What's new

Same blade? Definitely.

Hello fine folks of the wetshaving world,

today i have great news regarding the king c gillette blade. Since it hit the market a few years ago, i used this blade hot and heavy, and went trough heaps of packs of it. I really love the king c gillette blade, because it has the perfect amount of sharpness for me and is very smooth with the platinum coating that it features, so it became my go to blade for a very long time.

Sadly Gillette moved the production of this blade from russia to china, and after my first shave with it, i threw it into the trash, no resemblance whatsoever.

Back then I already heard about the new light blue gillette platinum and that the king c gillette is just a rebranded version of this very blade. So a few days ago i ordered a pack of five and after my first shave and even after the first stroke with it: this is the king c gillette blade! The moment i unpacked and flexed it, i was already pretty certain about it. As i have stated above, i used countless king c gillette blades and never got the same experience out of any other ppi blade, including dark blue platinums, silver blue and nacet. They are all great, but distinctively different from each other.

I also don’t care what people might think they have found out under a microscope regarding this topic, because even if you have two identical blades, they will look different because they are not perfectly manufactured.

Im very happy that i found this blade again and hope that they don’t move the production of this one over to china too, because at the website i bought them from, i was given the option to select made in russia and china. If anyone knows something about that, please let me know.

Cheers, Marston.

Try to find a different manufacturer that isn't Gillette. There are some other great DE manufacturers around the world.

IMO if you want a similar blade I find any of the Lord Platinum (Asco, Shark, Racer etc.) close, maybe a touch less smooth.
Another one is Dorco Prime Platinum, highly underrated.

If you are adamant on Gillette PPI blades I would add the Perma-sharp and Astra SS. Both have a nice balance of smoothness and sharpness.

If you are adamant on Gillette PPI blades I would add the Perma-sharp and Astra SS. Both have a nice balance of smoothness and sharpness.

Thanks for the answer! Aren’t these two blades affected by the same china problem as well? As far as i know perma sharp are ppi made blades for the turkish market. Regarding the Astra, i heard that the indian version is pretty identical to the russian version, so maybe the indian blades will become the new go to for ppi lovers then, who knows, time will tell.

Try to find a different manufacturer that isn't Gillette. There are some other great DE manufacturers around the world.

IMO if you want a similar blade I find any of the Lord Platinum (Asco, Shark, Racer etc.) close, maybe a touch less smooth.
Another one is Dorco Prime Platinum, highly underrated.

Follow the Lord !

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Med Prep/Labs are both pretty smooth and pretty sharp, with good longevity. Last I knew both were made in the US.

Thanks for the answer! Aren’t these two blades affected by the same china problem as well? As far as i know perma sharp are ppi made blades for the turkish market. Regarding the Astra, i heard that the indian version is pretty identical to the russian version, so maybe the indian blades will become the new go to for ppi lovers then, who knows, time will tell.
Yeah they might be made in India or China now and if you can get a hold of some Russian ones they are nice.

...I also don’t care what people might think they have found out under a microscope regarding this topic, because even if you have two identical blades, they will look different because they are not perfectly manufactured...
I admit, English is my second language.

proxy.php

Excuse my ignorance, but what does this stand for? Please and thank you 😊.
Petersburg Products International. It's a manufacturing company in Russia - when people refer to PPI blades they generally mean various blades produced at the factory in St. Petersburg like Astra, Nacet, Silver Blue, Platinum, Perma-Sharp, etc.

Recently production of some of those blades for Proctor & Gamble (the owner of the Gillette label) have been moved to India and China, and many diehards are hoarding the Russian blades while they can still be found. Reviews of the new Astra and Gillette Platinum blades have been favorable however, and most people probably would not notice at all the old vs. new blades.

Top Bottom