What's new

Check-In: Starting over with new gear.

Have not introduced myself since I created this account 5 years ago, let's change that. I'm an 44 year old from Stockholm, Sweden. Started wet shaving around 15 years ago. More of a practical shaver that wants good hardware and software to elevate the experience to something enjoyable and not just another chore. Not a collector but like to have a selection of blades and software to mix things up.

A couple of months ago i started shaving my head since the bald spot started showing regardless of hairstyle. So, as a christmas gift to myself; I ordered a 921 BYOR (SS, H-plate, scalloped guard, stonewashed) from Yates Precision and a second hand RazoRock Hawk V3 in very good condition. The 921 is replacing my Gillette Rocket & Slim. The Hawk is for head shaving primarily. Looking for a Schick Type G in the future as a travel razor. They work well for both head & face and are light, compact, cheap and cleans more easily than my current PAL Injecto-Matic Deluxe.

Have two synthetic brushes (Yaqi & Fine Stout) and a cheap horse hair brush made by Semogue i found in a Spanish supermarket. Planning to upgrade the horse hair brush to a Zenith 507N XS. Waiting for a custom badger brush in the mail.

As for soaps i've mostly used Haslinger Schafmilch in the past. Since they transitioned away from tallow and my old stocks are running low I bought some well regarded artisan soaps to try out. Sterling - Sandpiper, Barrister and Mann - Bay Rum, Ariana & Evans - Peach & Cognac.

Hope to share my journey, insights & learn more.

Best regards
Tallkotte

Welcome @tallkotte ! Gott nytt år !

I’m similar to you in that I’ve been reading these for a while, but am only now active on forums and wet shaving regularly.

There are MANY choices. Merkur 34c is a GREAT closed comb razor that is very forgiving of mistakes and poor technique until you get better (my experience). Pair it with even a Nader or Feather or Astra SP (all verrrrry sharp), and you’ll still be saved from (mostly) any nicks.

Cheers.

Being a Swede you should really try to get a Swedish Matador deluxe. It is a fantastic Swedish razor and I got my first one this last year when I was home visiting. Supposedly also the Swing razors are great as well. I do not own one of those though.

Welcome to B&B!! Enjoy your stay!

Supposedly also the Swing razors are great as well. I do not own one of those though.
Let me just get that out of the way: a Swing as an excellent razor! Perhaps even better than the Matador - provided you like a little more blade feel. I think the blade gap is close to 1.0 with positive blade exposure.

And both the Matador and Swing cover the blade tabs fully!!

Enjoy!

Guido

Last edited:
Top Bottom