What's new

Astra Superior Platinum Russian vs Indian

I have always used the Russian ones, didn't even know where they were made until the recent move of production talk.

Most things change for the worse, so I stocked up on some a few months ago, just in case.
Last time when I ordered 300 Astra SP's I got the Indian ones. I don't have a microscope if I had I would do a microscopic comparison of both blades.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Just had my first shave with an Indian Astra. It is definitely different from the Russian Astras, but it’s a good blade. However, it is no longer a blade I would recommend to new shavers. The Russian Astras are a milder shave that are great for new DE users. The Indian Astras remind me of Silver Blues. They’re smooth and sharp, actually felt great, but they’re definitely not the same mild shave as before.

I’d say the new Astras are an A class blade. Very good. Some will actually prefer them to the Russian Astras for sure. But they are different, and now I’m not sure what to recommend for milder blades because Astras were always the ones I looked to for that purpose.

I just finished my comparison between the Indian and Russian Astra SPs, as the Russian ones were my good old go-to blade and was concerned about having to find a different one.

For my testing, I used Stirling Bay Rum shave soap, face-lathered with my G5C Synthetic fan brush, and used my Merkur Progress. I did three 3-pass shaves with the razor set to 4 for the WTG and XTG passes and 3 for ATG, except for the third shave where I was distracted before starting and forgot to reset it, so all passes were at 3 for that one. Doh!

I shave daily. The first three shaves were with the Indian Astra SP. Then I had a "reset" shave, still with the same soap but an Omega boar brush, and a Weber SS PH razor with a Personna X-series blade. This was what I shaved with the day before I started this testing, so that way the next round would start the same way. Then I went back to the Progress with the Russian Astra SP for three shaves, using the same settings as the first time including the "all 3" on the last shave.

And the results - both blades gave me essentially the same excellent shave. Both seemed smooth and sharp enough to mow down my spiky and coarse "older guy" salt and pepper whiskers with no nicks, weepers, or irritation. Both gave me the same little to no feedback from the alum block.

Are there differences between the blades (other than markings)? Is one sharper than the other? Is one smoother than the other? I don't know as I can't tell those particular nuances between them. My shaves were equal, and that is what matters to me.

As for the longevity of each blade. For me it doesn't really matter as I ditch a blade after 3 shaves anyway - I find that I usually get diminishing returns after that and it isn't worth chasing an extra shave or two, probably sub-par, in order to save a cent or two. Blades are cheap.

So, I still have my go-to blade, the Astra SP. And, I have 99 more Indian made to go to. :) (In addition to the Russian ones I have left).

There was an intermediate production of Russian blades which had the same wrapping as the Indian blades in the photo
The blade on the right is very old, Astra hasn't had that white wrapping for a long time
I have Russian green Astra SP purchased last year and can confirm that is indeed the case the newer Russian Astra's have the same winding as the new Indian blades.

Astra_Green .jpg

So in summary, those who have compared them say that the Indian Astra blades are much sharper than the Russian ones.

Last edited:

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I have Russian green Astra SP purchased last year and can confirm that is indeed the case the newer Russian Astra's have the same winding as the new Indian blades.

View attachment 1814283
So in summary, those who have compared them say that the Indian Astra blades are much sharper than the Russian ones.
Exactly. “Sharper” is the better word; I’ve said they were “rougher.” I do not like the Indian blades.

I ordered “Made in Russia” blades from Amazon and didn’t look at the package. I shaved with one and immediately felt the difference. Only then did I look and see they were made in India. I was unable to return them, but, Amazon granted me a refund.

I am now in possession of 600-700 PPI (Russia) blades. Unfortunately for me, I received a pack of Lab Blues with a razor purchase and they have become my go-to blade in all of my DE razors. I like them much better than Astras, with the YMMV caveat.

Well, I had read it.
So should I edit to write that most people who compared them found no difference except that the Russian one is slightly sharper?

Well, I had read it.
So should I edit to write that most people who compared them found no difference except that the Russian one is slightly sharper?
Of course not.

I wrote that "at least 50% of the users will not see a difference at all". So I don't think we are talking here "much sharper" as you stated in post #44. Be it the Indian or the Russian blade.

Curious if you have compared the Russian vs the Indian blade.

I will answer that I have not compared the Indian and Russian blades and I will point out that I don't know exactly what year of production my Russian blades are from, certainly judging from the photos, more recent than yours produced in 2018.

Perhaps the different perceptions and opinions can also depend on this?

I'll say more.
Last year I found the older Russian Astra SPs with the lighter casing like the ones in the photo shown by @ivan_101 and they seemed absolutely sharper than the more recent Russian Astras like the ones in the photo I put above.

Last edited:
I wrote that "at least 50% of the users will not see a difference at all". So I don't think we are talking here "much sharper" as you stated in post #44. Be it the Indian or the Russian blade.
If 50% find no differences between the two blades, what will the remaining 50% say?
Very curious.
I suspect that I've read all the reviews of the other half who find the Indian Astra SPs sharper than the Russian ones.
That's okay because it's all very subjective.

The bottom line for Gillette...IMHO...They will see similar sales for the Astra as they have for the last several years. The percentage of people who may change brands, will be offset by those who start using Astra and have no previous frame of reference to the Russian Astra. These blade markets are always changing due to demographics and a constantly changing base.

My concern is if the majority of users who have tried the two blades do not notice any significant difference between Indians and Russians, they should continue to buy the green Astras.
Otherwise, if they prefer one to the other it means that there are differences, as soon as I find a new Indian green astra I will personally evaluate.

Here is a video another testimonial that says the Indian Astra superior stainless is sharper than the Russian Astra.

Also in another forum I had read that the Astra superior platinum Indian blade is sharper than the Russian blade, and it just so happens that the reviewer had used two Henson razors with the same head as the razors used for comparison in this video.
Will it be the type of razor that makes the Indian look sharper than the Russian?
My puzzlement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom