What's new

Astra Superior Platinum Russian vs Indian

Astra SP Russia v India.jpg

I finally got my hands on a pack of Indian Astra Superior Platinum. So a few days ago I did the comparison with the Russian. Comparisons like this will be done with every P&G blade model that becomes Indian or Chinese (when they reach me, of course.)

On the left is a Russian made pack (05/2018), on the right is an Indian one. Says 3133, that means the 13th of May 2023.
Comparison was conducted as usual. Same razor (The Shave Factory adjustable) was used for two consecutive shaves. Nothing has been changed except for the blade. Same brush, cream, aftershave. Same pass procedure (I do 3 full passes).

I must say the change is not that drastic. The Russian blade is just a tiny bit sharper (are you surprised?). The two reasons for considering it sharper than the Indian are:
1) The Indian blade had some light resistance ATG on the right side of my moustache, also when I went XTG (that's sideways) on my neck. No such resistance with the Russian blade.
2) Overall during the whole shave the Russian blade glided somewhat easier and effortlessly on my skin compared to the Indian blade.

Something important to add: During the aftershave application (during, not after that) I had more irritation with the Russian blade.
Closeness of shave seems to not have any significant differences.

I have to say the differences are pretty subtle, so my guess is at least 50% of the users will not see a difference at all.

That's all Folks!

Last edited:
View attachment 1765315

I finally got my hands on a pack of Indian Astra Superior Platinum. So a few days ago I did the comparison with the Russian. Comparisons like this will be done with every P&G blade model that becomes Indian or Chinese (when they reach me, of course.)

On the left is a Russian made pack (05/2018), on the right is an Indian one. Says 3133, that means the 13th of May 2023.
Comparison was conducted as usual. Same razor (The Shave Factory adjustable) was used for two consecutive shaves. Nothing has been changed except for the blade. Same brush, cream, aftershave. Same pass procedure (I do 3 full passes).

I must say the change is not that drastic. The Russian blade is just a tiny bit sharper (are you surprised?). The two reasons for considering it sharper than the Indian are:
1) The Indian blade had some light resistance ATG on the right side of my moustache, also when I went XTG (that's sideways) on my neck. No such resistance with the Russian blade.
2) Overall during the whole shave the Russian blade glided somewhat easier and effortlessly on my skin compared to the Indian blade.

Something important to add: During the aftershave application (during, not after that) I had more irritation with the Russian blade.
Closeness of shave seems to not have any significant differences.

I have to say the differences are pretty subtle, so my guess is at least 50% of the users will not see a difference at all.

That's all Folks!
There was an intermediate production of Russian blades which had the same wrapping as the Indian blades in the photo
The blade on the right is very old, Astra hasn't had that white wrapping for a long time

Where should I look to see when a pack of Astra SPs where made? I have some Russian ones (white wrappers) and I'm curious how old they are.

There was an intermediate production of Russian blades which had the same wrapping as the Indian blades in the photo
The blade on the right is very old, Astra hasn't had that white wrapping for a long time
Do you think I don't know that thing about the wrappings? I stated in the post when the Russian blades used in the comparison were made.
If you think blades made 5 years ago are very old, or you are not satisfied with anything in the original post, feel free to conduct your own comparison. ;)

That's good news. I wonder if it is maybe just down to a difference in the amount of coating - a bit more on the Russian blade it feels sharper?
Or different steel, or different grinding and honing equipment.... We could continue with the "or.... or...."

Do you think I don't know that thing about the wrappings? I stated in the post when the Russian blades used in the comparison were made.
If you think blades made 5 years ago are very old, or you are not satisfied with anything in the original post, feel free to conduct your own comparison. ;)
No, I absolutely didn't mean to say that you didn't know about the wrapper
But I had heard that there was a difference already from blades with white paper and blades with new casing "always Russian"
I wanted to say this, maybe we misunderstood each other
So a 3 blade comparison could be made white wrapping, new "Russian" wrapping, Indian

View attachment 1765337
Is it this number? I don't have the larger box the tucks came in. I got these years ago, so the info isn't crucial, I'm just curious.
Your box is Russian.
That number is different depending on the market the packaging is intended for. You will see 2 or 3 different numbers on the Russian made blades. The ones I used in the comparison don't have your number.

No, I absolutely didn't mean to say that you didn't know about the wrapper
But I had heard that there was a difference already from blades with white paper and blades with new casing "always Russian"
I wanted to say this, maybe we misunderstood each other
Where did you hear that? I have used a 2021 Russian made Astra SP (black writing on the wrapper) and even ones with a double wrapper from 2010. Haven't felt the slightest difference.

The blades that were changed in Russia were the Astra SS. The change has been done between 2012 and 2017 Astra Superior Stainless (PPI) Old vs New - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/astra-superior-stainless-ppi-old-vs-new.640996/

Or different steel, or different grinding and honing equipment.... We could continue with the "or.... or...."

Hey, go easy on me. I haven't had any coffee yet!

It's just that since this post by @psfred I have been toying with the theory that maybe the reason a lot of blades from the Indian sub-continent seem less sharp (and even unusable for some brands) than the typical PPI blades is not because of what is going on with the steel - it's the amount of coatings. No way to verify that of course, without somone trying to work out the amount of PTFE on them with mass spectrometry or something. Just musing to myself!

Where did you hear that? I have used a 2021 Russian made Astra SP (black writing on the wrapper) and even ones with a double wrapper from 2010. Haven't felt the slightest difference.
That's what I wanted to hear you say... I own both old and new "Russian" wrapping and I didn't feel any difference 👍
Sometimes feelings and opinions are different

It's just that since this post by @psfred I have been toying with the theory that maybe the reason a lot of blades from the Indian sub-continent seem less sharp (and even unusable for some brands) than the typical PPI blades is not because of what is going on with the steel - it's the amount of coatings. No way to verify that of course, without somone trying to work out the amount of PTFE on them with mass spectrometry or something. Just musing to myself!
My point is a few members here will attribute differences between plants to the coatings only. But honing has a significant part in it too.

That's what I wanted to hear you say... I own both old and new "Russian" wrapping and I didn't feel any difference 👍
Sometimes feelings and opinions are different
Most certainly. You can read here a review, where a member says he doesn't feel the slightest difference between the Russian and Indian Astra SP. And there is a report by another member, who claims the Indian ones are sharper.

Your box is Russian.
That number is different depending on the market the packaging is intended for. You will see 2 or 3 different numbers on the Russian made blades. The ones I used in the comparison don't have your number.
Thank you for linking that thread, if they only started dating the packs in 2016, I would've got these in 2015 or so, explaining the lack of date.

My point is a few members here will attribute differences between plants to the coatings only. But honing has a significant part in it too.

Most certainly. You can read here a review, where a member says he doesn't feel the slightest difference between the Russian and Indian Astra SP. And there is a report by another member, who claims the Indian ones are sharper.
I prefer the Russian version, I agree with its "sharpest" review
Perhaps I was previously misunderstood as to what I wanted to say🙂

Another thought:
Everyone says the other plants blades are less sharp than the same models made in Russia. It is actually the other way round. The Russian made blades of the same models are sharper than those models made in Czech, India, Poland etc. Even compared to the Gillette blades of old that were made in the UK, Germany, Spain, US etc.
If you are hooked to the sharper iterations of the same models from Russia, you have my condolences. :c1: (This was supposed to be double edge blade collectors humour.)

Top Bottom