scenario, is that your heirs will be well stocked!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Glad I stocked up on the PPI made GSBs. Though I’m tempted to buy more

Israeli Personna Reds
I only have ~90 of these left. Kind of wish I had stocked up on them but only found out about them right around the time they were discontinued. I’ve found that the German Personna Reds are just as good at least for me

Same here - I think the German Reds are a little more comfortable.
It’s been awhile since I’ve used the Israeli Reds but I remember them being extremely comfortable too. The first couple Israeli Reds I didn’t like but I think that’s because I was still relatively new to using DE razors at the time. Once I got familiar with them they became extremely comfortable. I’m thinking about doing a side by side comparison of the two reds eventually

Gillette Spoiler
Gillette USA platinums
Personna 74s
Gillette “Swedes”
Israeli Personna Reds
Polsilver Super Iridiums

Strongly agree with stocking up. I can't imagine running out of Nacet next year.

Calculate the life expectancy age in your country (A) and how many blades you use a year (B).

Then subtract the life expectancy age less your current age (C) and multiply with (B).

(A - C) x B = how many razors you need to stock up.

In true B&B fashion, then find another blade that you like better months from now.

Apply the same formula again and stock up on the new favourite blade. Repeat as necessary with every new blade that catches your fancy.

You should now have enough blades for a few lifetimes or generations to leave behind. PIF or give extra blades to friends and family to convert them to wet shavers.

You will be happier and now have more reasons to live longer than the original expectancy age in your country. YMMW.

It’s been awhile since I’ve used the Israeli Reds but I remember them being extremely comfortable too. The first couple Israeli Reds I didn’t like but I think that’s because I was still relatively new to using DE razors at the time. Once I got familiar with them they became extremely comfortable. I’m thinking about doing a side by side comparison of the two reds eventually
Yeah, that would be a fun comparison.
I'm in the middle of a 32 shave side by side with KCG China vs Russia --- it's been a fun way to start the 2024 GRUYERE.

Top Bottom