What's new

Non-Russian alternatives to Ladas blades?

Hi there,

I've only been wet shaving and using a DE razor for about a year now so my overall experience (particularly with different blades) is quite limited. My razor is Maggard's MR11 with the V3M (mild) head and I've been using the Wilkinson Sword shaving soap in a bowl because it's cheap and available. So far I have tried the following blades:
Astra Superior Platinum
Derby Extra Super Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
Ladas Super Stainless

The only ones I actually liked were the Ladas; the rest were either just alright or not good for me. The problem is, I don't really know enough yet to be able to tell what it is I like or dislike about a particular blade, only that some seem to work better for me than others. I have oily, sensitive skin and medium thickness hair follicles but they're fairly spaced apart, are prone to ingrowns, and hardly any grows on my cheeks. I shave every two or three days but would potentially like to make the shift to shaving every day or two.

I have recently bought the two other V3 heads from Maggard (the standard V3 and V3A (aggressive)) with the intent being to test them out and compare them to one another with a blade that I know that I like and can consistently perform well with. So what I'm looking for is a blade that will provide a comfortable shave for me, but I don't know what it is I'm specifically looking for in said blade (sharpness, smoothness, coating types, blade material, etc.).

I've read some threads on Ladas blades here and elsewhere and the only truly consistent recommendations for alternatives that I've seen are other blades also made by Mostochlegmash; however, I'd like to find a non-Russian alternative to the Ladas blades. Does anyone else like the Ladas blades and has found a comparable alternative to them? Or is anyone familiar enough with the performance of the Ladas blades and can recommend similar ones to try out?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. I have never tried Ladas, so I can't speak to those. The Wilkinson Sword Classic blades are made in Germany, as are some Personnas. The Personna lab blues are made in the US. Feather blades are made in Japan, but are super sharp, so approach with caution. I believe Derbys are from Turkey, and Lord & Shark are made in Egypt. You technique is more important than the blade, by the way.

If I were pushed as to what I think is most directly comparable to Ladas (minus what I found was inconsistent quality control) are the RK blades. The reds (china) are chromium and seem sharper, the greens (Canada I think) are stainless and seem milder. If you want a go to every day blade, many on here are falling for the Suneko (some runs say Suneco) (also China) for their performance and price. I would also look at all of the Dorcos (Korean company but blades made in Vietnam) as well. I love the Primes and Titans but have zero objection to the 300s.

I think the Dorco ST-300 and 301 (same blade, different box) are smoother and a little sharper than the Ladas, but very nice. You might also try a Super-Max platinum (others like the ones with "diamond" in the name) or a Treet Falcon. The Super-Maxes aren't in production any more but are widely available and cheap.

Do Ladas feel li
Hi there,

I've only been wet shaving and using a DE razor for about a year now so my overall experience (particularly with different blades) is quite limited. My razor is Maggard's MR11 with the V3M (mild) head and I've been using the Wilkinson Sword shaving soap in a bowl because it's cheap and available. So far I have tried the following blades:
Astra Superior Platinum
Derby Extra Super Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
Ladas Super Stainless

The only ones I actually liked were the Ladas; the rest were either just alright or not good for me.
I suspect most people here have never used Ladas, so it's hard to come up with recommendations. I would ask what makes Ladas Super Stainless better than the other three for you? I understand you are having trouble zeroing in on qualities that you prefer and probably can't answer this easily.

People generally describe two things when rating razor blades: sharpness and smoothness. I think the two are related, you cannot be smooth and dull at the same time, because the lack of cutting ability makes the sensation of dragging across your whiskers more pronounced. So in my opinion, most people prefer blades on the higher side of "sharpness".

Accordingly, below are the sharper blades that are not manufactured in Russia.

India: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless, Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum, Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium (discontinued but stock is still readily bought)
Pakistan: Treet 7 Day Platinum, Treet King, Treet Dura Sharp
Bangladesh: Durablade Hi Sharp Titanium, LOI Titanium, Champion Best
Egypt: Lord Silver Star, Lord Platinum
China: Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless
USA: Accuforge Comfort Coated AGBL 6000-0000
Vietnam: Dorco Titan (the other models ST300 and STP301 might be the same blade just with different coatings - so you can try those too)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am not familiar with Ladas, but I highly recommend Personna Lab Blues, made in the USA and minimal packaging. Their labeling does not mention Lab Blue. It just says "Double edge blades" and says "comfort coated" along the side.

I think the Dorco ST-300 and 301 (same blade, different box) are smoother and a little sharper than the Ladas, but very nice. You might also try a Super-Max platinum (others like the ones with "diamond" in the name) or a Treet Falcon. The Super-Maxes aren't in production any more but are widely available and cheap.
I purchased a stock of Ladas quite a few years ago when I decided I liked them but my supply is almost gone. I also like the Dorco ST-301.
I like all the made in Vietnam Dorcos immensely. They are all smooth and consistent from shave to shave.

It is underrated for sure. I sampled the ST300 earlier this year (same blade as the ST301, just in different packaging) and thought it cut effortlessly for me. I recall using it off a 4 days' worth of growth too.
This is my blade for all of March As I’m in FFFMM. It is a fantastic blade.
IMG_0199.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. I have never tried Ladas, so I can't speak to those. The Wilkinson Sword Classic blades are made in Germany, as are some Personnas. The Personna lab blues are made in the US. Feather blades are made in Japan, but are super sharp, so approach with caution. I believe Derbys are from Turkey, and Lord & Shark are made in Egypt. You technique is more important than the blade, by the way.
Thanks! Yes, I absolutely agree that it is and I am certainly still working on my technique, but I find my sensitive skin isn't particularly forgiving of some of the blades I've used nor of my technique. The blades I've tried could very well work better for me once I've improved my technique and/or have a different head on my razor, but for now I'd like to try and find a blade that's a little more forgiving so I can better assess my own technique and progress in that regard.

If I were pushed as to what I think is most directly comparable to Ladas (minus what I found was inconsistent quality control) are the RK blades. The reds (china) are chromium and seem sharper, the greens (Canada I think) are stainless and seem milder. If you want a go to every day blade, many on here are falling for the Suneko (some runs say Suneco) (also China) for their performance and price. I would also look at all of the Dorcos (Korean company but blades made in Vietnam) as well. I love the Primes and Titans but have zero objection to the 300s.
Thanks, I'll add them all to my list of blades to try out.

Thanks, I've heard good things about those blades; will add them to my list of ones to try.

I suspect most people here have never used Ladas, so it's hard to come up with recommendations. I would ask what makes Ladas Super Stainless better than the other three for you? I understand you are having trouble zeroing in on qualities that you prefer and probably can't answer this easily.

People generally describe two things when rating razor blades: sharpness and smoothness. I think the two are related, you cannot be smooth and dull at the same time, because the lack of cutting ability makes the sensation of dragging across your whiskers more pronounced. So in my opinion, most people prefer blades on the higher side of "sharpness".

Accordingly, below are the sharper blades that are not manufactured in Russia.

India: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless, Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum, Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium (discontinued but stock is still readily bought)
Pakistan: Treet 7 Day Platinum, Treet King, Treet Dura Sharp
Bangladesh: Durablade Hi Sharp Titanium, LOI Titanium, Champion Best
Egypt: Lord Silver Star, Lord Platinum
China: Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless
USA: Accuforge Comfort Coated AGBL 6000-0000
Vietnam: Dorco Titan (the other models ST300 and STP301 might be the same blade just with different coatings - so you can try those too)
Yeah it's not an easy question for me to answer because I'm not even entirely sure I can tell the difference between a sharper vs duller blade, or how an individual blade's sharpness vs smoothness correlates compared to others. I practically never cut myself while shaving, but I'm not sure if that means that I could opt for a sharper blade and probably be fine, or if a sharper blade would only add to potential irritation. I usually only do two passes (WTG then XTG) as I don't need BBS and am trying to minimize irritation and ingrowns.

Thanks for the list!

I purchased a stock of Ladas quite a few years ago when I decided I liked them but my supply is almost gone. I also like the Dorco ST-301.
Good to know, thanks! It sounds like I'll definitely have to try those Dorcos.

I am not familiar with Ladas, but I highly recommend Personna Lab Blues, made in the USA and minimal packaging. Their labeling does not mention Lab Blue. It just says "Double edge blades" and says "comfort coated" along the side.
Thanks, will add them to my list!

It is underrated for sure. I sampled the ST300 earlier this year (same blade as the ST301, just in different packaging) and thought it cut effortlessly for me. I recall using it off a 4 days' worth of growth too.
Good to know; that's quite impressive.

Yeah it's not an easy question for me to answer because I'm not even entirely sure I can tell the difference between a sharper vs duller blade, or how an individual blade's sharpness vs smoothness correlates compared to others. I practically never cut myself while shaving, but I'm not sure if that means that I could opt for a sharper blade and probably be fine, or if a sharper blade would only add to potential irritation. I usually only do two passes (WTG then XTG) as I don't need BBS and am trying to minimize irritation and ingrowns.

Thanks for the list!
This may help:

Signs of a sharper blade:
  • Effortless cutting: The blade glides smoothly across your skin with minimal pressure required.
  • Clean shave: You achieve a close shave with minimal stubble remaining.
  • No pulling or tugging: The blade doesn't snag or pull on your beard hairs.
  • Comfortable shave: The shaving experience feels comfortable and irritation-free.
Signs of a duller blade:
  • Increased pressure required: You need to apply more pressure to achieve a decent shave.
  • Uneven shave: The shave feels patchy, and some areas might have stubble remaining.
  • Pulling and tugging: The blade feels like it's pulling or tugging on your beard hairs, which can cause irritation.
  • Increased irritation: You experience razor burn, bumps, or other forms of irritation after shaving.
A sharper blade typically makes a light, slicing sound when shaving, while a duller blade might make a scraping or dragging sound. You might also feel some "pull" from a duller blade.

It used to be thought that sharp (efficient hair removal) and smooth (not disrupting the underlying skin) were trade-offs. I think the Dorco HQ technology seems to change the bevels on the blade (round off or smooth). I think this is why they work so well in such a broad spectrum of razors. Feathers are incredible in some razors and notorious in others because they are so thin and the micro (third) bevel is so large its almost like a V or flat ground instead of the traditional three bevel razor blade. This image shows traditional knife edges, also found in razor blades.

edge grinds.jpg

A triple bevel commonly known as a trizor edge because it creates a 15 degree triple-bevel arch-shaped (smoothed double bevel) edge that resists dulling longer than conventionally sharpened hollow-ground or “V-shaped edges. I think it has a slightly less sharp edge only noticeable with experience - which may be why feathers are legendary for their efficiency (sharpness) and don't last long (IMHO).

Last edited:
Top Bottom