What's new

Starting over with new gear

PXL_20240201_132822841.jpg

Razor: Yates 921-H
Blade: Feather
Brush: Zenith 506N XS
Soap: A&E - Cathedral (Ultima)
Pre: PAA Cube 2.0 (Unscented)

Tried a Feather blade in the 921-H. More blade feel and rough, not comfortable. Next up is old trusty Polsilver. The Cathedral soap was not what I expected. Complex, sweet, fruit, dark. Hard to pick out separate notes. Well blended and comes together well. The Ultima base is softer & easier to lather than Kaizen with my horse hair brush. Very creamy and slick.

PXL_20240202_140129796.jpg
Razor: Yates 921-H
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Brush: Zenith 506N XS
Soap: B&M - Bay Rum
Pre: PAA Cube 2.0 (Unscented)
Post: Nivea Sensitive Pro After Shave Balm & Nivea sensitive Pro Face Cream

Polsilver this time. Smoother shave with less skin irritation. Very much like the Wizamet.

Enjoying the Captain's Choice copper bowl. Being honest the bowl is a bit pricey for what it is. I like the aesthetics just as much as the functionality though. As with natural hair brushes the materials change with use. With age it's properties and looks evolves into something better in a very personal way.

Have been using Niveas Sensitive Pro-line for a bit. Better than their old sensitive products in my humble opinion. A little goes a long way. Does not feel sticky and leaves the skin soft and relaxed. Have some Thayer's Witch Hazel waiting for me at the post office. Never tried it before.

PXL_20240201_101305694.jpgPXL_20240203_094116726.jpgPXL_20240203_094420871.jpg

Have had these for many years. Want to restore at least a couple of them. Have some tools that may or may not be of use. Also got some leather for making strops. Looking at videos of people doing restorations. Maybe buy a couple of Shapton glass stones.

Last edited:
Oh I did not know you were a straight razor guy. Myself I have not had the nerve to try one which is probably good for my ADs sake. Looks like your have the tools to fix them up. 👍
I'm not. Want to at least give straight razors a try. And I enjoy the process of restoring. Even if its not for me the tools and knowledge acquired in the process can be put to good use elsewhere, like old slip joints. That's my excuse for spending the money any way. 😅

Two lazy and rushed head shaves resulting in irritation and razor bumps. Followed by two slow and methodical dome shaves trying different techniques and methods. Shaving the head is much harder than the face. The swirl on top of the head requires strokes in all directions. The side of the head has a lot of different types of hair from fine to very coarse. On some areas you can do long strokes others requires short buffing strokes. All while having to do yoga trying to get the razor where it needs to be. The RR Hawk V3 is a tad too heavy to easily manipulate with the fingertips.

Today I did a head shave with the 921-H for a change. Effective, close and no irritation. Nicked a mole and opened a scab. Need to be more mindful when switching razors. The smooth shave have a tendency to lull me into a false sense of mildness.

Contemplating selling the Hawk V3, OC-plate & Schick P30 blades. With that money I could get the M-plate and stainless stand from Yates with some money over to spend on a QED knot or Zenith badger brush. The M-plate seems like a good choice for daily shaves and the stand would clean up clutter and look really nice in the bathroom cabinet.

The soft horse hair brush from Zenith has become my favorite. I don't recommend it if you don't like floppy knots. In that case get the normal or mixed horse hair from Zenith. The two band badger is a bit too stiff for my taste. Looking to replace the knot with an manchurian from QED or buy one of Zenith's badger brushes.

Two more shaves. Both times a full scalp & face shave.

First up, Hawk v3. Still getting razor burn no matter how light i go. Getting the correct angle is tricky. There is a span wherein the angle feels right but is not giving a good shave.
Second shave, 921-H. More efficient and no burn at all. A slight tingle applying witch hazel. Angling comes naturally and the feedback is clear.

So, I sold the Hawk v3. Shipped it out today. Bought a Zenith 507BC MB brush with the money.

Have begun to sell of the artist club-blades, two band badger brush and a few other things. When the money from that comes in I'm planning to get the M base plate for my 921 and if money allows a Yates razor stand. The H plate is good when shaving every 2-4 days. Hoping the M plate will allow me to daily shave when needed without getting problems.

PXL_20240301_124343074.jpg
PXL_20240301_123540055.jpg
Razor: 921-H
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Zenith 507BC/ORO MB (Manchurian)
Soap: Tabac (New formula)
Pre: PAA Cube 2.0 (Uncented)
Post: Thayers Witch Hazel Toner, Nivea Sensitive Pro Face Cream
Notes: Soaked the brush for 5 minutes and cleaned it with Arko for another 5 minutes. Rinsed thoroughly with warm water. Dome & face shave with Tabac. Have four days of growth. Plenty of backbone for loading directly of the hard soap and lathering on the skin. Good lather. Brush bloomed nicely. Looking forward breaking it in.

Ordered an M-plate for the Yates 921 razor. And some soaps and aftershave milk from Areffa to try out. No Yates razor stand as it is sold out everywhere.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 151752.png

New rule to limit purchases. I am only allowed to own 3 razors and 5 brushes. As many soaps and blades as I want, within budget.

PXL_20240304_200523995.jpg

Razor: 921-H
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Semogue SOC Taj Boar
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Pre: PAA Cube 2.0 (Uncented)

PXL_20240304_165317347.jpgPXL_20240304_181602189.jpgPXL_20240304_181647074.jpg
Soaked the brush for 20 minutes and cleaned with Arko before first use. Starting to break in already.

Discoverer might just be the best soap I have ever tried. Although my current Mike’s Natural Barbershop is competing for spot.

Enjoy!

Guido
Good to hear. Looking forward trying it even more now! Had totally forgot about Mike's Natural soaps. Remember they got very good reviews years ago on YouTube by the old timers. Adding it to my list to try out, thank you.

Good rule! I would fail miserably if I were to implement that rule. I do have a rule of no blades until the last batch is opened and no soaps until at least down to 3-4 soaps. Or even 2 soaps.
It's hard when there is so much gear and software to try out. In regards to the varying supply of different soaps and precision machinery we are living through a golden age of wet shaving. Will try to stay true to this rule. But knowing myself I will probably bend it in certain circumstances.

Good rule! I would fail miserably if I were to implement that rule. I do have a rule of no blades until the last batch is opened and no soaps until at least down to 3-4 soaps. Or even 2 soaps.
I think combining @Guido75 and @tallkotte's rules is the winner though.
From @Guido75 no limit on the number of razors
From @tallkotte no limit on blades nor soaps as long as it is within budget.
I think I can follow those.:devil:

I think combining @Guido75 and @tallkotte's rules is the winner though.
From @Guido75 no limit on the number of razors
From @tallkotte no limit on blades nor soaps as long as it is within budget.
I think I can follow those.:devil:
Where is the stretch in that? You make your own soaps so that doesn’t count! :lol1:

I did find by the way that there is a certain limit to the amount of razors my mine can handle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom