What's new

Blades that feel similar to Gillette Nacet or Gillette Platinum

I have found Derby Premiums to be close to Perma-sharp quality.

Jay

That makes one of us...

I bought 100 of them a few years back, when they were so cheap that it made sense over trying a sampler & saving literally a couple bucks.

I still have 93 of them left. I find them rather dull and scratchy. Not horrible, and usable, but definitely not the blade I would reach for when I have other choices.

Blades are the most YMMV thing ever.

Feather, Nacet, Permasharp, Wizmet are my top four blades. However, blades made in Russia are becoming difficult to get.

That's true, but there are alternatives.

For example, I really like Bic Chrome Platinums. I stocked up on Feathers when they were half the price (still not cheap) but at the current prices, I'd get Bics instead.

I also don't mind Indian Astra SP. The Russian made ones may be a bit longer lasting, but the Indian ones are still pretty good and last me at least 4 shaves. I usually toss a blade after 5.

That makes one of us...

I bought 100 of them a few years back, when they were so cheap that it made sense over trying a sampler & saving literally a couple bucks.

I still have 93 of them left. I find them rather dull and scratchy. Not horrible, and usable, but definitely not the blade I would reach for when I have other choices.

Blades are the most YMMV thing ever.
YMMV for sure. I didnt find the Derby Extra to be great but the Premiums work fine for me. Perma-sharp are my usual tho.

Jay

I actually do not think modern Derby Extra and USTAs are all that bad, based only on trying a couple blades of each. They are much better than older Derbys with the vertical box label.

Extra and USTA have different markings on the blade, but otherwise look and shave the same...doesn't mean they are. Both gave a decent 1-2 shaves. They were certainly no less sharp out of the box than a Derby Premium, but the Premium felt a little meatier (less chatter?) and lasted another shave, while being slightly smoother the entire time. I'd be hard pressed to differentiate between Derby Premium, Bluebird, and Concord. Extra & USTA are close, but a step down. Maybe that's all in my head, and this was comparing an older batch of Premiums with newer Extras.

Other than cutting hair, the Derby Family has little in common with a Nacet though. Haven't used Permasharp, but it sounds like a good bet. Treet Dura Sharp is similar in sharpness as Nacet, but feels different, which makes sense for a carbon blade with a different grind. It's a little draggier feeling during the shave but smoother afterward. Same closeness overall and worth a try - gets you onto a completely different company if it works out.

Big Astors were not good for me despite really wanting to like them. Felt like I was ripping hair out. Will try again some day in case it was a bad batch. I like Bic Chrome Platinums and think they are one of the closest shaving chrome/platinum coated blades out there, but on paper the stainless Astors would be a more direct Nacet comparison. It is still Japanese vs Russian steel coming from 2 very different factories.

I can't tell the difference between Israeli Reds and German Personna, and would use either one without complaint if that is all there was. I prefer them over US Personna Comfort Coated/Accutech/Lab Blues or anything in the Derby family, which are above any Dorco, Zorrik, or Bolzano. Still working on some Tiger/Tatra blades, but as much as I'd like to support the company, initial impression is a good (sharp) grind only on passable steel. YMMV. Itching to try the Lord Silver Stars that keep resurfacing on forums.

You're probably going to need another Gillette blade to get a Nacet feeling as others have suggested.

There seems to be mixed information about what will happen with the Russian PPI blades. Someone in another thread was saying that the blades intended for sale in countries without sanctions on Russia will still be available. That seems to be borne out by what I've seen on various sites. The blades aimed at Europe, such as the Astra or the Silver Blue, are either gone or switched to different production, while blades like the Nacet are still widely available (albeit at higher prices than before).

For what it's worth, I love the Nacet and want to make sure I have a good replacement available if they go out of production. The Dorco ST300 seems to be closest I've tried in terms of sharpness, but I'm still trying out a lot of different blades.

Top Bottom