What's new

I need some gloves for the 10s and 20s Fahrenheit

Just like the title says---I need some gloves for the 10s and 20s. What I've already got isn't good enough for that low. I need to them for walking the dog for about 1 1/2 hours at a stretch. I've preferred knit synthetics so far for their comfort, looks, and compactness ,but it seems that wool might be the way to go. Share your recommendations please, but let's keep it budget friendly as it is just walking the dog. Northeast Georgia, so it doesn't get artic here.

Thanks

Last edited:
If it was me, given the timeframe you're talking about being in the elements, I'd get a pair of "Choppers." That may be a regional term, but anyway: leather (usually), lined mittens-- big enough to wear over a pair of lighter gloves, and you can pull one or both off easily when you need more dexterity. But my hands are perpetually cold, so that may be overkill for you.

I have a pair of down filled mittens that I use to walk the dog. They keep my hands warm better than any gloves you can buy. Awhile back I searched the Internet for good warm gloves, and I found an article about what they picked as the 10 warmest gloves they could fine. I ordered a pair of one of their choices. After walking around the block, (only 0.8 miles) my hands were frozen.
With my mittens they stay warm the whole time. You need mittens, gloves just don't cut it.

I suggest considering these Hestra wool-blend gloves:

Haven't worn mine this year yet, but I remember them being fairly toasty last winter. They are knit, but also lined and have Thinsulate insulation. From memory, these do a much better job of blocking wind than typical knit gloves but are a bit bulkier. Think I bought my pair from Todd Snyder, but I have seen them on a few different US-based sites.

I also have a pair of these wool gloves from Barbour:

These are very nicely made, but are not as warm as the Hestra style above.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Another vote for chopper mittens! Leather so they're windproof, lined with fuzzy fleece so they're warm. Having all your fingers in one bag helps keep them warm. I have a pair I've worn every winter for the last 25 years.

Walking the dog, though, or anything that requires some degree of digital dexterity, and the mittens are a bit of a challenge. In that case I usually wear a good pair of insulated leather work gloves. Buy them at the farm store -- work gloves are cheaper and more durable than most of the "winter" gloves I see in department stores. I buy them loose enough that I can get them on wet hands. Not much of a challenge as I have very long fingers but not wide hands, so if the fingers fit the rest of the glove is fine.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
That's why I've shied away from mittens. I have to hold a leash, bag/carry poop, and I carry a stout walking stick.

I checked the pair of gloves I'm using at the moment. Watson brand, Thinsulate(tm) insulated leather work gloves. They are not super warm, which is to say that I get cold fingers in them if it's down close to 0F/-18C. Because they're work gloves they need a little energy input from working hands. :) I wear them lately on my daily walks at around 30F and they're fine. Once I get my lazy old carcass moving things warm up.

O.H.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That's why I've shied away from mittens. I have to hold a leash, bag/carry poop, and I carry a stout walking stick.
I suspect the guys recommending mittens may have overlooked your temperature range.

Lined gloves should work fine... you just need to dress well for the temperature overall. Dress in layers and keep the core and arms well looked after ... and don't forget the importance of a good, warm hat.

My sister recently bought a pair of Eddie Bauer down mittens that she says are very warm. Yesterday, I stopped at the local outlet mall on the way home from the office and decided visit the Eddie Bauer outlet to look and see what gloves they had. Everything was 60% off, and I bought a pair of these: https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/71403424/men's-boundary-pass-down-gloves?sp=1&color=Black&size=&sizeType=

The back of the hand is down with a thick fleece-like liner, while the palms have polyester insulation and more of a flannel for insulation. It was about 30 degrees here today, and they were very warm and good at blocking wind. Best part is they are very soft and flexible. Also quite comfortable to wear. So far, very happy with them for about $22 on sale.

If you are holding a leash and your dog pulls at all, make sure your gloves are leather palmed ones or they will tear and rip.

I use Swany goose down (from Costco a few years ago). They were about $50 Canadian at the time and are awesome. Similar to this model. Good to -35c (-22f) easy.

I also have a few pairs of Winnipeg made (local) all leather Garbage Mitts. They will be the last gloves you ever need to buy.

I walk/trail run our dog up to -20c or so, after that it's not safe for her (or me). My go-to system, to give her a bit more range in the forest (on leash) and keep my hands free is a Riggers Belt and rock climbing belay/rope setup.

Blackhawk CQB/Rigger's Belt Amazon.ca - https://a.co/d/4IBAnyR

There are various belay systems and carabiner setups, you can google that if you want. I have old rock climbing gear, so reused some of that. But it's all available on Amazon at reasonable prices.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I started learning the carpentry trade in Montana in 1974.... That winter was an experience.... We didn't go to work unless it was at least -10F in the mornings. I could never keep my hands warm because I needed gloves that could pick up 8 and 16 penny nails, let alone finish nails for trim. We actually used hammers in those days. <eg>

Just like the title says---I need some gloves for the 10s and 20s. What I've already got isn't good enough for that low. I need to them for walking the dog for about 1 1/2 hours at a stretch. I've preferred knit synthetics so far for their comfort, looks, and compactness ,but it seems that wool might be the way to go. Share your recommendations please, but let's keep it budget friendly as it is just walking the dog. Northeast Georgia, so it doesn't get artic here.

Thanks
Military surplus might well be the way to go. They have high specs and are pretty much bombproof. A lot of options out there from Mil-Surp dealers at excellent prices. Often the military contract top grade manufacturers for their requirements. Mrs. Ladd and I use a lot of surplus gear in camping and it never lets us down.

Here is just one example. I've picked a US based supplier. Hopefully it may help in your choice. They have a lot of other models at great price points.

Cold Weather Flyers Gloves - https://www.armysurplusworld.com/pilots-intermediate-cold-weather-gloves

Obviously there are hundreds of other US based surplus sites and it may be very rewarding to check those out too. There is bound to be a model/type to suit your needs.

Last edited:
A good hat will go a long way toward keeping hands warm.

I used Mountain Hardwear fleece gloves for many years of dog walking. Form fitting enabling dexterity for leash clipping, poop gathering, collar restraint, etc. These are likely the current generation of gloves that I had.

These days I wear cashmere lined leather gloves sans dog walking. Same pair for 20 odd years.

Thanks
You might want to look at reflective glove liners. They reflect the heat from your hand back, and they don't take up much room.
I have that tech in my ski jacket, and the more I move, the more heat gets reflected back.
The other possibility is the gloves you have are restricting blood flow. My wife has that problem. She prefers mittens, and I like gloves.

Top Bottom