What's new

Done with: How many shaves per blade?

In trying out blades, I've been trying to figure out how many shaves I can get from various blades. I'm absolutley knocked by guys on this site telling about 30, 60 or way more shaves with some blades. My beard is average but I've finally realized that with very few exceptions, on the second pass of shave three, I can feel the blade loosing sharpness. Exceptions are maybe multi coated blades like Bic Chrome Platinums where I can go seven or 8 shaves. Decided to count three shaves and pitch it. Blades are to cheap to get a 'settle for' shave to pinch pennies.
I am in complete agreement. I'm a "Three And Out" guy. I've noticed a difference after the 3rd shave with a blade and life is too short and DE blades are too inexpensive to stretch them any further. So without exception, unless I bin a blade earlier for lousy performance, I discard it after Shave #3.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I do not believe that most of those who obtain huge numbers of shaves from a blade do so in order to 'pinch pennies'. There are people with 365 shaves from a single blade - used in a $700 razor with a $500 brush. They have their own perfectly valid reasons for extended blade use, but saving money is not normally among them.
Well said! That is what I concluded with some folks who have huge razor collection of high end razors to vintage razors and they push a blade to far sometimes. Nothing wrong with counting high # of uses per blade but I'm sure if I tried a blade over 20 uses I more than likely would bin it because it has gone past normal blade life expected and would not enjoy the shave.

Depends on the blade, of course. If I can get somewhere between four and six shaves, the blade has done its job. Some blades such as Personna Med Prep will go for eight or more.

I'm starting to think with some good blades out there for under $10/100, why not just start a "three and done" pattern and get a fresh blade more often.

Now engineers at MIT have studied the simple act of shaving up close, observing how a razor blade can be damaged as it cuts human hair — a material that is 50 times softer than the blade itself. They found that hair shaving deforms a blade in a way that is more complex than simply wearing down the edge over time. In fact, a single strand of hair can cause the edge of a blade to chip under specific conditions. Once an initial crack forms, the blade is vulnerable to further chipping. As more cracks accumulate around the initial chip, the razor’s edge can quickly dull.

This is from the engineers at MIT in 2020. So it seems that dulling is not as big a problem as the small chips in the blade that shaving produces. Different blades and different faces, but I get 2 good shaves from a Feather, 4 from most blades and 5-6 from a Med Prep.

I was intrigued by the reports of exceedingly longevity and tried to see how far I could go, but the 8th shave was absolutely disagreeable. I keep track of my shaves because I'm not at all interested in getting to another poor shave - ever. If the 4th shave seems ridiculously good (it happens occasionally) I'll go to 5 - but at that point it's saving me 3 cents. I'm delighted to report that I just don't care about 3 cents, and I care a great deal about my comfort. I admit to being as spoiled as I can manage - but who better?
OK, thanks. I once read that the wetter the hair is the weaker the tensile strength it has, hence easier to shave. I was looking for the 'science' of that statement on Google, but I can't find it.

OK, thanks. I once read that the wetter the hair is the weaker the tensile strength it has, hence easier to shave. I was looking for the 'science' of that statement on Google, but I can't find it.

Here is a thread from awhile back:

I'm in the try for 4 - 6 shaves with a blade camp, and sometimes I push a blade if it feels like there's a shave or two left in it. When trying a new blade, I'll push it as far as I can just to see what that blade's limits are. I really don't have any set number for tossing a blade, only when I can feel that it's done.

Here's my thinking (and only mine, to each their own) - I can't toss something away that still has something to give. I used a round of Williams for over 175 shaves (even though it only cost about US$1 at the time). On the other hand, I bought a great soap for around US$20, but it irritated my face; so after 1 use, I was done using it.

I got into DE shaving, 1-to get a good shave and 2- save money from the cost of cartridge razors. I found that the Treet Platinums blades give me as good a shave as Feather and Personna Platinums blades. I can use the Treets for 2 to maybe 3 shaves and toss them. Feathers give 3 days and Personna can go longer but both are expensive where as Treets are 8 cents per blade and fit into the reason I went with DE shaving.

Back when I would go into an office M-F I would get six shaves - i.e., Sunday off and a fresh blade on Monday (usually a Feather).

Now life is less regimented so I am shaving every other day - sometimes less. So I'm not keeping track of the count, just going by feel.

Maybe there's a "ShaveCounter" app out there?

On second thought, no ... I already try to track too many things ...

1-2 with a DE blade for me. I may go another shave or two with the odd rare/expensive blade like Polish Polsilvers or Med Preps.

Also, GEM and SE blades are good for 5-6 shaves for me.

I remember reading about a guy that used one blade for 365 shaves and people were impressed. LOL. Blades are $0.10-0.30 each… I am good with only using sharp/new blades.

Back when I would go into an office M-F I would get six shaves - i.e., Sunday off and a fresh blade on Monday (usually a Feather).

Now life is less regimented so I am shaving every other day - sometimes less. So I'm not keeping track of the count, just going by feel.

Maybe there's a "ShaveCounter" app out there?

On second thought, no ... I already try to track too many things ...
Be careful of which you ask for or even suggest

What I have found is that some blades last longer in different razors. For example, before I owned a Gamechanger, Feather blades were about 3-5 shaves and done. In any of my GC razors, a Feather blade will last between 25-30 shaves easily.

Other blades haven't lasted that long in the GC (as of yet), but I do get more than 5 shaves and possibly up to 10 with other brands. But again, this is my experience which does not correspond to any other. :lol::lol::lol:

marty

What I have found is that some blades last longer in different razors. For example, before I owned a Gamechanger, Feather blades were about 3-5 shaves and done. In any of my GC razors, a Feather blade will last between 25-30 shaves easily.

Other blades haven't lasted that long in the GC (as of yet), but I do get more than 5 shaves and possibly up to 10 with other brands. But again, this is my experience which does not correspond to any other. :lol::lol::lol:

marty

I usually find that a blade that feels done with in my Slim I can get a couple of shaves more with in my Muramasa. Not always but usually.

Generally speaking I don't have any rules. If a blade starts to feel like it's done I move on, regardless of if it's the first or nth shave. I don't usually keep track of how many shaves I'm getting out of each blade unless I'm unfamiliar with a type of blade and figuring out how I feel about it.

Based on when I have counted, I usually get 3-5 or so shaves out of a blade, but it varies a lot depending on the blade and my mood.

I got into DE shaving, 1-to get a good shave and 2- save money from the cost of cartridge razors. I found that the Treet Platinums blades give me as good a shave as Feather and Personna Platinums blades. I can use the Treets for 2 to maybe 3 shaves and toss them. Feathers give 3 days and Personna can go longer but both are expensive where as Treets are 8 cents per blade and fit into the reason I went with DE shaving.
Just a quick update. The Treets are one and done.

Top Bottom