What's new

Which Gillette Blades will continue to be made by PPI(Russia)?

As in title. I searched the forums but did not find an answer to my specific question. I know Gillette has moved manufacturing of brands marketed to the West to India and China.

However, it is possible to buy Gillette Nacets from Jordan (the country, lol) that are made in St. Petersburg. I'm assuming this is a gray market avenue that will continue because Nacets are not meant to be sold in countries that have an embargo against Russian goods, correct? Or is Gillette divesting itself entirely of Russian manufacturing?

Any other similar cases to the Nacets? I noticed my purchases of Astra blades from Amazon have all been Indian-sourced. Perhaps the Minoras?

Just idle curiosity. I have no particular positive attachment or negative feelings towards Russian goods, although I respect everyone's personal opinions around them.

Remember NOS exists. There may be millions of PPI made blades floating around the supply chain now ( and for a few more years ) so the ability to purchase PPI made blades in the market is not evidence that production of those blades is currently a thing.

I've read posts from @ivan_101 that currently Rubies and Sputniks are both still being made at the PPI plant, but not being sold outside of Russia.

As in title. I searched the forums but did not find an answer to my specific question. I know Gillette has moved manufacturing of brands marketed to the West to India and China.

However, it is possible to buy Gillette Nacets from Jordan (the country, lol) that are made in St. Petersburg. I'm assuming this is a gray market avenue that will continue because Nacets are not meant to be sold in countries that have an embargo against Russian goods, correct? Or is Gillette divesting itself entirely of Russian manufacturing?

Any other similar cases to the Nacets? I noticed my purchases of Astra blades from Amazon have all been Indian-sourced. Perhaps the Minoras?

Just idle curiosity. I have no particular positive attachment or negative feelings towards Russian goods, although I respect everyone's personal opinions around them.
In Jordan it is not a grey market. The Nacet is a blade that is marketed officially there. Nacet has never been a blade for the US or Europe in the last decades. They just have enough PPI stock for now in Jordan. We should wait and see.
Your questions are impossible to answer at least for a year. Gillette might even decide to drop some models, as they have done it many times.
Remember NOS exists. There may be millions of PPI made blades floating around the supply chain now ( and for a few more years ) so the ability to purchase PPI made blades in the market is not evidence that production of those blades is currently a thing.

I've read posts from @ivan_101 that currently Rubies and Sputniks are both still being made at the PPI plant, but not being sold outside of Russia.
Same with Rubie and Sputnik. They were never meant to be sold in Western Europe or North America. Only in Russia, Belarus and Ukraine as far as I can remember. I seriously doubt those two brands will be available in European and North American stores in the near future.

You can expect all sorts of changes. Like, say, they decide to stop manufacturing both 7 o'clock models (they are only for the Middle East, anyway) and substitute them with Gillette Platinum in those markets. (This is just a hypothesis off the top of my head. Not a reality)

I'm not an expert but from what I understand, PPI was a partnership with Gillette. So if Gillette left, I assume PPI still has the equipment but maybe not the same finances. I guess they could continue producing the same blades under a different name.

I'm not an expert but from what I understand, PPI was a partnership with Gillette. So if Gillette left, I assume PPI still has the equipment but maybe not the same finances. I guess they could continue producing the same blades under a different name.
Is a partnership. 80% owned by P&G. The rest by Russia.
They didn't leave Russia. P&G even has household detergent factory (a huge one) there.

If you like particular PPI blades (as I do), best to lay in a stock while they are still available IMO. :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Where do you get Nacet FROM Jordan? Any reliable seller?
mem8shop is who I bought from on eBay. They shipped promptly. It just took time for the package to get the USA and then be delivered by the domestic postal service as they probably used the cheapest option.

Yeah, I've grabbed a few hundred of the ones I like lately.

Likewise. I only had a couple of tucks of Permasharps and Nacets left. Normally I wouldn't worry, but at the moment you just can't tell when they might disappear from your usual suppliers. I decided to make PPI blades my GRUYERE exception and have 300 incoming. I should be good for several years before I have to look for substitutes.

Just ordered the Treet sample pack off of Amazon to see if I can find a blade that beats my Russian blade stock! 🙏

Reading people's favorites on here is always interesting. I'm guessing that many have very heavy hair growth given the preference for the Gillettes and Feathers and other "very sharp" blades. Me, I wouldn't even have looked into the Nacets except I acquired an old Gillette Tech and I didn't find my usual blades efficient enough in it.

I have found the mild ones like Treet Platinum or Big Ben Stainless Steel actually work great for me. Just not in that Tech....

Just stocked up on some Gillette Platinums and Permasharps! Better safe than sorry!
Are the Permasharps sharper than the Platinums? I noticed the Refined Shave site said Nacets are sharper than Platinums, which I guess isn't surprising with the platinum coating.

For me in terms of sharpness it would be.
Nacet.
Permasharp.

That definitely agrees with refinedshave, although I have wondered if Nacets are another blade that changed around 2017 and perhaps aren't as sharp as they used to be.

I am not sure if I am the only one who has that impression, and I never had older and current ones side by side to compare so I could be fooling myself. They are still very much up there, but don't feel quite the same. Not sure if @ivan_101 has a view on this.

Edit: I found this thread. Looks like it is just a change to the blade wraps - any other differences are my imagination!

Top Bottom