What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Tried, didn't love it, went back to using hones. I'm sure I could give it another college try and get good results, but meh.

So I have some lapping film left over if anyone wants it. Just PM me your mailing address and it's yours. 3M brand, 12 micron down to 0.3 micron. Most of it is still virgin. USA only please.

Happy honing!

Tried, didn't love it, went back to using hones. I'm sure I could give it another college try and get good results, but meh.

So I have some lapping film left over if anyone wants it. Just PM me your mailing address and it's yours. 3M brand, 12 micron down to 0.3 micron. Most of it is still virgin. USA only please.

Happy honing!

Now I just need to find someone who will do this with JNats!

Great PIF by the way! If I didn't already have two basically full sheets of 12 to 0.3 sitting in a drawer, you would be getting a PM right now :).

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A piece of glass would be a better option.

+1

Brooksie you really need a bigger and slicker surface. Heavy glass 12" x 3" or bigger. Dont limit your real estate and make sure it is slick enough for a good vaccuum between plate and film. I use a polished marble edge tile. If you want to try film, dont ignore its potential advantages and dont cripple it or you will only be disappointed.

I have two marble edging tiles, 12 X 4 inches, both polished and neither one is quite flat. I would also recommend a piece of glass; I had a local glass shop cut two pieces of 14 X 4 X 1/4" glass and polish the edges for $14- both are quite flat. Using clear glass it is also easy to see when squeegeeing down a piece of film if there are any bubbles or debris under it before finding them with the edge of a razor.

A person could even go nuts and buy 4 or 5 pieces of glass, squeegee different pieces of film to each one and not have to swap film sheets while honing.

And for the very best results, you have to name your pieces of glass and each piece of film used. For example, I only use lapping film named "Terwilliger" on the glass named "Kawasaki". The unusual naming brings out strange and desirable but difficult to quantify honing qualities of the apparatus....

Brian

+1

Brooksie you really need a bigger and slicker surface. Heavy glass 12" x 3" or bigger. Dont limit your real estate and make sure it is slick enough for a good vaccuum between plate and film. I use a polished marble edge tile. If you want to try film, dont ignore its potential advantages and dont cripple it or you will only be disappointed.

I have two marble edging tiles, 12 X 4 inches, both polished and neither one is quite flat. I would also recommend a piece of glass; I had a local glass shop cut two pieces of 14 X 4 X 1/4" glass and polish the edges for $14- both are quite flat. Using clear glass it is also easy to see when squeegeeing down a piece of film if there are any bubbles or debris under it before finding them with the edge of a razor.

A person could even go nuts and buy 4 or 5 pieces of glass, squeegee different pieces of film to each one and not have to swap film sheets while honing.

And for the very best results, you have to name your pieces of glass and each piece of film used. For example, I only use lapping film named "Terwilliger" on the glass named "Kawasaki". The unusual naming brings out strange and desirable but difficult to quantify honing qualities of the apparatus....

Brian

Since all of the exotic Japanese names have been used up, I suggest we create new, mysterious terminology for films.

I imagine lapping films are produced in some foul, smoke belching industrial complex in New Jersey. So, maybe something like this:

I was honing on my Hoboken (=3um film) film, when all of a sudden my edge took the exit (varied from normal) off the Turnpike (referring to progressing nicely through the different grits).

I broke out the Trenton (squeegee) and made sure The Boardwalk (precision granite plate, marble tile, piece of glass whatever used for lapping film base) was clean of hobos (debris).

It's a start....

Film works great but hones are much faster. I can go through 5 hones much faster than 3 and 1 um film. Ive timed myself. Plus hones dont tear or scratch like film. Its great if your doing maintenance on a blade or 2 but if you hone often or alot its not worth it.

Film works great but hones are much faster. I can go through 5 hones much faster than 3 and 1 um film. Ive timed myself. Plus hones dont tear or scratch like film. Its great if your doing maintenance on a blade or 2 but if you hone often or alot its not worth it.

Fhew! Luckily I have only honed a "blade or two", otherwise I wouldn't have realized how slow and inefficient films are! (Note: heavy sarcasm is implied here)
:001_cool:

I've been thinking of pulling out my Snookie and giving it another go. I still have tons of guidos in the drawer, I just have to make sure I spray it all down with hairgel and keep out the asbestos.

I wasnt implying that you dont hone alot , I was saying for me the speed is there with the hones, not the film.Everybody should at least try it. I did and I like my hones. Besides hones at least have names. Film your only a number. Its more personal LOL.

Your original post was saying that film is only useful for small scale honing. Since I have honed many hundreds of razors (99.99% of them on film), I was simply providing a more long term experience for the sake of those browsing this thread.

Plus, I like sarcasm.

I don't think that is gonna' fly. We need something exotic, confusing and not really applicable or pronounceable in English- preferably something that has such a loose, metaphoric meaning that there is no clear understanding. I suggest that film may indeed be from ancient India and the film itself and all accouterments be named in Sanskrit. We can make up cool meanings for the various films that don't really translate and make no sense but reflect the particular properties the film gives to the blade- 'Soulful green water' and 'Cloud fretted aura' come to mind.

Last night I tried to use सत्यमेव जयते and found I just could not get the edge to the जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी state of being. I got a perfectly fine shave but it was not quite as पञ्चचित as I am used to. So today I float with the moths and bend like the caterpillar but hope for better results tomorrow when I plan on rubbing my Aṣṭādhyāyī with some
महाप्राण
before honing again. And use later of course, always later....

Brian

Since all of the exotic Japanese names have been used up, I suggest we create new, mysterious terminology for films.

I imagine lapping films are produced in some foul, smoke belching industrial complex in New Jersey. So, maybe something like this:

I was honing on my Hoboken (=3um film) film, when all of a sudden my edge took the exit (varied from normal) off the Turnpike (referring to progressing nicely through the different grits).

I broke out the Trenton (squeegee) and made sure The Boardwalk (precision granite plate, marble tile, piece of glass whatever used for lapping film base) was clean of hobos (debris).

It's a start....

I've been thinking of pulling out my Snookie and giving it another go. I still have tons of guidos in the drawer, I just have to make sure I spray it all down with hairgel and keep out the asbestos.

Jersey Shore meets B&B:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that film looses its aggressiveness very quickly. I suspect that using stones IS faster than used film because the stone always has a fresh cutting surface to cut with. And of course all slurries are made of new abrasive particles, at least when they are first made and before they begin to break down. I think a lot of us use film too long because it still cuts; using a new piece of film is almost a shock because it cuts so fast compared with the last one. It is not necessary but I believe film would work much, much better if we all used a fresh piece for each honing session or even each razor. The cost would go up but so would the honing speed and the ability to repeat the same results every time.

Brian

I don't think that is gonna' fly. We need something exotic, confusing and not really applicable or pronounceable in English- preferably something that has such a loose, metaphoric meaning that there is no clear understanding. I suggest that film may indeed be from ancient India and the film itself and all accouterments be named in Sanskrit. We can make up cool meanings for the various films that don't really translate and make no sense but reflect the particular properties the film gives to the blade- 'Soulful green water' and 'Cloud fretted aura' come to mind.

Last night I tried to use सत्यमेव जयते and found I just could not get the edge to theजननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी state of being. I got a perfectly fine shave but it was not quite asपञ्चचित as I am used to. So today I float with the moths and bend like the caterpillar but hope for better results tomorrow when I plan on rubbing my Aṣṭādhyāyī with some
महाप्राण
before honing again. And use later of course, always later....

Brian

OK now we're getting somewhere!

The only thing missing is the astronomical price tag which bestows especial properties to a particular film, even though it is of the exact same grit as another...

Keep brainstorming!

Well you can still get reasonably priced film, er, I mean
proxy.php
, as long as you don't want
proxy.php
that has been dipped in the Ganges or approved by the 4th Dali Lama. And of course the ones that glow when they get near each other like the ones Indiana Jones had are really, really expensive but the discriminating razor honer will notice the distinct increase in पञ्चचितजयते, and don't we really all want that?

But wait!- if you buy right now, we'll double your order and throw in a genuine Shaman honing drum!

Brian

OK now we're getting somewhere!

The only thing missing is the astronomical price tag which bestows especial properties to a particular film, even though it is of the exact same grit as another...

Keep brainstorming!

Top Bottom