What's new

Which Gillette Blades will continue to be made by PPI(Russia)?

My favorite Russian blades in descending order
IMG_2498.jpeg

I think it's the demographic. A lot of the regulars here are "mature gentlemen" who will have heavier growth than folks in their 20s or 30s, and I will wager there's a lot of wiry, gray old-man-whiskers about too!
Yes you are correct. I do personally like the Gillette silver blue. I have not had the need to buy any blades for the past 8 years because I stopped shaving. Now I’m back shaving and I have at least a three year supply of those blades and I have a good amount of 7’oclock green and black that I brought home from overseas nine years ago. I hope that where ever they are made the quality is the same.

I stocked up on these in 2011 before they were unavailable, which I would advise to do if you have an absolute favorite now.

Wasn’t the move because of the sanctions against Russia? And they can’t export to certain countries so P&G moved the production to India for that and to save on labor costs?

My question (a better question in my opinion) would be if they continue to produce Gillette blades under the same consistent quality standards.
What they call their blades or what they stamp on the tucks is less relevant to me.
Before this move I considered all PPI blades of great value. For me they all performed consistently well. I don't remember ever getting a dud or a bad shave. They were reliable blades for sure.

Wasn’t the move because of the sanctions against Russia? And they can’t export to certain countries so P&G moved the production to India for that and to save on labor costs?
Undoubtedly the answer to your first question is true.

I imagine the PPI plant actually had other local principal ownership though P&G might have had a small stake in it. Sanctions would have made it difficult for P&G to even pay the employees of the factory, even if indirectly through a local agent that operated the plant.

When I first started this topic I had the supposition that P&G would be able to continue to use the Russian factory, but I have my doubts now. Various members have pointed out that the PPI factory could still produce razor blades just under a different brand, but I think that would be difficult launching a new brand and being successful right away to where there is no disruption at all to prior operating conditions.

There seems to be ample old supplies still of Russian-made Gillette blades, so I would stock up if this is a sticking point. For me it's not.

PPI still makes blades. As of 06 / 2023 they are still making Sputnik and Rubie which are for Russia. Some brands that are for Western European countries are now moved to China and India. But not all. Those which are for Asian and African countries might not move at all. Nacet, Perma-Sharp, Iridium -Super, the 7 o'clocks, Minora.

If this is correct then my Permasharp hoarding has been unnecessary.

On the other hand, prices on some blades like Platinums and GSBs do seem to be creeping up on RBC, perhaps reflecting supply shortages.

I still don't think it hurts to lay down some stocks whilst availability is good. Apart from anything else, even if some blades are still in production, who knows what might happen regarding Russia over the coming 18 months - the whole geopolitical and conflict situation around Eastern Europe and the Middle East is in a parlous state.

If this is correct then my Permasharp hoarding has been unnecessary.

On the other hand, prices on some blades like Platinums and GSBs do seem to be creeping up on RBC, perhaps reflecting supply shortages.

I still don't think it hurts to lay down some stocks whilst availability is good. Apart from anything else, even if some blades are still in production, who knows what might happen regarding Russia over the coming 18 months - the whole geopolitical and conflict situation around Eastern Europe and the Middle East is in a parlous state.
GSB and the Dark blue Platinums are currently phantom blades. They are not intended for any particular country at this moment.

GSB was a blade started in the late 90s early 2000s for the UK. This quickly changed.
Dark blue Platinum was only for former Eastern Bloc countries. Started in early 90s. That changed in the late 2010s as P&Gstopped them for Easter Europe and started marketing them in some Middle Eastern countires. But even that is over now.

Top Bottom