What's new

Wiley X SG-1 Ballistic Tactical Goggles ( SWCT Is Ready For The Stargate Program Now )

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Wiley X SG-1 Ballistic Tactical Goggles

1696103211639.png

Ballistic MIL-PRF-32432(GL) Spec
ANSI Z87.1+ Safety Spec
US Federal OSHA 1910.133(b)(1)(1) standards

Comes with 4 Shatterproof Selenite™ Polycarbonate lenses, ( Clear ) & ( Grey/Smoke )
Matt Black Frame & Elastic Goggle Strap
100% UVA/UVB protection with distortion free clarity
T-Shell™ Lens coating resists scratching
Foil™ lens coating provides anti-fog protection
Foam Gasket Seal To Keep Out Dust Wind Light
Sleek Night Vision Goggle (NVG) Compatible design
RX Prescription Ready
Blocks the UV (Ultraviolet) that are harmful to our eyes, reducing the risk of damage to retinal cells and age-related macular degeneration while also reducing haze. Provides exceptional protection and visibility in any condition.

Fit (Head Size)Universal
Lens MaterialPolycarbonate
Bridge Size (mm)24
Lens Width (mm)60
Lens Height (mm)36
Temple Length (mm)130

Those who have been following me, already know that I bought a pair of Ray-Ban shades, they are great for walking around in the sun, but they do not have any safety glass AKA ballistic protection. After getting ever so positively enabled by the B&B crew, ( Thats right, its your fault, I blame you folks LOL! ) I did some research, and came across a solid pair, of smaller sized goggles, that would be perfect for doing lawncare.

I currently have been using a pair of 3M branded safety gasket glasses. So while they do have the foam insert, they fog up like crazy, because they don't have anti-fog lenses. So getting a high quality pair of ballistic/safety glasses with all these lovely features, was important to me. Also the frame strap is going to be super nice, as I will be able to bend over to pick up trash, pick up my equipment, set the cutting height on mower, all of that, without fear of the glasses coming off my head, excellent!

Screenshot from 2023-09-30 12-32-59.png

List price $117
Applied 10% new member discount
I paid for 2-day Priority, I need them here quickly, hopefully by Monday​

I just ordered these from Safety Glasses USA. I can't believe how difficult it was to find a site that sold these, and used a payment method from the 21st century. You wouldn't believe how many sites, sell high end eyewear, but only accept ancient payment methods like debit/credit card only. All that meant, is that all those other sites, lost out on a sale. Sucks to be them! :devil:

PS: SWCT is ready to join the StarGate team! 😁

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@FarmerTan I am glad you love them. 😍 But imagine saying that last part to a lady, the look on her face must say it all. HAHA! 😂

Welcome to today's episode of, SWCT reviews his tactical goggles!

proxy.php

The top half of the box, actually shows the certification standards, I'd consider that the most important thing here. But I must admit, I do appreciate Wiley X's logo on there, very nice. The rear half of the box, shows all the features of the goggles, as well as whats included in the box.

-----------------------------------------------------​

I understand that these are military grade ballistic rated safety goggles, but I really didn't expect them to come with a battle rated hardened plastic shell storage case. This thing is tough folks, its not going to break easy at all. Because the clasp is so durable, I do have difficulty pressing the clasp button in, in order to open the case.

proxy.php

When I got the case opened, this is what presented itself. Check out the padded foam, inside the top lid, to protect the gear inside. We also see the goggles themselves, as well as a pair of clear goggle lenses, also complete with gasket. And we also see the included 2-straps, cleaning cloth, and manual. The bottom half also have protective foam for the gear, very nice!

IMG_5775.JPG

Is it just me, or do these goggles have a spiderman like appearance? Yeah, spiderman stealth addition, ready for battle! I was initially drawn to these, because they have a sleek look to them, but they also have the wrap around design, and gasket, and I was really into the included strap design, as that is what I wanted. As you can see, the nose bridge is plenty wide to accommodate many wearers.

IMG_5776.JPG
IMG_5779.JPG

As you can see, the frame is quite thick on these, not like those thin frames you buy off the shelf at hardware stores. What really surprised me however, is how flexible the frames are though, and because of it, they are actually rated to be ran over with a car! Of course I didn't test this, I actually value my investment, and I am not a lab testing center, so yeah, I won't go abusing these today folks lol.

IMG_5787.JPG
IMG_5788.JPG

Also, I noticed that the temple frames, have some sort of silicone rubber on the bottom half of them, I think that they are for improving the comfort of the wearer, because as we all know, standard plastic frames, can cause upper ear fatigue, after wearing for long periods. The temple frames also are curved, to follow the curvature of your head. Notice the thick gasket on the lenses, I love that.

IMG_5793.JPG

This is what the goggles look like, when you have the frames in the folded up position. Unlike a cheap pair of safety glasses, where it takes 0-effort to fold the frames, the SG-1's requires some force to fold them in and out, and the movement feels nice and smooth with them, which indicates that these have quality hinges. Personally, I think these are a solid design, I approve!

IMG_5795.JPG

The temple frames can be removed, by pushing in a tiny button, at their connection point. The right side removed fairly easily, but I had difficulty getting the button pushed in enough to remove the left side frame. I'd recommend using a jewelers screwdriver, to make it easier. But suffice to say, it was pretty easy to change these out. My intention is to use these with the strap, thats why I bought them, so I stored the temple frames in the package box, as I don't plan to use them any time soon.

IMG_5801.JPG
proxy.php

The strap itself is very nice, I think it is well designed, not too thin, not too thick. As you can see by the pictures, its defaulted to the size of small heads, like a child. I had to adjust it way open before I could use it. When putting these on, the strap does have a tendency to flip like a backpack strap, so just make sure its straight on your head. Having said that, It feels comfortable on my head, and I even like the Wiley X logo on the strap band.

proxy.php

While it might be logical to most, to use the default smoke lenses while in the sun, believe it or not, in the tech specifications, the clear lenses, actually provide 100% UV protection! And since I am using these in the fall season, where some days are cloudy, I don't want to use the smoke lenses, cause I won't be able to see anything lol. Changing out the lenses is more difficult then changing out the temple frame/strap. According to the instructions, you grip the nose bridge with your left hand fingers, using a pulling up on the bridge motion, while using your right hand, gripping the lens, and doing a pull down motion.

Your supposed to do this until you get 1/4" inch of space between the top of the lens, and the frames, while also doing a twisting out towards the back motion, with the lenses. And when you finally got it, your going to hear a snap sound, once you finally get them away from the frame grabs. I found this process very nerve wracking, and I didn't like it at all. I could have sworn that I broke something, but I did not, everything went fine, and I then tried to repeat the process, to get the clear lenses installed from the back side. Not the most intuitive thing to do in the world, but if your patient, you will eventually get it.

IMG_5819.JPG
IMG_5823.JPG

Since the clear lenses have a very high percentage of UV protection, it might aid me enough in my light sensitivity, so I may not ever need the smoke lenses. If this pans out to be true, I am going to really appreciate that, as I rather not fuss with changing out the lenses ever again. Cleaning the outside of the lenses is pretty easy, but cleaning the inside of the lenses is a little more difficult, as you have a gasket going around getting in the way, but it can be done, again, with patience.

proxy.php

I mowed my lawn a couple days ago, so I got to try these out. The great thing about the strap being thin, is that it didn't interfere with my hearing protection radio muffs from 3M. Usually when I wear standard safety glasses with the temple frames, it causes a loss of proper seal to the muffs, allowing some noise in, which is not ideal, if your trying to protect your hearing. These allow my muffs to make a proper seal, which is a far better design. If you can deal with the strap, I'd strongly recommend using it!

While I was weed eating my front yard, I was truly amazed, at how much better these were protecting my eyes. And as luck would have it, I did catch a rock in my face, just right under the goggles. But I was so thankful that I was wearing them, because if that rock was just 1" higher, it would have hit the goggles, and I'd have protection from that. But what impressed me even more, is how these kept dirt and grass out of my eyes. Last time I used my 3M safety glasses, the foam gasket on them, still always allowed debri into my eyes, then causing the allergy reaction in my eyes, requiring Benedryl after.

I should mention that my goggles were not fogging up at this time. Once I reached the back yard however, my body built up a little more heat in the 70F degree weather, and then my goggles started to fog up a little, because you move slow when your using a weed eater. Having said that however, when I started mowing my yard, my goggles never fogged up, because I am moving at a good pace, which allows good airflow. And then the real test of these goggles, were when I starting using the leaf blower.

When you use a leaf blower to clear off your drive, your kicking up a lot of dirt and grass, as well as road gravel, and your pushing it back into the lawn. Usually, I am always getting debri in my eyes while doing this operation. I bring you great news, because these goggles protected my eyes the entire time, and not once, did I get any debri in my eyes. So I am extremely pleased by these! When I was finished, I took these off, and used the included cleaning cloth, and gave them a quick once over, and then put them back in the case.

Oh, I should mention one more thing I discovered about the case, it has vent holes in it. I think they realized that people would be putting their safety goggles away wet, and the vents on the case, allows airflow inside, to allow your goggles to dry, and not become a bacteria laden petri dish of horrors. But in reality, everybody should clean their gear with some isopropyul alcohol on the frames and gasket after a few uses anyways, so that can really help to alleviate that anyways. But DO NOT use straight alcohol on the lenses, that could eat the coatings off your lenses. Use a safe lens cleaner for that instead.

I got to be honest, I am super happy with these, more then I was expecting to be honest. A truly awesome product, and I am very happy with my purchase, I love them!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Nice choice! I did 4 combat deployments using these instead of the original issued junk. (They eventually got rid of the junk and started giving us these.)

They take a beating and are comfortable wearing for long periods of time (days in a row with lens changes).

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Nice choice! I did 4 combat deployments using these instead of the original issued junk. (They eventually got rid of the junk and started giving us these.)

They take a beating and are comfortable wearing for long periods of time (days in a row with lens changes).

I humbly thank you for your service to this fine country sir, its because of brave folks like you, who fight, to keep us free.

I also appreciate hearing your review, of actually using these in combat! I've heard that some stuff the military issues are built like tanks durable quality, while other stuff is cheap garbage. Maybe the military started seeing smart folks like you using these Wiley's, and they were like, we need to do a better job and supply our soldiers properly, as safety is the #1 priority. Nice!

These Wiley SG-1's definitely seem like they could hold up in battle indeed. You mentioned lens changes, was that simply changing from smoke lens to clear and back, or do you mean, actually the lenses had to be replaced after taking a beating in combat? Again, thank you for providing your personal accounts of how these were for you, I really appreciate it!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone!

I was mowing a couple yards yesterday, and on one of them, when using a weed wacker, a substantial rock size flew up, and hit my left goggle lens. It was a solid hit too, cause it shook me up for a second! The lens was still intact, and I was able to finish the job. When I was done, and doing the general cleaning phase with the included micro fiber cloth, I noticed a scratch on the lens.

No, of course it didn't buff out, just rubbing it clean with the cloth, you'd probably have to use some sort of buffing compound to do that. But here's whats interesting, while out on the job, after the rock hit, I never saw the scratch with my eye, it seemed invisible to me, thats why I didn't notice it at first. So, not only did the Wiley's protect my eye from getting damaged from a rock hit, they are still perfectly usable!

The Wiley's are still keeping dirt and grass out of my eyes as well, which is a major plus. Anyone who has done this sort of work know, once something gets in your eyes, everything stops until that has been corrected. I am happy to report that I myself, am very happy with these safety goggles, they are 100% as advertised. Based on this, my rating stands...

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars.
The Wiley's also get my 🌠 SWCT 🌠 stamp of approval!​

Top Bottom