What's new

Ray-Ban Predator 2 Grey Polarized Lenses Black Nylon Frame Shades

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@BradWorld @OkieStubble

Now that I own a pair of quality sunglasses for just walking around outside in the sun, I got that covered.

For doing lawncare however, I just have a pair of those cheap 3M safety glasses with the foam gasket inserts on them. Since you two are responsible for getting me excited into getting a pair of Oakley's, I decided that what I don't have, is a quality pair of safety glasses. With much deliberation with the hole in my head, I did finally manage to pick out a pair that I think that I would like.

1696082001300.png

Those are Oakley Ballistic Det Cord with Prism technology built into the lenses. I figure, anything designed for soldiers to wear while in a shooting battle, with lots of high speed impacts, auda be equal, if not better, then anything rated as safety glasses for a rock flying into your eye from a weed eater. And I think I would appreciate the prism technology to cut down on the washed out sun glare, and provide me an higher clarity for the job at hand.

Several sites carry these specific pair. But since I am not in the know, what site would you folks recommend, as being the safest, and most reliable store, to purchase these from?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Ah, I see your issue. Fortunately I don’t have that.

In my case, the bifocal section is sized and positioned very low to not interfere with my vision when aiming. It’s only for reading small text when dialing in an optic, or looking at the markings on the rounds, for example. I have to look way down through the very bottom of the glasses to read. But my last set of lenses were just single focal length and made reading small text impossible. So this is much better. And of course they are made of z87 safety glass. These lenses would not work for normal everyday glasses.

Regarding your issue, my glasses guy is an avid shooter, so he is in the know on these things. He has an available option for a third optic panel positioned on the high side of the lens near the top, for clarifying the view of sights etc. The way he explained it to me was that you drop your head down just a bit to use the sights clearly. I guess they would be trifocals. I didn’t feel the need to go to that level. Maybe it’s something you can evaluate.
Been there done that. Spent several hundred dollars on a trifocal a few years ago. Just as you described it, the top portion of the lenses gave me clarity down range and the bottom bifocal allowed me to read and make adjustments to the firearm or optics.

But the middle portion of the lense, which was to allow me to see the sights at arms length when aiming? That middle window was so small, it just seemed to tricky to keep my eyes in that small window to focus. My eyes seemed to naturally bounce around between the various zones of the trifocal because there were no visible lines between the bottom bifocal and to where the different magnification for arm’s length and further down range. I got tired of my eyes and the feeling of bouncing back and forth between the different ranges when I was trying to stay focused on just one particular range. It was quite frustrating really and I soon gave up on them quickly.

Bifocals help with reading and handling things up close and prescription’s help seeing things clearly at distance. But there just isn’t anything that helps the sights not to be blurry once the pistol is extended to arms reach when aiming. I just have learned to adapt when shooting and just don’t use prescription glasses when doing so. Kind of a pain but it is what it is. :)

OkieStubble

@BradWorld @OkieStubble

Now that I own a pair of quality sunglasses for just walking around outside in the sun, I got that covered.

For doing lawncare however, I just have a pair of those cheap 3M safety glasses with the foam gasket inserts on them. Since you two are responsible for getting me excited into getting a pair of Oakley's, I decided that what I don't have, is a quality pair of safety glasses. With much deliberation with the hole in my head, I did finally manage to pick out a pair that I think that I would like.

Those are Oakley Ballistic Det Cord with Prism technology built into the lenses. I figure, anything designed for soldiers to wear while in a shooting battle, with lots of high speed impacts, auda be equal, if not better, then anything rated as safety glasses for a rock flying into your eye from a weed eater. And I think I would appreciate the prism technology to cut down on the washed out sun glare, and provide me an higher clarity for the job at hand.

Several sites carry these specific pair. But since I am not in the know, what site would you folks recommend, as being the safest, and most reliable store, to purchase these from?

Those look really nice. Sound expensive. I like trying stuff on before I purchase, so I always attempt to purchase thru B&M’s before I do online for clothes, eyewear, etc.

I got my Oakley’s and Ray Ban’s from an Academy Sporting Goods store for around $150 for each pair. :)

OkieStubble

I shot metallic silhouettes with an 80 year old. He had glasses made for shooting offhand. He had tri-focals made with a prescription in a part of the lens that let him see the sights when he shouldered a long gun.

The window that’s made into my trifocals is so thin and right in the dead center of the lense, it wears me out trying to find that small sliver in the lense with my eyes and the effort it takes to keep my head there and not accidentally bounce back down to the bifocal or back up to the part for distance seems difficult and frustrating.

Patience definitely isn’t one of my virtues. :)

Oakleys are often found at bargain prices on GOVx.com if you have access to that site.
Oakley and Costa glasses have been my choices for some time, Had some Maui Jim Banyans...not durable at all. Customer service is pretty much "Too bad, so sad".
another good choice is WileyX. Built for the long haul.

OkieStubble

Oh man, you folks are such enablers, your making me want to buy Oakley Tacticals now. I probably don't want to know how much they cost though. 🤣

Serious Stand By GIF by California Army National Guard

The gazing tactical look, probably seen some action, and certainly has more bravery then me lol.

The cool thing about having a pair of Ray Ban’s and Oakley’s is?

I can throw on a pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt in warm weather; and with just adding a pair of white dockers tennis shoes and my Ray Ban’s? I can be stepping out with a cool black James Dean kinda style, vibe thing… going on. :)

Cooler weather? Keep those same blue jeans, t-shirt, white tennis shoes, Ray Ban’s and simply just add my Schott’s Navy Pea Coat? Now, I’m rocking a totally different ‘Boon Dock Saints kinda.. vibe, thing. :)

And If I wanted to easily switch that up? Keep the jeans, t-shirt, pea coat and just change the tennis shoes to black boots and change out my Ray Ban’s for the Oakley’s? Now, I’m lookin’ like a black Arnold Schwarzenegger and just need a motorcycle to complete the Terminator look. :)

Edit: Can switch out the pea coat for the vintage black leather car coat and go Soprano’s on everyone… ;)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Oakleys are often found at bargain prices on GOVx.com if you have access to that site.
Oakley and Costa glasses have been my choices for some time, Had some Maui Jim Banyans...not durable at all. Customer service is pretty much "Too bad, so sad".
another good choice is WileyX. Built for the long haul.

Costa’s are very cool. You have great taste Tim! :)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Yeah, I don't have access to GovX, it seems to be a site engineered for government workers only, military personal, that sort of thing. And even though I have a couple family members who served in the military, I have 0-access to that information to register as even a family member of someone who served. Thanks for the suggestion @Acmemfg I appreciate it, but GovX is a no go for me. I've seen Willy's listed in google search before, I wouldn't mind looking them up for something equivalent to Oakley's.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I am now looking at these. They are ballistic rated, and meet both Ansii and Mill Spec certification for impacts. They are a small goggle configuration, that comes with a strap, to prevent them from falling off my head when I bend over, which is a lot actually, to pick up trash, or my equipment off the ground. They come with anti-fog lenses, which is great, because my current pair of 3M safety glasses, they fog up so easily! And they come with a foam gasket, just as my 3M pair do, so that should be solid dust control, to keep debri out.

You'd be amazed at how dust, dirt, and grass, tend to defi the laws of physics. You'd think they'd come straight at your lenses like rocks do, but nope, they go around the lenses, and go straight into your eyes. And since I suffer from miner allergies, all I need is a spec of dirt, grass, or pollen in my eyes, and then their itchy and bloodshot now. So a foam gasket is a must! They appear to come with both a clear lens, as well as a smoke lens, as well as come with an additional strap and case.

Screenshot from 2023-09-30 09-35-51.png

And lastly, as you can clearly see in the picture I posted above, the price is most certainly right here. What do you folks think?

PS: I love the StarGate show, one of the best sci-fi shows ever made for TV. Maybe if I wear these, I can be an SG-1 team member. <<<--- You see what I did there? 😁

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I had a pair Ray-ban aviator photo chromic amber sun glasses and they where some of the best sun glasses I ever owned. They where a little heavier because they where made from glass and not plastic. I will have to look around for them. They where real good driving in low light at night and fog, I swear you could see at least 10% better in fog or snow storms.
I found my Rayban photochromic amber sunny's in my car and saw the Rayban thread again, they needed a good cleaning of the lenses look still great. When wearing these Rayban's the greens sure come out nicer, everthing looks crisper when viewing IMO. Today My eyes need prescription for seeing car instruments (distance OK) so I use yellow night driving clip-on made of plastic from Zenni optical over my prescription glasses the last few years for night driving mostly.

These Rayban photocromic aviators weigh 40 grams with glass lenses and are about 28 years old and still function.
My old Rayban photochromic amber sunnies..jpg

Great for playing baseball tournaments I recall when pitching, I could see a little better facing the sun or least I thought I did.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I found my Rayban photochromic amber sunny's in my car and saw the Rayban thread again, they needed a good cleaning of the lenses look still great. When wearing these Rayban's the greens sure come out nicer, everthing looks crisper when viewing IMO. Today My eyes need prescription for seeing car instruments (distance OK) so I use yellow night driving clip-on made of plastic from Zenni optical over my prescription glasses the last few years for night driving mostly.

These Rayban photocromic aviators weigh 40 grams with glass lenses and are about 28 years old and still function.
View attachment 1725652
Great for playing baseball tournaments I recall when pitching, I could see a little better facing the sun or least I thought I did.

I agree Ron, those look awesome still. Tom Crews may make claims that his movie Top Gun, is what truly put Ray Ban Aviators on the map. But you can at least step up to him and say, ( While putting yours on ) "But mine are yellow, and I can drive at night, good luck seeing where your going with them dark lenses!" HAHA

You clearly took care of them as well, in order to last 20-years, its not just build quality alone. I am sure they have another 20-years left in them, as long as you continue to take care of them. Also, I should tell you, I used to ride a scooter, and I wore motorcycle grade plastic goggles with the yellow lens on them. They weren't a high end pair at all, only paid 35 for them, but wow that yellow lens lets you see more at night, things are just so much more clearer, so I can speak from experience on that @Ron R Good deal!

So I went and did it folks, I blame you enablers. Enablers R Us B&B HAHA. I purchased the Willy's! Link to my thread bellow...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Where I live in Northern Alberta we have a lots of wild life grazing along the highways and sure enough they get spooked easily or some moose just trots out in front of the car at a suddens notice. Lots of the dead animals are seen alongside the road every year unfortunately . If you can see them a few seconds quicker it helps a little IMO so proper eye glasses make a difference.
I learned something new the other day because I have been upgrading my glasses and read eyeglass Anti reflective coatings help in reducing headlight glare + keeping the windshield glass clean also reduces night time glare.

Top Bottom