What's new

Marco Method Monday

I decided to institute Marco Method Monday for my shaves.

If you are not familiar with the Marco Method, there are plenty of descriptions of it available on this site, but it boils down to using a wetter brush and loading more product to produce a voluminous yet still very slick lather. It was created by barbers in Italy specifically for the Italian soaps, but seems to work for a number of products.

If you need to see the original post on this method:

Today, I used the Marco Method on my Noble Otter Two Kings soap. This soap lathers marvelously with my regular method, but the Marco Method took it to the next step. It was a creamy and very slick lather, and I got an excellent shave. Almost indulgent.

I will return and report on all my future Marco Monday shaves, and I'd love to hear about yours.

** WARNING: If you choose to participate, please be aware that the post-Marco Method shave may require extra cleanup steps as your sink may be covered with extra lather :)

What do you mean with wetter brush?
In the Marco method, you pick up your brush from soaking and turn it upside down. Only the water that falls out of it from gravity is taken out of the brush. You don't flick or squeeze the bulb to remove water. You load the soap with an extremely wetter brush than most people typically use, and you also load much more soap than people might normally use.

It basically ensures you have enough water and enough soap to make plenty of lather. It's messy and probably wasteful of soap, but it works well on almost any soap I've ever tried it on.

Some people may always use that wet of a brush, but I never had.

The Marco method has been recommended & shared by many through the years. Great idea to start a Marco Method Monday to keep it towards the top for folks looking to try another method for lathering. And a very successful method of lathering, I might add.

The Marco method has been recommended & shared by many through the years. Great idea to start a Marco Method Monday to keep it towards the top for folks looking to try another method for lathering. And a very successful method of lathering, I might add.
That was part of the reason for my post. Now I just have to remember next Monday :)

It works well, and is boar-centric (Italian barbers).

Most importantly, internalize the basic principles, and adjust accordingly especially if you use a synthetic brush.

It might help too cross correlate with the foolproof lathering method thread.

... Thom

Honestly I have never seen an Italian barber doing it, they all used a lathering bowl, not the face of the customer
However it is fun and I do it from time to time. I'll join the club next Monday. Thanks!
I'm basing this on Marco getting this information from a specific Italian barber. It may have been that gentleman's procedure, not an industry-wide thing. My bad for insinuating that :)

I actually incorporate a bowl into my use of this method myself since it's fairly messy post-loading ( I start building the lather in a bowl, but transition to my face far far sooner than I would in my normal process ). It's messy ( for me ) even then, but it creates such a ridiculously slick lather I enjoy using it occasionally. Once a week might even be more than I want to do, but I'm willing to do it to share the method with people.

I used the method again today with a 30mm brush and Seaforth Spiced soap, and I had lather everywhere. It sure smelled good, though, and it was slicker than whale snot.

Your user icon makes me want to buy an Omega 48. My 49 is an absolute lather monster, but the handle on the 48 is killer!

*** Any mistakes I make in describing this method are mine. Read Marco's post to get a good understanding of the actual procedure, and modifications people have made to it. ***

Last edited:
It works well, and is boar-centric (Italian barbers).

Most importantly, internalize the basic principles, and adjust accordingly especially if you use a synthetic brush.

It might help too cross correlate with the foolproof lathering method thread.

... Thom
When I use my Omega 49 even Williams Brothers soap lathers well using this technique :)

when in genoa (2019), my italian barber used "marco" method with Proraso cream, great shave!!

genoa 2019 L-1000847x.jpg

Your user icon makes me want to buy an Omega 48. My 49 is an absolute lather monster, but the handle on the 48 is killer!
In spite of my avatar and nickname I may actually prefer the 49 :). I definitely prefer the 49 to it's cousing, the Proraso brush made by Omega with the "silver" handle.
Regardless, $10 on Amazon for the 10048 it's almost a no brainer.

In spite of my avatar and nickname I may actually prefer the 49 :). I definitely prefer the 49 to it's cousing, the Proraso brush made by Omega with the "silver" handle.
Regardless, $10 on Amazon for the 10048 it's almost a no brainer.
Agreed. It's high on my list of the best $10 I've spent on shaving gear.

Top Bottom