What's new

Calling hunters and long range shooters, I need a new scope

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I've been hunting with a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 for the past 10ish years. It's been an "ok" scope but with Nikon no longer supporting their rifle scopes and the fact that I've never really liked the BDC reticle, I'm looking for a new scope. I'd like a FFP variable power with at least a 42 objective lens. Most shots taken will be at 100yds or less with a few out to 200yds. I would like to be able to take it to a 600+yd range just for occasional fun. Budget is $6-700 (if I settle for a SFP) but if needed can be stretched a little for a good FFP scope. Cartridge is 30-06 out of e Rem. 700. I'm not in a huge hurry right now, I'm going to hunt with what I have this year and start looking after this season. Maybe I can get a good Black Friday deal. Any suggestions on brands or specific scopes to look at would be appreciated. I haven't researched scopes since I bought the Monarch and there's so many more companies now I don't know where to start.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

SFP, so a little easier on the wallet.

Edge of my lane.

Leupold
SWFA
Vortex

All have enthusiastic supporters, offer excellent lifetime warranties and the vast majority of Leupold scopes are made in the USA.

Burris has always been great for me. In the under $1000 category, I don’t think there are many better. About the same quality as Vortex.

100 to 200 yards, look into SWFA. If you are a +/- 100 yards hunter, google SWFA 6x scope. They are well in your price range, do little research they have a cult like following.
I shot a SWFA FFP SS 3-15 for years, it is an excellent scope. They do a really good Black Friday sale every year.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thanks folks, keep the suggestions coming.

FFP, so a little pricey, but perhaps a Black Friday sale?
I'm really liking the looks of this. I've pretty much decided of a FFP, I'm tired of trying to figure out the different holdovers or BDC's in different magnifications. I remember Vortex from 10yrs ago but it seems like they didn't have the following they do now.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I shot a SWFA FFP SS 3-15 for years, it is an excellent scope. They do a really good Black Friday sale every year.
All the SWFA scopes I'm interested in from them are all in Mil, I'd rather have something in MOA just so I don't have to learn anything new. :001_smile

Download the Ballistic app if you have an iPhone and buy yourself a chronograph. I shoot at my house to 500 yards and I do use BDC reticles on my Vortex and Burris scopes. You can very easily dial those things in and take all the guess work out.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Download the Ballistic app if you have an iPhone and buy yourself a chronograph. I shoot at my house to 500 yards and I do use BDC reticles on my Vortex and Burris scopes. You can very easily dial those things in and take all the guess work out.
Yeah I've got all that. The problem I have is with the Nikon BDC since it's a SFP scope every time you change the magnification the BDC ranges change. Nikon's BDC is only accurate if you zero the gun in at 16x. With the FOV at 16x I wouldn't be able to find the deer at 100yds. Zeroed at 16x the crosshair is 100yds and the circle under it is 204yds, but if I dial it down to 8x the crosshair is zeroed at 100yds and the 1st circle under it is 281yds. I understand how it all works but I have 2 choices, print out dope cards for all the different combinations of magnification and distance or start over with a different set up that may not be a PITA to use while hunting. What Vortex and Burris scopes do you use? I wish I had a spot to shoot out to 500yds at my place.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I prefer MOA as well. The click adjustments are slightly smaller than mrad. If you are mostly shooting moderate ranges, you can avoid a lot of math by using a "point blank range" zero, if that works for you, where you can shoot out to moderate ranges with no hold over, so if you accept an 8 inch kill zone (or whatever size you chose) you will not be more than 4 in. high or low out to a certain distance. JBM ballistics will generate that info if you know your actual muzzle velocity. You can then use your holdovers for distances outside of the point blank range.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
IMG_2728.jpeg
I really like this Vortex reticle. I would rather know my holdover in inches than a BDC that just says “hold it here” for 200yds.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
BDCs are only approximate anyways. You need to know your cartridge's actual ballistics from your gun.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
BDCs are only approximate anyways. You need to know your cartridge's actual ballistics from your gun.
This is the one rifle that I don’t have a pet load worked up for. Another reason I’m thinking about a new scope so that I can work up a load to use with this rifle/scope combination.

@whiskey
I hunt in the woods mostly and under 150. 90% of the time i don’t worry about BDC. I mostly hunt using 4 or 5x. i do run the Calculations on all my guns at max and zero those BDC, if I am going to need it it will be outside of 200 yard and at that point I just go to max, not worried about FOV at that point.

I have never been disappointed with a Leupold. I try to buy used when I can. I have also never been disappointed when trying to sell a Leupold, either. I have always gotten my money back. If I have had the scope a long time, I usually make a few bucks on them.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
@whiskey
I hunt in the woods mostly and under 150. 90% of the time i don’t worry about BDC. I mostly hunt using 4 or 5x. i do run the Calculations on all my guns at max and zero those BDC, if I am going to need it it will be outside of 200 yard and at that point I just go to max, not worried about FOV at that point.
Are the scopes you’re using ffp or sfp?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have never been disappointed with a Leupold. I try to buy used when I can. I have also never been disappointed when trying to sell a Leupold, either. I have always gotten my money back. If I have had the scope a long time, I usually make a few bucks on them.
I’ve got a REM 700 in .243 that was my grandfathers scoped with a Leupold. That rifle is probably close to 40yrs old and the scope is still rocking right along. They’re good scopes for sure.

Top Bottom