What's new

Lapping film, try it.

With the growing interest in these lapping films, I'm surprised a vendor hasn't started selling bevel-to-polish variety packs of the films.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
One nice thing about the growing popularity of film is that perhaps large coticules won't get so much more expensive, so quickly.

I just got done touching up a 1/4 grind Wacker on some films. It went like this (recommended by a friend)

3 micron 60 laps
1 micron 60 laps
1 micron with wet paper underneath 40 laps

The bevel looks very nice, mirror shine. Passes HHT with authority. We'll see how it shaves here in a bit.

Good to see my thread is living still. Shaved this morning with a 5/8 Flaschner touched up with 60 laps of 1 micron and 40 0.1 on wet paper, and a few laps with CroX on balsa.
Just excellent. Super sharp yet smooth.

I got a chance to try the lapping film today. WOW! Talk about a sharp but smooth shave. I did 4 from scratch (C-Mon, W&B Celebrated Hollow Ground, Golden Rod Special, Sterling) and a touch up on the Henckels 80 and CVH Mk No4. Tried the C-Mon today this was the smoothest straight shave to date.

I did the following:
12 micron 90 laps to set the bevel
5 micron 60 laps
3 micron 60 laps
1 micron 60 laps

Touch ups:
3 micron 60 laps
1 micron 60 laps

Is your lap a round trip lap meaning 60 strokes in each direction or a total number of laps, 30 in each direction?

1 lap is a "roundtrip" 1 stroke in each direction.

Thanks! I often wonder what factors determine the number of laps. Did it start out with 25 laps, then someone said 30 sounded better, and then it made it to 50 because 100 strokes seemed good, and then it got upped to 60 because if 100 would be good let's do 20 more and shoot for even better.

For the most part, like with any honing, you progress to the next level when you see that the scratch pattern from the lower hone/film has been removed.

I nish someone would supply films that I could get in the UK I'd love to try some. The scratch pattern is the scratches left by a lower grit hone, a 1K hone will leave scratches then a 4K hone would polish these out leaving its own finer scratches and so on up to the higher grit hones that polish to microscopic scratches that look like a mirror to the naked eye. I'm a noob too but that's my description.

Rob

I just got done touching up a 1/4 grind Wacker on some films. It went like this (recommended by a friend)

3 micron 60 laps
1 micron 60 laps

The bevel looks very nice, mirror shine. Passes HHT with authority. We'll see how it shaves here in a bit.

Waiting to see how you liked it Rick.

Is your lap a round trip lap meaning 60 strokes in each direction or a total number of laps, 30 in each direction?

1 lap is a "roundtrip" 1 stroke in each direction.

As Blix said, 1 stroke in each direction.

Top Bottom