What's new

Non-Russian alternatives to Ladas blades?

This may help:

Signs of a sharper blade:
  • Effortless cutting: The blade glides smoothly across your skin with minimal pressure required.
  • Clean shave: You achieve a close shave with minimal stubble remaining.
  • No pulling or tugging: The blade doesn't snag or pull on your beard hairs.
  • Comfortable shave: The shaving experience feels comfortable and irritation-free.
Signs of a duller blade:
  • Increased pressure required: You need to apply more pressure to achieve a decent shave.
  • Uneven shave: The shave feels patchy, and some areas might have stubble remaining.
  • Pulling and tugging: The blade feels like it's pulling or tugging on your beard hairs, which can cause irritation.
  • Increased irritation: You experience razor burn, bumps, or other forms of irritation after shaving.
A sharper blade typically makes a light, slicing sound when shaving, while a duller blade might make a scraping or dragging sound. You might also feel some "pull" from a duller blade.

It used to be thought that sharp (efficient hair removal) and smooth (not disrupting the underlying skin) were trade-offs. I think the Dorco HQ technology seems to change the bevels on the blade (round off or smooth). I think this is why they work so well in such a broad spectrum of razors. Feathers are incredible in some razors and notorious in others because they are so thin and the micro (third) bevel is so large its almost like a V or flat ground instead of the traditional three bevel razor blade. This image shows traditional knife edges, also found in razor blades.

View attachment 1805495

A triple bevel commonly known as a trizor edge because it creates a 15 degree triple-bevel arch-shaped (smoothed double bevel) edge that resists dulling longer than conventionally sharpened hollow-ground or “V-shaped edges. I think it has a slightly less sharp edge only noticeable with experience - which may be why feathers are legendary for their efficiency (sharpness) and don't last long (IMHO).
Not sure I explained it well. A triple bevel is a blade that has three distinct bevels or angles on its edge. This type of blade typically features a primary bevel, a secondary bevel, and a micro bevel. The primary bevel is the large, angled section that forms the initial edge, while the secondary bevel is a smaller angled section that is often used to refine the edge. The micro bevel is a tiny, almost imperceptible edge that is added to increase durability and sharpness. One has to be careful with GEM blades as those used for scraping have one or two bevels, whereas those for shaving have three.

This may help:

Signs of a sharper blade:
  • Effortless cutting: The blade glides smoothly across your skin with minimal pressure required.
  • Clean shave: You achieve a close shave with minimal stubble remaining.
  • No pulling or tugging: The blade doesn't snag or pull on your beard hairs.
  • Comfortable shave: The shaving experience feels comfortable and irritation-free.
Signs of a duller blade:
  • Increased pressure required: You need to apply more pressure to achieve a decent shave.
  • Uneven shave: The shave feels patchy, and some areas might have stubble remaining.
  • Pulling and tugging: The blade feels like it's pulling or tugging on your beard hairs, which can cause irritation.
  • Increased irritation: You experience razor burn, bumps, or other forms of irritation after shaving.
A sharper blade typically makes a light, slicing sound when shaving, while a duller blade might make a scraping or dragging sound. You might also feel some "pull" from a duller blade.

It used to be thought that sharp (efficient hair removal) and smooth (not disrupting the underlying skin) were trade-offs. I think the Dorco HQ technology seems to change the bevels on the blade (round off or smooth). I think this is why they work so well in such a broad spectrum of razors. Feathers are incredible in some razors and notorious in others because they are so thin and the micro (third) bevel is so large its almost like a V or flat ground instead of the traditional three bevel razor blade. This image shows traditional knife edges, also found in razor blades.

View attachment 1805495

A triple bevel commonly known as a trizor edge because it creates a 15 degree triple-bevel arch-shaped (smoothed double bevel) edge that resists dulling longer than conventionally sharpened hollow-ground or “V-shaped edges. I think it has a slightly less sharp edge only noticeable with experience - which may be why feathers are legendary for their efficiency (sharpness) and don't last long (IMHO).

Not sure I explained it well. A triple bevel is a blade that has three distinct bevels or angles on its edge. This type of blade typically features a primary bevel, a secondary bevel, and a micro bevel. The primary bevel is the large, angled section that forms the initial edge, while the secondary bevel is a smaller angled section that is often used to refine the edge. The micro bevel is a tiny, almost imperceptible edge that is added to increase durability and sharpness. One has to be careful with GEM blades as those used for scraping have one or two bevels, whereas those for shaving have three.
I appreciate the explanation. Revisiting this blog article, I think what might have been the problem for me is the inconsistency in sharpness of some blades across multiple shaves. I admittedly haven't been paying much attention to the sounds made by my razor when I shave, but I'll keep it in mind going forward. I definitely still have a lot of room for improvement with my technique and am going to start a shave journal to help me better track my problems and progress.

I do wish razor blade companies would provide all the specifications of their blades though so we could more easily compare them and determine which we might or might not like. Right now it feels a lot like trying to compare vehicles by just driving them around and without knowing about anything under the hood. Sure that method can be good enough to find something that works for you but it makes it hard to make meaningful comparisons without already having a lot of experience.

I appreciate the explanation. Revisiting this blog article, I think what might have been the problem for me is the inconsistency in sharpness of some blades across multiple shaves. I admittedly haven't been paying much attention to the sounds made by my razor when I shave, but I'll keep it in mind going forward. I definitely still have a lot of room for improvement with my technique and am going to start a shave journal to help me better track my problems and progress.

I do wish razor blade companies would provide all the specifications of their blades though so we could more easily compare them and determine which we might or might not like. Right now it feels a lot like trying to compare vehicles by just driving them around and without knowing about anything under the hood. Sure that method can be good enough to find something that works for you but it makes it hard to make meaningful comparisons without already having a lot of experience.
Something to keep in mind is some blades are sharper on their second or third use as the coating wears off and then dull as the edge wears. I test new razors with an uncoated blade (usual Treet Carbon) for that reason.

I like Ladas blades and I use them pretty frequently. I think what you mentioned about alternatives is true. The only other blades I've tried that are even remotely similar are also made by Mostochlegmash. Ladas blades tend to be very smooth and a bit less sharp feeling than many others, so they are pretty unique feeling for me. A lot like Voskhod or Rapira Super Stainless blades. The best recommendations I can provide is to recommend other blades that I also like. They're smoother feeling blades for me, but not just like the Ladas blades, because none that I've tried are just like the Ladas blades.

I know they're pretty universally unliked around here, but the normal Derby Extra blades that you've already tried are really good on my face. I really like the old ones from before 2016 that everyone says are really bad. They're a little like the Ladas blades in that they're very smooth feeling. At least for me.

I like the Tatra Platinum blades that are made in the Czech Republic and they are pretty smooth feeling, a little like the Ladas.

The Silver Star Super Stainless blades made in Egypt are good blades, too. They're pretty smooth feeling for me, but they are a little sharper feeling than the Ladas.

Something to keep in mind is some blades are sharper on their second or third use as the coating wears off and then dull as the edge wears. I test new razors with an uncoated blade (usual Treet Carbon) for that reason.
That's a good idea, thanks for the tip!

I like Ladas blades and I use them pretty frequently. I think what you mentioned about alternatives is true. The only other blades I've tried that are even remotely similar are also made by Mostochlegmash. Ladas blades tend to be very smooth and a bit less sharp feeling than many others, so they are pretty unique feeling for me. A lot like Voskhod or Rapira Super Stainless blades. The best recommendations I can provide is to recommend other blades that I also like. They're smoother feeling blades for me, but not just like the Ladas blades, because none that I've tried are just like the Ladas blades.

I know they're pretty universally unliked around here, but the normal Derby Extra blades that you've already tried are really good on my face. I really like the old ones from before 2016 that everyone says are really bad. They're a little like the Ladas blades in that they're very smooth feeling. At least for me.

I like the Tatra Platinum blades that are made in the Czech Republic and they are pretty smooth feeling, a little like the Ladas.

The Silver Star Super Stainless blades made in Egypt are good blades, too. They're pretty smooth feeling for me, but they are a little sharper feeling than the Ladas.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely have to try them out! And I'll revisit the Derby Extras too; they were the first blades I used when I was learning so my experience with them could've been due to poor technique and whatnot. It's nice to hear from someone else who likes the Ladas blades.

I used to really like Ladas blades since I valued a 'smooth/comfortable' shave over a 'close' shave. I have fairly easy-to-shave whiskers, so upper-tier sharpness was not a factor in many of my shaves. I found the Swedish Super-Steels from the same company very close in comfort, but you aren't looking for more blades from them.

I enjoy a slightly sharper blade these days over the Ladas, but a smooth shaver not from Russia I always like to suggest is the Lord Sliver Star from Egypt. It's not crazy sharp, but it is very smooth ( at least to me ). Many users here seem to like them.

I used to really like Ladas blades since I valued a 'smooth/comfortable' shave over a 'close' shave. I have fairly easy-to-shave whiskers, so upper-tier sharpness was not a factor in many of my shaves. I found the Swedish Super-Steels from the same company very close in comfort, but you aren't looking for more blades from them.

I enjoy a slightly sharper blade these days over the Ladas, but a smooth shaver not from Russia I always like to suggest is the Lord Sliver Star from Egypt. It's not crazy sharp, but it is very smooth ( at least to me ). Many users here seem to like them.
Thanks for your input!

Ladas don’t seem that sharp to me though they are smooth, similar would be Lord Platinum(not Silver Star as they are way sharper), Indian wilkies and 7 o’clock greens(definitely not black), Treet Platinum, anything from SuperMax.

Ladas don’t seem that sharp to me though they are smooth, similar would be Lord Platinum(not Silver Star as they are way sharper), Indian wilkies and 7 o’clock greens(definitely not black), Treet Platinum, anything from SuperMax.
Good to know, thanks for your input!

You explain it very well. Thanks.

Blades are likely the most YMMV aspect of ‘traditional’ wet shaving.

That said, I suggest you explore options from the following non-Russian manufacturers: Personna (especially lab blues and reds), Lord (for example, Silver Star and Shark), and Dorco (especially the Primes).

The main thing is to enjoy the ride IMO!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom