What's new

Price of AC blades compared to DE blades?

I did some personal sums on this a month back in the SABRE thread. In this instance I am using the AC blades in barber razors.

10 Feather DE blades = £3.60. Cost per blade = £0.36. At 2 shaves per blade, cost per shave = £0.18
20 Feather AC blades = £16.80. Cost per blade = £0.84. At 4 shaves per blade, cost per shave = £0.21
30 Schick AC blades = £16.20. Cost per blade = £0.54. At 4 shaves per blade, cost per shave = £0.14

Some people claim to get many more shaves out of an AC blade, although when I tested I found that 5 or 6 shaves was probably as far as I want to push one. I also used to get more shaves from a DE blade, but nowadays I am pretty much one and done with everything apart from Feather and Permasharp. I find they start to get ragged during shave 3, so I quit while I am ahead at 2.

I based my maths on the typical UK prices for one pack. Obviously, there are potential savings from buying in bulk, so the average cost per shave for both types of blade could probably be reduced with that strategy.

Top Bottom