What's new

Lapping film, try it.

So, I tried this stuff out for the first time today. Not really having a clue what I was doing. Took a few that needed touch ups and one the just needed some umph added to it.
The ones that needed more, I started lowest grit. Started with the 5 funny um, then 3, then 1, then .3. Some got all 4, others got 1.

Test shave. One word. Remarkafreakinble. This is truly amazing stuff. If you like a nice smooth shave, this is it.

Yup.

Blast all you enabling folks. How do you find the edge lasts? Say like diamond spray edges are typically...brittle (can't think of better word). But the sharpness doesn't last very long. 2-3 shaves. Is lapping film the same or does it last a little longer? I'm guessing it lasts longer based on the way it feels smooth and solid. Does my wording make sense?

Mine just showed up today. ThorLabs was kind enough to send a box of random snack food with it....***. Anyway, I will be giving it a go later. Thanks again to everyone for all the great info about this stuff.

I tried the wet paper under the finishing film the other night.

What crazy man thought of it??? Pure genius. A virtual Guinness to you my man.

I got some 3m lapping film in the post today and it has the sticky back but I don't want to actually stick it to anything.
Any ideas?

Mine just showed up today. ThorLabs was kind enough to send a box of random snack food with it....***.

Yes, they do that - kind of cool from a PR perspective, but it's a huge waste of shipping resources. Instead of getting a flat envelope, you get a BFB because of the snack box in there. The trail mix is good, though. :)

Yes, they do that - kind of cool from a PR perspective, but it's a huge waste of shipping resources. Instead of getting a flat envelope, you get a BFB because of the snack box in there. The trail mix is good, though. :)

It was good trail mix, but seriously a huge waste of shipping expense. Even SWMBO said "They sent those little sheets of paper in that huge box?"

I tried the wet paper under the finishing film the other night.

What crazy man thought of it??? Pure genius. A virtual Guinness to you my man.

I got some 3m lapping film in the post today and it has the sticky back but I don't want to actually stick it to anything.
Any ideas?

Does it have the paper on the back? If so don't remove the paper.

I got a chance to try the lapping film today. WOW! Talk about a sharp but smooth shave. I did 4 from scratch (C-Mon, W&B Celebrated Hollow Ground, Golden Rod Special, Sterling) and a touch up on the Henckels 80 and CVH Mk No4. Tried the C-Mon today this was the smoothest straight shave to date.

I did the following:
12 micron 90 laps to set the bevel
5 micron 60 laps
3 micron 60 laps
1 micron 60 laps
1 micron with wet paper underneath 40 laps

Touch ups:
3 micron 60 laps
1 micron 60 laps
1 micron with wet paper underneath 40 laps

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I only use stones for repair work, these days. The finest stone I have is a 1k/6k combo and the 6k side isn't getting much love lately.

Top Bottom