What's new

Johnny Slicks Lather Help & Feedback

Hey all, I am fairly new to wet shaving but use Johnny Slicks’ shampoo and conditioner so I decided to give their shave soap a go as it was a great price on sale for $28 and a whopping 8oz tub, organic. Smells great, just like the beast wash shampoo and conditioner I get from them.

I am new to wet shaving, but this is the weirdest shave soap I have tried to lather. I tried my usual Marco method of loading the brush from the tub and was immediately met with dawn dish soap suds level bubbles… very weird. Eventually I tried going literally squeezed dry, barely damp brush and was able to get a paste that I could face lather and add water to. It seems very slick, but only with a specific angle on my Merkur 34, but my usual angle that works fine with HAGS, Barrister & Man, Noble Otter, etc.. was very tuggy and uncomfortable.. eventually I rode the cap and it was very slick. Lathering either Marco or how most would lather, shake brush to get excess water out, then load the brush… just created a hyper foamy lather much more airy than barbasol. Eventually the best results came from almost no water, like practically a dry brush and making a super paste/cream then adding tiny drops of water to the top of the brush, which is the opposite of everything I have encountered thus far… perhaps some more experienced shavers can weigh in on this?

The ingredients are as follows: purified water, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, vitamin E oil, vitamin A oil, sorbitol, glycerin, argan oil, sodium chloride, and fragrance.

The other thing, it is very hard to clean out of my brushes and takes some serious washing otherwise it stays bubbly and there is almost a greasy residue on my synthetic brushes - assuming from all the oils in it.

Does anyone have experience with it and can weigh in, or does anybody have experience with a soap
Like this? I can provide pictures of the dramatic dawn sudsy like reaction to lots of water if needed - it’s crazy!

Thank you!

I always use a drier brush and add water slowly.

Your issues is likely too much water and not nearly enough product. With that wet a brush, you need to use way more product to offset the water content.

Use more product and less water. Once dialed in, experiment with more water to start.

I have never heard of this soap. It could just be a crappy product too. I am not an ingredient snob if a soap works, but the ingredients on the website don't scream shave soap to me. Can you post the ingredient list?

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Must be more ingredients than this:

>The ingredients are as follows: purified water, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, vitamin E oil, vitamin A oil, sorbitol, glycerin, argan oil, sodium chloride, and fragrance.

That isn't soap, not even close. Anything else listed on the container?

I always use a drier brush and add water slowly.

Your issues is likely too much water and not nearly enough product. With that wet a brush, you need to use way more product to offset the water content.

Use more product and less water. Once dialed in, experiment with more water to start.

I have never heard of this soap. It could just be a crappy product too. I am not an ingredient snob if a soap works, but the ingredients on the website don't scream shave soap to me. Can you post the ingredient list?
Yes sir, I have tried all sorts of methods with this soap… I know reviews on a company’s website can be misleading.. but they are all glowing and verified purchases, plus it is $40/tub and it is very very slick post shave feel.. just suds up like dish soap. It is very very weird.. I agree with a dry brush and adding water slowly, but this literally needs a dry brush to even load on the brush. I am thinking it has to be treated like shaving cream and bowl lathered very carefully.

I will attach a photo of the ingredients list and tub on the OP. It is a highly reputable organic hair products company, so I would hate to think they simply missed the mark THIS hard.

Hey all, I am fairly new to wet shaving but use Johnny Slicks’ shampoo and conditioner so I decided to give their shave soap a go as it was a great price on sale for $28 and a whopping 8oz tub, organic. Smells great, just like the beast wash shampoo and conditioner I get from them.

I am new to wet shaving, but this is the weirdest shave soap I have tried to lather. I tried my usual Marco method of loading the brush from the tub and was immediately met with dawn dish soap suds level bubbles… very weird. Eventually I tried going literally squeezed dry, barely damp brush and was able to get a paste that I could face lather and add water to. It seems very slick, but only with a specific angle on my Merkur 34, but my usual angle that works fine with HAGS, Barrister & Man, Noble Otter, etc.. was very tuggy and uncomfortable.. eventually I rode the cap and it was very slick. Lathering either Marco or how most would lather, shake brush to get excess water out, then load the brush… just created a hyper foamy lather much more airy than barbasol. Eventually the best results came from almost no water, like practically a dry brush and making a super paste/cream then adding tiny drops of water to the top of the brush, which is the opposite of everything I have encountered thus far… perhaps some more experienced shavers can weigh in on this?

The ingredients are as follows: purified water, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, vitamin E oil, vitamin A oil, sorbitol, glycerin, argan oil, sodium chloride, and fragrance.

The other thing, it is very hard to clean out of my brushes and takes some serious washing otherwise it stays bubbly and there is almost a greasy residue on my synthetic brushes - assuming from all the oils in it.

Does anyone have experience with it and can weigh in, or does anybody have experience with a soap
Like this? I can provide pictures of the dramatic dawn sudsy like reaction to lots of water if needed - it’s crazy!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2221.jpeg
    IMG_2221.jpeg
    858.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2224.jpeg
    IMG_2224.jpeg
    797.4 KB · Views: 14
Must be more ingredients than this:

>The ingredients are as follows: purified water, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, vitamin E oil, vitamin A oil, sorbitol, glycerin, argan oil, sodium chloride, and fragrance.

That isn't soap, not even close. Anything else listed on the container?

Attachments

• 1710872955312.png
    1710872955312.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 13

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That is not soap and legally should not be labeled as such.

In section 701.20 of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations [21 CFR 701.20], the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) defines the term "soap" as a product in which the non-volatile portion consists principally of an alkali salt of fatty acids, i.e., the traditional composition of soap, the product is labeled as soap ...

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
That is not soap and legally should not be labeled as such.

In section 701.20 of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations [21 CFR 701.20], the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) defines the term "soap" as a product in which the non-volatile portion consists principally of an alkali salt of fatty acids, i.e., the traditional composition of soap, the product is labeled as soap ...
I agree, I think it’s funny the last thing on their ingredients list is “not approved by the FDA” Makes me think they know it’s not a soap.

@Well_Groomed_Yeti have you tried to use it without a brush? Just smear it on and shave, like Cremo.

Top Bottom