What's new

Thoughts On Reusing A Blade

I have a Gillette Silver Blue loaded up and have used it for six shaves in a row. It is doing fine. I intend to see just how long I can make it serve me before I am really compelled to change it out.

I wonder if it could even cause more irritation?
I say this as a totally uneducated shaver but, coming from the automotive hobby world, when using a "razor" blade for removing window tint film or decals from glass, it won't leave scratches if you keep the same side of the blade against the glass throughout the process, but if you flip the blade over halfway through then you'll get scratches because you're now putting the micro chipped side against the glass.
Would that apply to shaving as well?

I had never thought about it is this respect. Although I can see that having even pressure against something as hard and smooth as glass, would maintain a constant and equal pressure against one side of the blade.

This would be different than shaving your face.

Since I remove my blades after every shave to rinse, wipe and dry them. The next day, I simply turn the blade over. My thinking is that if pressure was applied to one side, then approximately equal pressure would be applied to the other side the next day.

Does this actually do anything? I haven't a clue?

I was inspired to try multiple uses of a blade last year after reading through the thread devoted to that topic. I ended up getting five solid shaves out of a Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge blade. That was exciting and I ended up stocking up on that blade.

The Gillette, along with Feather and BIC Chrome Platinums are blades I always trust for multiple shaves. That being said, I do enjoy putting in a fresh blade just for the reason of taking my time and enjoying the process.

Although I can see that having even pressure against something as hard and smooth as glass, would maintain a constant and equal pressure against one side of the blade.
This would be different than shaving your face.
Yes you're right it won't be quite the same. It was just a thought, there may be similarities. Either way I don't think I will bother stressing about it. 😄

I wonder if it could even cause more irritation?
I say this as a totally uneducated shaver but, coming from the automotive hobby world, when using a "razor" blade for removing window tint film or decals from glass, it won't leave scratches if you keep the same side of the blade against the glass throughout the process, but if you flip the blade over halfway through then you'll get scratches because you're now putting the micro chipped side against the glass.
Would that apply to shaving as well?
You bring up a very valid question. It would make sense that flipping a razor blade would cause an increase in irritation based on the information you provided. Need to do a non scientific study on my face to see how it affects my skin.

You bring up a very valid question. It would make sense that flipping a razor blade would cause an increase in irritation based on the information you provided. Need to do a non scientific study on my face to see how it affects my skin.
For the One Blade in February Challenge, I got 16 shaves out of a single Treet Dura Sharp. I considered a blade to have 4 cutting edges, 1 on each side and then flipped over. I only used one edge at a time, and each time I switched edges I definitely felt the first shave on the new edge was sharper.

As for irritation... who knows? But I didn't observe anything in that way.

For the One Blade in February Challenge, I got 16 shaves out of a single Treet Dura Sharp. I considered a blade to have 4 cutting edges, 1 on each side and then flipped over. I only used one edge at a time, and each time I switched edges I definitely felt the first shave on the new edge was sharper.

As for irritation... who knows? But I didn't observe anything in that way.
Again I feel that you have a very strong point as to flipping a blade over after each use which to me seems very logical.

Why throw a blade away after something as arbitrary as a single shave?

Top reasons for me:

1. The first shave was completely and utterly awful, and shaving with it again makes me shiver.

2. I really just want to put a different kind of blade in because variety is fun.

I am now only using a blade twice. Yup, two shaves per DE blade. Blades are so inexpensive compared to cartridges and give such great shaves by comparison to cartridges that I no longer worry about the cost of a single DE blade. I always make three passes when I shave, WTG, ATG and ATG. I get amazing shaves this way especially when using a great cream or soap.

Two shaves per blade with three passes for each shave for a wonderful close and smooth result for a few cents per blade. In addition, I have to say I can get this kind of result regardless of what blade I use. Why try to save a few cents by trying to get four or more shaves out of a blade? I generally shave every three-days anyway except for special occasions or if I just want to shave again for the enjoyment.

That said, I do have my favorite blades; Feather and Nacet. However, I seem to get great shaves regardless of which blade I use when I only use each blade for two shaves and replace it. I have yet to run into a BAD blade regardless of blade brand when I use a new one every two shaves.

Am I imagining things?

If I spend 40 cents on a Feather blade and only use it twice it is costing me 20 cents per shave. If I buy a lesser brand blade at 10 cents per blade it costs me 5 cents per shave using that blade twice. I seem to get amazing results with any new blade. Meanwhile, I will continue experimenting with lots of different blades and see if I keep getting the same results. I am using the same DE razor each time, a vintage Gillette Adjustable made in the 1960s.

Your thoughts are welcome.....
Because every person, razor, blade, face, beard texture, technique, shaving frequency permutation is different.

For example, my best shaves with an Astra SS on my Overlander are #'s 2, 3, and 4. #4 is so good, I'm tempted to try #5. 6 months ago, I never would have considered a 4th shave on any razor/blade combination.

In contrast, shave #1 with a Feather (not corked) is a total disaster which has me questioning the concept of shaving :eek2:

YMMV, etc ...

... Thom

Top reasons for me:

1. The first shave was completely and utterly awful, and shaving with it again makes me shiver.

2. I really just want to put a different kind of blade in because variety is fun.
Oh, yeah if it's just not a good fit for your face then all other factors are trumped. As long as those experimenting are aware that blades have a prime beyond the first shave. I remember the experimentation phase before I discovered BIC Chrome and it was hard to force myself to use just "okay" blades

My Gillette Silver Blue worked for 7 shaves. On shave 8 it did not fair so well. Lots of tugging and not so pleasant. Had to discard the blade and find another. The first 6 shaves were pretty comfortable. 7 was ok and 8 not something I wanted to continue using.

However, I do like Silver Blues. Other favorites are NACET and Feathers. Am still working thru the blades I won here in a PIF. Much thanks for that.

Top Bottom