What's new

What YouTubers’ lathering method resembles yours?

I know some of my fellow wetshavers in the forum don’t really like seeing men shaving while they speak nonstop. However, as a newbie I’ve learned a lot from seeing a selected number of YouTubers who are particularly entertaining or whose tips I find useful. So, I’d like to discuss the methods some of these people use. I’ll give a general description of what I’ve seen and post a video in spoiler if you want to check what I’m talking about:

- IAMCDB

He mainly bowl lathers. Starts scooping a bit of product and smashing it in the bowl. With a damp (not wet or dripping brush) he starts working the lather adding water little by little. I think this is the one I’ve had most success using

- PaulH /Geofatboy

I think both use a similar method. When they bowl lather, they start with a wetter brush and work it until it reaches the consistency they like. They rarely add more water. PaulH seems to do half of the process in the bowl and finishes working it on the face

- SinatraLennon

His method is the most intriguing for me. He starts with a dripping brush (really wet), loads for a few seconds directly from the tub and works the load for some other 20 seconds on the face. He ends up with a very thin, wet and apparently foamy lather. I don’t think the whole process takes him over a minute

I continue researching lathering methods because it’s probably the part of the shave that’s required more practice in my case. I’ve had problems creating a lather slick enough for my razor to really glide over it

I've posted this on other threads, but I think the best YT vids to watch to pick up lathering tips are actual barbers. Almost to a person (men and women barbers), they make a thinner, wetter lather than you'll see with the more main line channels.

A thinner, higher H2O volume lather is slicker and, as these barbers are using a straight, more desirable. I am a bit suspicious of vids where building a lather takes forever and is the consistency of yogurt.

That said, I enjoy all of the channels you mentioned, plus others that are not.

My two cents.

Maybe I need to dig out my tripod and do another lather video...ok, maybe not. When I did make them, they were 2-3 minutes, no talking, no shaving, just making the lather.

That said, don't worry too much what anyone elses lather looks like or how they get there. With more experience you will perfect it for your shave style.

My lather is perfect for me.

Last edited:
I've posted this on other threads, but I think the best YT vids to watch to pick up lathering tips are actual barbers. Almost to a person (men and women barbers), they make a thinner, wetter lather than you'll see with the more main line channels.

A thinner, higher H2O volume lather is slicker and, as these barbers are using a straight, more desirable. I am a bit suspicious of vids where building a lather takes forever and is the consistency of yogurt.

That said, I enjoy all of the channels you mentioned, plus others that are not.

My two cents.

Thanks. I’ve seen a couple of barbers and as you mention, they start with a fairly wet brush and the lather might seem a bit foamy and runny, like the one in the last video I posted. Could you recommend one? I’ve seen some from Barber T (Barber Turko)

For the most part, the people who are trying to teach us how to lather and how to shave can neither make a really good lather nor shave. Of course there are exceptions. But most YouTubers show thick and not enough hydrated foam.
The nice well lather when applied to the face is translucent and hydrated to the point of being on the verge of dripping. This is a really slippery and protective foam.

Not well-hydrated foam leaves traces after the razor and is difficult to wash off. Unfortunately, we often see just that.

I have watched all the YouTubers mentioned in the OP's post and have learned a little bit from each one, I suppose. When it comes to lathering, I'm not the most consistent practitioner but some days I get it right.
I have one of those rubber dog bowls with nubs in the bottom. I swish my medium soaked brush on the soap for about 30 seconds in a circular fashion, then sprinkle some water into the bowl and start making lather. Sometimes I'll do a little face lather first but that's rare. It works for me. I don't like the lather too drippy and wet. I like it relatively thick.

Another Cut Above does exceptional (face)lathers. "Thick" but well-hydrated. Sadly he rarely uploads nowadays.
Here's his tutorial video :

Just saw a video of his face lathering with an Arko stick. Very interesting technique for sure to gauge water usage

I just load soap directly to the wet brush and scrub and add water until I'm happy with the consistency.

So...that video...

...or maybe this one...

If I'm using cream or stick, I rub a quantity of product on my (damp) face, and then scrub and add water until I'm happy with the consistency.

Shaving with Fuzzy -- no nonsense, no bowl lathering "bowls are for gumbo," mostly shave sticks and damp brushes (mostly boar) loaded from the puck and face lathering; with the goal of a thinner, slicker lather, not "buttercream, you're not icing a cake"

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Lather is just a combination of soap and water. I think we sometimes complicate that simple concept. Put the soap in the bowl (on the face) first and add water? Fine. Load the brush first? Fine. Start with the brush wet enough for the entire process? Fine (if you're that good at estimating - I like to try). Add water little by little? Fine. Just end up with the best ratio of water and soap. Use whichever method works for you.

I did watch a video years ago where someone took 3+ minutes to get to the correct ratio of water/soap. That drives me crazy. Use your eyes - if it looks crazy dry add larger quantities of water. Don't spend all day, it's just water and soap.

It's like fly fishing - there are folks who spend all their time perfecting a cast so it looks like 'A River Runs through It' and those who care about presenting the fly in a way that results in catching fish which is not much to look at, but takes a lot of finesse to trick a wiley trout.
Neither is right or wrong, because we all enjoy various aspects of wetshaving, but are you trying to achieve a great shave or a photogenic lather?

Videos ... meh for me - when I first started with a DE razor I tried watched a few, but realized guys painting lather for 6 minutes with a wierd grin is not at all about shaving. The others are just trying to get free stuff or sell you stuff... YouTube is a strange, strange place.

Top Bottom