What's new

Recommendations for Rimfire Target Scope

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What are your recommendations for a .22 LR precision target scope. I probably won't be engaging in true benchrest or PRS competition, just informal 100 yd + target practice. My Ruger 10/22 with heavy Kidd barrel and Boyds laminated target stock is a heavy rig that I only shoot from the bench, I won't be taking it to the woods to hunt small game. So I don't want your standard rimfire rifle scope. Currently I'm using a Leupold Mk AR scope 6-18x with a one inch tube. It is only marginally adequate. I'd prefer a top magnification of at least 24x, a 30 mm tube and something more precise than a simple duplex reticle. Illuminated reticle is not really needed as I probably won't use in low light situations. Not looking for top dollar glass, something around $500 +/- perhaps?

I bought a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 a few years ago. I really like it on my 10/22 TD. I would probably go with higher X and objective if I was strictly bench shooting.👍

I shoot organized rimfire benchrest with at least 30 different guys who probably have a collective pool of over 150 guns for just benchrest. The top three picks are Weaver T36, Leupold 36x and Sightron S-II 36x. The Weaver and Leupold are no longer made, so you have to shop the used market. The Sightron is a quality scope made in Japan with a lifetime warranty. Warranty service is usually quick and pain-free. Nine have 30mm tubes, though.

We have a few guys that use Mueller brand. They offer a 1" tube and high magnification. They seem to work fine. They have a lifetime warranty. One of our regular sporter class shooters has a Mueller 40x on a CZ 457 Varmint. He seems to like it.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Based on your requirements I would seriously look at the Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50. Doesn't have the christmas tree reticle, is FFP, has a Vortex level warranty, and has been hell for stout! I have dropped mine many a time in the woods with no ill effects! Only downside would be no illumination if you care.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks @ColtRevolver, while I will mostly be shooting 100 yds, I'd like something a little more versatile with a reticle that's useful for various ranges and more adjustment than a 1 inch tube would provide, I think.

I am the opposite. I don't want a "busy" reticle with a lot of markings covering my bull since I primarily shoot benchrest. I felt the same way when I was shooting rimfire silhouettes on the regular. I zeroed at 50 and learn the holdovers by look instead of a reference mark.

One of my vintage BR guns has a Unertl with a 3/4" tube and a 1 1/2" objective. The eye piece hole is quite tiny. The glass is where the difference is. That scope is about 75 years old and offers a clearer picture than many modern scopes.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@nortac... I like the tall elevation turrent, think the zero stop is easier to work with, and it's $120.00 cheaper.
Currently, the Vortex Venom linked above is available at OP and Europtic for $499, the Athlon Midas TAC line runs from slightly less to $100 more, depending on which version, and is largely a back order proposition from Europtic. No matter, I won't be ready to buy anytime soon, just at the research stage.

I'm a bit conflicted on the reticle. Ideally, something less busy than full "Christmas tree", but more useful than plain target dot would be preferred, but most of the scopes I like have some version of the "Christmas tree". I certainly want a variable power scope. I may be deluding myself, but I would like to be capable of using it for more than just pure benchrest.

nikonNUT

@nortac I think the Athlon APLR4 FFP MOA reticle might scratch that itch. 🤷‍♂️ Not super busy...

APLR4.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@nikonNUT , at what point (distance) would one need a 20 MOA rail if your scope has about 85 MOA of adjustment for .22 LR? I doubt that I will ever have the chance to shoot more than 200-250 yds with the .22LR.

nikonNUT

@nikonNUT , which scope do you have on your Voodoo rig?
I have a Nightforce ATAC-R 7-35x56 FFP Mil-XT on one and a ZCO 527 on the other, sir. Both ride on 40 MOA rails so I have about 100 MOA of dial give or take plus 25 MOA of hold over.
@nikonNUT , at what point (distance) would one need a 20 MOA rail if your scope has about 85 MOA of adjustment for .22 LR? I doubt that I will ever have the chance to shoot more than 200-250 yds with the .22LR.
So here is the kicker... You only have half of that. 42.5 above center and 42.5 below center (wasted dial) with a 0 MOA rail. A 20 MOA rail will get you to 62.5-ish. Anyways all rifles will vary but my Vudoos (with a 50 yard zero) need 7.25-ish MOA at 100 yards and 25.25-ish MOA at 200 so dial needed is exponential. After that those little bullets start dropping like a ROCK! At 400 yards I need 24.2 mRad aka 84 MOA to get anywhere near the target. I shot a troop line in a comp once that had a target at 250 and I think my dial was right at 12.5 mRad or 44 MOA. I'll check my dope card this evening and verify for you!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have a Nightforce ATAC-R 7-35x56 FFP Mil-XT on one and a ZCO 527 on the other, sir. Both ride on 40 MOA rails so I have about 100 MOA of dial give or take plus 25 MOA of hold over.

So here is the kicker... You only have half of that. 42.5 above center and 42.5 below center (wasted dial) with a 0 MOA rail. A 20 MOA rail will get you to 62.5-ish. Anyways all rifles will vary but my Vudoos (with a 50 yard zero) need 7.25-ish MOA at 100 yards and 25.25-ish MOA at 200 so dial needed is exponential. After that those little bullets start dropping like a ROCK! At 400 yards I need 24.2 mRad aka 84 MOA to get anywhere near the target. I shot a troop line in a comp once that had a target at 250 and I think my dial was right at 12.5 mRad or 44 MOA. I'll check my dope card this evening and verify for you!

Great post! I learned a lot! :)

nikonNUT

Great post! I learned a lot! :)
Thank you, Rob! @nortac... One thing I failed to mention, sir. Another plus of a canted rail is it to keep your reticle as close as possible to the optical center of the scope. Let's say you are shooting at 250 yards with a 0 MOA rail. This is all hypothetical but "if" you needed, say 40 MOA, of dial to hit the target and the erector maxes out at 42.5 you are so high in the glass that you will start seeing aberrations that will effect your sight picture. I'm feeling like I need to load up the .22s and have a boys weekend with the plinkers! We could do some nighttime stuff to! @nortac and @OkieStubble Y'all in?

Last edited:

nikonNUT

@nortac I fired up the Kestrel to get a range card of sorts for you. It's in mRad so I will translate for you! :lol:

50 yards... 0.0 mRad/0.0 MOA
100 yards... 1.84mRad/6.3 MOA
150 yards... 4.32mRad/14.9 MOA
200 yards... 7.12mRad/24.5 MOA
250 yards... 10.22mRad/35.1 MOA
282 yards... 12.35mRad/42.5 MOA you are out of dial with a 0MOA rail. This is still one heck a shot with a .22!
300 yards... 13.61mRad/46.8 MOA
350 yards... 17.31mRad/59.5 MOA
362 yards... 18.23mRad/62.6 MOA you are out of dial with a 20MOA rail. This is pushing limits.
400 yards... 21.34mRad/73.4 MOA Furthest I have hit steel with a .22!
450 yards... 25.74mRad/88.50 MOA
480 yards... 28.56mRad/98.2 MOA I am out of dial with a 40 MOA rail
500 yards... 30.51mRad/104.9 MOA Requires hold over of 2mRad or 6.9 MOA
538 yards... 34.45mRad/118.4 MOA That's all she's got captain! The includes using 6mRad of hold over in my reticle.

Some of these ranges are extreme but you see how bad the ballistics are on a .22. That said... Hearing the "DOINK!" of lead on steel at 400 will bring a smile to ones face. Mainly beacuse it take the bullet better than a second to get there (1200/1050=1.14 seconds) and better than a second for the sound to get back (1200/1105-ish based in DA=1.09 seconds). Total time from bang to "DOINK!" is 2.2288 seconds. It's a bit sureal watching for the impact, seeing the impact, and a second later hearing the impact.

nikonNUT

@nikonNUT , thanks for the 'splainin! Some I knew, some I needed reminding/clarification! If/when I upgrade my scope, I'll prolly incorporate a 20 MOA rail.
Sounds like a plan! I run 20 MOA minimum on all my rimfire rifles. Some by choice (Vudoo's at 40 MOA and maybe 60 in the future and CZ457 at 20MOA) and others because it was already incorportated (Tac-Sol TSS has a 20MOA rail machined into the reciever).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@nikonNUT , why do you have a 50 yd zero rather than 100yd zero? Are there that many 50 yd targets in the competitions you shoot? It seems that "hold under" would be quick enough with the right reticle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom