What's new

My FIVE lather methods, and WHEN to use them

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
After spending a fair bit of time and money accumulating exploring different brushes last year, I soon discovered that they all needed different approaches to yield the best results. As most lather tutorials don't seem to factor in the individual brushes characteristics, I decided to share a brief summary of not just my methods, but also which brushes they work with, and which they don't.

Method 1: Conventional Face Lathering

I start with a damp brush. Most of the water having been shaken out before loading. I load soap off the puck, or cream from a bowl, and paint it on to the face while still of quite a pasty consistency. I then gradually add water, working it in as I go. Whether I pain or swirl depends on the brush, and stubble length. What I personally aim for, is as wet as possible, with minimal air content, and I keep adding water until it's almost starting to run

Works great with moderate to high backbone brushes, with good elasticity and springback.

Works poorly with lower backbone brushes, as the thick lather clogs the core, matts up the hairs, and inhibits proper bristle action. Instant lather mop.

Method 2: Conventional Bowl Lathering

Pretty much the same start point (loading with a damp brush), but the lather is gradually hydrated in a bowl, rather than on the face. Again, water is added gradually, to creep up on the correct hydration level, before taking the lather to the face.

Works great on my mixed hair brushes. The more sluggish boar hair not incorporating too much air

Works OK with some of my lower backbone brushes, so long as I can keep the core of the knot free of dense lather, so it doesn't gum up.

Works abysmally (for me) with stiffer badger brushes and synthetics. Far too much air incorporated, killing sickness, and turning the lather to a near meringue consistency.

Method 3: Face Applied Soap/Cream

Whether this is from rubbing a shave stick or hard puck on a wet face, or smearing cream directly on the face, trying to lather this way with too scrubby a brush is a recipe for pain (brush burn). Two very different types of brush work for me here. Synthetics work very well if I paint and add water gradually. On the other hand, very soft floppy badgers work well for me if I get stuck in with quite a wet brush. If the root of the knot is full of water, there's no room for rich lather to accumulate. That said, it can be messy, as the water can flood from the base of the knot, so it's important to keep wetting the knot well, to keep freeing up the bristles.

Works great with synthetics if painting

Works great with wet supersoft brushes

You can scrub your face raw (friction burns) with stiff badger and boar brushes.

Method 4: Layering

This works well with nearly all brushes, though lower backbone brushes need a slight tweak to the method. This method alternates adding soap and water. I start with a damp brush, but don't load enough soap (intentionally) for a full shave. I paint that on, then dip the brush on water, then paint that on. Load a bit more soap, paint that on, then paint in more water.

This method floods the beard with soapy water, as an integral prep, and as you gradually add more soap, that "soup" thickens up to a wonderfully super slick lather. This can choke up floppy brushes though, and I find myself having to dunk the whole knot to free up the gummed up core of the knot. Moderately low backbone brushes will keep free enough to work effectively, but the most spineless brushes will not. By the time you've freed up the knot, you've turned the lather to a complete washout.

Works great with boar, badger, and synthetic, from high down to moderately low backbone brushes. It's also good for working with brushes that can hog lather, as it keeps most of the action toward the tips.

Works poorly with the lowest backbone brushes... but I have a special method for those next.

Method 5: Liquid load

This is the one that will get some folks here having kittens! 🤣

This is awesome for keeping the innermost fibres of the floppiest brushes moving freely, and working effectively. Instead of adding water to soap, this revolves around adding soap to water. Dunk/soak the brush, and agitate under water to chase out any air, then lift the brush out and wait for the excess to run off. When it stops dribbling, that it the maximum amount of water that brush can hold. And we're going to use all of it!

Wipe the knot on the lip of your lather bowl to collect all that water inside, then using the now damp brush, load off the soap as normal. Go back to the bowl, and "rinse" the soap off into the water collected. As you keep swirling the brush, it will 'drink' it back up again. Wipe the brush on the lip of the bowl again, and let that soapy liquid run back into the bowl once more.

If that liquid is milk thickness or thinner, load again off the soap, and again, 'rinse' it in the lather bowl. The liquid ideally wants to be somewhere between milk and single cream the next time you wipe the brush on the rim to release the liquid. No more soap should be needed now, just "bowl lather" with minimal pressure, and let the brush drink it back up again.

Now face lather.

This might be a little messy to start with, but this will give you the very best bristle action from your floppiest brushes. This can turn lifeless mops into truly wonderful lather machines. Paint and swirl to your heart's content, but be sure you're leaning over the sink when you do. If you've got any ineffective floppy brushes in your array, do give this method a try. Obviously, it'll need a little experimentation to identify the right fluid consistency for your brush. Don't expect meringue face lathers from this method, just super slick and abundantly hydrated lathers.

Possible variations include squeezing cream into the lather bowl, before you first collect a brushful of water. You might need to add a little more cream later, as it breaks down into the liquid. Better to start with not enough than too much though.

IMG_20210330_125000(1).jpg

For tub soaps, I serve up a sample sized spoonful into one of these pewter soap dishes, and mould it into the bottom.

20211022_220628.jpg

That gives me another variation, as I can collect that initial brushful of water in this, and load up the soapy water in one hit. Again, I may need to wipe the brush to release the liquid then load again for best results.

Works best with the floppiest lower backbone brushes. (My Kent BLK2 grey badger absolutely LOVES this method)

Works poorly with stiffer backbone brushes

I wanted to keep this opening post as concise as possible (even though I probably failed miserably), to just give a general overview of what methods I use, and most importantly, when.

Not everyone will agree with my rationale. We all have different lather preferences, different water chemistry, etc. But hopefully this might help someone matchup the best methods for their brushes, and get their shaves off to a better start. I do expect comments and criticisms, so fire away, but please keep it kind and civil. I don't expect us to all be in agreement throughout.

Cheers 🍻

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Nice post. Back when I used creams I found it easier to put a dollop of cream in the bottom of the bowl (a scuttle in my case, but that changes nothing) rather than dip/swirl the brush. I've done it with soap - mashing the soap dollop as flat as possible with my thumb before building lather. It works well and is an efficient way to get the same amount of soap each time, but ultimately I decided it was too much trouble. I do like to leave a bit more water in the brush for the bowl vs face lathering. I try to guess the exact amount I will need so I don't have to add more water. I get it right once in in blue moon. I do very much like a big brush without too much backbone for the bowl - faster build that way. SOC boar and Kent BK8 are perfect for me.

Quick question about method 5: Does the amount of soap you press into the bowl last for more than one shave? That seems like an awful lot of soap for one use. Just curious.

Regardless, I appreciate your thoroughness in building lather. I'm an exclusive bowl latherer but might branch out of my comfort zone after the inspiration you've provided. 🍻

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Quick question about method 5: Does the amount of soap you press into the bowl last for more than one shave? That seems like an awful lot of soap for one use. Just curious.

Regardless, I appreciate your thoroughness in building lather. I'm an exclusive bowl latherer but might branch out of my comfort zone after the inspiration you've provided. 🍻

The spoonful in the pewter dish? That might do 20 to 30 shaves, as I usually get 2 or 3 shaves per gram with tub soaps. I just serve up sample sized portions so I can change soaps quicker, while keeping the parent soap in the tub dry.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
+1 for direct face lather (with hands)—do an online search.

All the other methods sound interesting, but all seem like a variation of brush/bowl triviality differences. Face lather with hand provides THE most direct feedback. YMMV.

Cheers

I have done that with shave sticks, bar soaps, creams and gels. I much prefer a brush. The differences in methods are not trivialities. They make a significant impact on how well my brushes perform.

Excellent post. I always use method #1 and I don’t have clogging issues with low backbone brushes.

Maybe I’m using just the brush tips and painting more than you do. After I complete my lather I also use a finger to scoop any excess lather from around the base of the knot and from the edges on my face and I pile this lather onto the top of my brush ready for the next pass. This may also help to avoid lather clogging inside the knot. If this pile of lather dries slightly before my next pass I just add a little more water with my brush tips, but it never dries very much. Doing it this way also allows me to use smaller brushes without reloading, where otherwise the knot might not hold enough for three good passes.

I feel like I might try method #5. I was intrigued watching a couple of videos of Italian or Turkish barbers who make an extremely wet lather and it looked like it works very well (a bit messy, as you say, but it seems to me that a really wet lather ought to be great to shave with).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wow, this is intriguing. From spreadsheets I read in a thread some guys use up to 5, even 7 grams per shave. What brands allow you to get away with such small loads?

In my case, I’ve only done 0.5 gram loads with hard soaps like SV. For the rest of croaps/creams it’s normally 1-2 grams

Phoenix and Beau. and Wickham 1912. In fairness, I do tend toward smaller brushes, and prefer a thinner wetter lather. It is of no surprise to me that some people use over five times what I do. With harder mug soaps, I have hit 4 shaves per gram.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Excellent post. I always use method #1 and I don’t have clogging issues with low backbone brushes

I can sometimes get away with it on moderate backbone brushes, if I start with the brush wet enough. My super badgers and higher lofted badgers, gum up too badly, and it's not worth wrestling with. That last method just makes my life a lot easier, so long as I remember to use it... :001_unsur

I feel like I might try method #5. I was intrigued watching a couple of videos of Italian or Turkish barbers who make an extremely wet lather and it looked like it works very well (a bit messy, as you say, but it seems to me that a really wet lather ought to be great to shave with).

By all means, give it a whirl and report back. :thumbup1:

I've been trying method 5 for these past few shaves, and I'm quite impressed. Before I would just bloom the soap briefly before loading up the brush (Stirling's Beeswax soap and a Shavemac badger brush). Adding drops of water at a time and after a few minutes of work, I end up with a decent lather to work with.
This method saves time and produces a lot more lather than what I got previously. I use Stirling's silicone bowl, and it's maybe 2/3 full of lather when I'm ready to shave. Admittedly I'm seeing microbubbles, so I'm trying to tweak the water/soap ratio to see if it helps. Though the lather's never evaporated on my face, still nice and slick. I'm impressed, thanks for the tips.

Phoenix and Beau. and Wickham 1912. In fairness, I do tend toward smaller brushes, and prefer a thinner wetter lather. It is of no surprise to me that some people use over five times what I do. With harder mug soaps, I have hit 4 shaves per gram.

Another big factor in soap use is whether you use a synthetic brush or animal hair brush. Animal hair brushes in my experience require about double the soap to make good lather compared to a synthetic brush. Not to mention that synthetic brushes build lather faster and easier than animal hair brushes (again, in my experience).

Well I am not OCD about shaving, removing beard daily is mission, and I try to keep the process Simple and no make a big deal out of it.

Yes there are thing I am OCD about but these are more important in my life then what soap, brush, or razor is going to work best. Soap get bought, use, and if it is good, it is repurchased. Keep It Simple works for me.

Top Bottom