What's new

Thoughts On Reusing A Blade

DE/SE blades I never counted. I’d use them until they fell off.

I’ve got some blades that are 100-130 yrs old and they shave just fine with a touch up on a finisher now and again. They do get stropped before and after. No idea of the shave count on ‘em, or how many generations have used them
One of my blades is conservatively 182 years old. I only say that as the manufacturing company closed in 1842, but the razor could be (is likely) older.

DE blades varied from halfway through the first pass to 20+ shaves and then I got bored.

When I first started traditional wet shaving I would change my blade every 1-3 shaves and at the first sign of any type of issue i.e.(irritation, etc) then I started reading the Excalibur thread and I realized that many of my problems were technique related and had nothing to do with the blade. Now I can often use a blade for 10 - 20 full face multi pass shaves and it is still shaving well. I don't try to push a blade and will always replace it when it starts to noticeably deteriorate but I almost always get better performance from the blade after its 1st or 2nd shave. The result for me at least is that I consistently get much better shaves( rarely have a bad shave) even though I am changing my blades less frequently and concentrating more on improving my technique.

I am now only using a blade twice. Yup, two shaves per DE blade. Blades are so inexpensive compared to cartridges and give such great shaves by comparison to cartridges that I no longer worry about the cost of a single DE blade. I always make three passes when I shave, WTG, ATG and ATG. I get amazing shaves this way especially when using a great cream or soap.

Two shaves per blade with three passes for each shave for a wonderful close and smooth result for a few cents per blade. In addition, I have to say I can get this kind of result regardless of what blade I use. Why try to save a few cents by trying to get four or more shaves out of a blade? I generally shave every three-days anyway except for special occasions or if I just want to shave again for the enjoyment.

That said, I do have my favorite blades; Feather and Nacet. However, I seem to get great shaves regardless of which blade I use when I only use each blade for two shaves and replace it. I have yet to run into a BAD blade regardless of blade brand when I use a new one every two shaves.

Am I imagining things?

If I spend 40 cents on a Feather blade and only use it twice it is costing me 20 cents per shave. If I buy a lesser brand blade at 10 cents per blade it costs me 5 cents per shave using that blade twice. I seem to get amazing results with any new blade. Meanwhile, I will continue experimenting with lots of different blades and see if I keep getting the same results. I am using the same DE razor each time, a vintage Gillette Adjustable made in the 1960s.

Your thoughts are welcome.....
I had tried a dozen and a half blades when I switched from carts to DE. Our attitude or instincts are for reuse coming from campaigning carts. Twelve shaves on a Voskhod was the deepest I went with any blade. In my case I found a dulling blade to lose efficiency or sharpness. There isn’t any cutting instrument out there that will get sharper with use whether it is a surgeon’s scalpel or a lumberjack’s axe. Each use will deform and wear the apex of the edge dulling the apex to an obtuse profile. This wear will now need more force or pressure to achieve the same cut. Many shavers prefer an obtuse apex achieving a higher comfort or satisfaction in campaigning a blade in their shaves. They must adjust their technique and pressure used to achieve their desired shave results. An excellent example is your hunt on a dulling tomato slicing knife where you adjust to a better purchase or angle to get the cut you desire.

Whether Straight’s, SE, or DE, apexes. They are the most fragile thing you have in your house. Once unpackaged or dressed they immediately start to oxide. Carbon steel more than stainless but all will oxidize and the fragility of the apex will start to breakdown. There aren’t any straight razor shavers around who would consider reusing an edge without at least stropping the edge as a minimum before use.

As @Alum Ladd states, “Wet shaving is never static. Technique is always in flux, even if it may be some aspect which is so incrementally minor that it's almost unnoticable.”

I’m a weekly face and head shaver. My post shave routine is to remove my single used Feather blade. I soap wash the the new Feather (I hate the wax) blade and than rinse it with ISO, blow dry and oil the blade. The blade is then loaded into my cleaned polished razor. Locked and loaded ready for the next shave. My second and third choice blades would be Nacet and the Bic Platinum, nice blades but not as sharp as a Feather.

Your actual shave starts and ends with the apex of your blade. Shaving is a process with many variables the apex of your blade is the easiest element to control and keep consistent.

You can find some interesting articles on blades here.

I typically reuse blades until they shave rough or not doing a good job mowing down the whiskers. I have gotten 30+ shaves from Polsilver SI and 50+ from Kai SS before.

Currently at 18 shaves on a GEM PFTE SS blade. YMMV
Right now I am trying and comparing different blades but, I guess I should see how long I can make a blade last just for the interest of it. Instead of using a ten cent blade ten times a guy could use it 20 times for a half cent per shave! Eventually, a guy can pay off that $250 razor.

I am now only using a blade twice. Yup, two shaves per DE blade. Blades are so inexpensive compared to cartridges and give such great shaves by comparison to cartridges that I no longer worry about the cost of a single DE blade. I always make three passes when I shave, WTG, ATG and ATG. I get amazing shaves this way especially when using a great cream or soap.

Two shaves per blade with three passes for each shave for a wonderful close and smooth result for a few cents per blade. In addition, I have to say I can get this kind of result regardless of what blade I use. Why try to save a few cents by trying to get four or more shaves out of a blade? I generally shave every three-days anyway except for special occasions or if I just want to shave again for the enjoyment.

That said, I do have my favorite blades; Feather and Nacet. However, I seem to get great shaves regardless of which blade I use when I only use each blade for two shaves and replace it. I have yet to run into a BAD blade regardless of blade brand when I use a new one every two shaves.

Am I imagining things?

If I spend 40 cents on a Feather blade and only use it twice it is costing me 20 cents per shave. If I buy a lesser brand blade at 10 cents per blade it costs me 5 cents per shave using that blade twice. I seem to get amazing results with any new blade. Meanwhile, I will continue experimenting with lots of different blades and see if I keep getting the same results. I am using the same DE razor each time, a vintage Gillette Adjustable made in the 1960s.

Your thoughts are welcome.....
I don't notice any difference between my blades other than longevity with the exception of an occasional bad blade (twice over four+ years with my Derby Extras). I also use Astra SP, Dorco Stainless and Dorco Prime blades. Dorcos last the longest on average. My Derby's are the most variable ranging from the two bad blades to my longest lasting blade ever where it went for over 20 shaves. I've never run into a bad Astra or Dorco blade.

Note that for Feathers it is not unusual to only realize a couple of shaves. Many here have reported on this. These are the sharpest blades available so they have the narrowest blade tip hone angle. This means they have the least amount of steel backing up the cutting edge making them more susceptible to the micochipping that drives most blade wear.

I don't notice any difference between my blades other than longevity with the exception of an occasional bad blade (twice over four+ years with my Derby Extras). I also use Astra SP, Dorco Stainless and Dorco Prime blades. Dorcos last the longest on average. My Derby's are the most variable ranging from the two bad blades to my longest lasting blade ever where it went for over 20 shaves. I've never run into a bad Astra or Dorco blade.

Note that for Feathers it is not unusual to only realize a couple of shaves. Many here have reported on this. These are the sharpest blades available so they have the narrowest blade tip hone angle. This means they have the least amount of steel backing up the cutting edge making them more susceptible to the micochipping that drives most blade wear.
Thanks for the great reply. I had heard from other sources about Feathers being so thin and sharp that they microchip. Makes sense and they do give me great shaves but need to be replaced after about three or four shaves. I hear Astras are the go to blade for many as they are a stable blade when it comes to delivering consistency for the price.

Thanks for the great reply. I had heard from other sources about Feathers being so thin and sharp that they microchip. Makes sense and they do give me great shaves but need to be replaced after about three or four shaves. I hear Astras are the go to blade for many as they are a stable blade when it comes to delivering consistency for the price.

Don’t know about the microchipping, but I enjoy the sharpness of Feathers.
I also enjoy a blade that gives me at least seven close and comfortable shaves.

That eventually brought me to BiC DE blades.
They are close to Feathers in sharpness and are able to go the full distance.

I used to be weary of BiCs as some shavers didn’t seem to get good results from them.
First I had thought that the reason might be BiC quality control, but later it emerged that it might be more razor specific.

Be that as it may, I still have to find the first BiC blade that is not excellent and the first razor that does not work well with them. I also shave with straights and thus am used to have the blade glide directly over the skin (positive blade exposure in DE razor terms), which might make a difference in how I view Bic blades.

Regarding the Astras (green and blue), they are good, economical blades, but not outstanding.
I prefer the blue stainless steel ones over the green platinum ones, but the Russian made blades that I know are increasingly replaced by blades made elsewhere (India). The Russian ones were well liked, but for the Indian ones there are only a handful of reviews at this time and the jury is still out.

B.

Regarding Astra blades they are all St. Petersburg Russia production purchased 3-4 years ago. I've seen posts regarding current production coming out of other countries like India so you will need to look for reviews of the latest versions. Right now my Dorcos are the best blade and value in my rotation.

Don’t know about the microchipping, but I enjoy the sharpness of Feathers.
I also enjoy a blade that gives me at least seven close and comfortable shaves.

That eventually brought me to BiC DE blades.
They are close to Feathers in sharpness and are able to go the full distance.

I used to be weary of BiCs as some shavers didn’t seem to get good results from them.
First I had thought that the reason might be BiC quality control, but later it emerged that it might be more razor specific.

Be that as it may, I still have to find the first BiC blade that is not excellent and the first razor that does not work well with them. I also shave with straights and thus am used to have the blade glide directly over the skin (positive blade exposure in DE razor terms), which might make a difference in how I view Bic blades.

Regarding the Astras (green and blue), they are good, economical blades, but not outstanding.
I prefer the blue stainless steel ones over the green platinum ones, but the Russian made blades that I know are increasingly replaced by blades made elsewhere (India). The Russian ones were well liked, but for the Indian ones there are only a handful of reviews at this time and the jury is still out.

B.
MIT study around two years ago determined that all razor blades used for shaving wear via micochipping. You can google it and see the findings.

I mean it doesn't necessarily matter. Tracking blade longevity in a more generic sense is important. If I got less than 2 shaves from a blade I'd consider it a dud. However, sometimes the same brand of blade from the same tuck will feel great for 10+ shaves and others will feel bad midway through the first pass. Listening to our faces is important in this case. I won't force myself to get a minimum number of shaves if the blade is clearly not comfortable and I won't wastefully throw a blade away if it is still feeling good just because it reached a threshold.

The only blade I use is the PTFE Coated SS blade.

I get 3-5 uses from this blade. I toss the blade afterwards due to experience of shave quality if I try to extend use.
Most SE users will agree that is the preferred blade on the market for those who use GEM style razors.

This is after years of trial and error using both CS and SS single edge blades. Once I find what I like I stick to it, with no desire to use others. I go by the if it is not broken, don’t try to fix it theory.

I am a daily face and head shaver. I have no facial hair and I have no hair up top. I have no experience with any other SE type blades, nor do I desire too. I have gone through that phase.

I know the type of daily shave I desire which is a safe, close, smooth, comfortable, effortless shave that is as close to DFS or BBS as possible. I now have the blade and the razor needed to get as close to it as I can on a daily basis. I can only continue to get closer to my goals if my hardware do not change. I do adjust my shaving
techniques during each shave to help me reach my daily goals.

I will not reach my goals if I frequently change razors, and blades using the same techniques.

I do not use DE’s. Too many razor and blade choices. To overwhelming for me. Brethren, continue to do you, so that you can continue to reach your shave goals and enjoy wet shaving.

Curious

Any Part time or other full time SE users, whom use SE’s, GEM style, with similar ways of thinking.

Continue to enjoy this thread.

Hi,

I can easily get 20 shaves per blade. I went all 29 days of February this year during the One Blade in February challenge. But, it really started falling off after 25.

There is always a fall off after a few days but then it comes back in to where they shave better than on day one.

I didn't want to track days of use per blade, so I opt to run from the 1st of the month to the 15th on one blade, then the 16th to the 30th or 31st on the next.

Just food for thought.

Stan

I typically get 7-10 good/great shaves out of most of the blades I like. That said, I let the blade dictate its longevity, and I don't push it if it does not seem up to the task. Blades are cheap, and I have a lifetime supply already, so I don't usually try to push them just to push them.

However, I got 23 shaves from a single blade in February, and it was shaving adequately when I tossed it. That was just a one-off Forum challenge, and I wouldn't have taken it that long otherwise.

I have noticed several B&B members proclaim that blades are so inexpensive that they care nothing about the cost. Coincidentally, it is often those same members who have performed extensive cost per shave per blade calculations, sometimes with Excel spreadsheets containing data diligently recorded over years. It makes me wonder what they would do if they actually did care about the cost of blades 😂
I find this also quite interesting since the shave soap is usually quite a bit more expensive than the blade per shave. A moderately expensive shave soap at $15 that lasts let's say 90 shaves costs 16.7 cent per shave. Just saying...

Of course to each their own, but I didn't realize DE guys had started canning blades after 1 shave these days. The best shaves are shaves 3-4 (with coated blades anyway), I thought everyone kinda knew that.
Yep, I'm with you. I typically go at least 3-4 (depending on the blade), but lately I've been tossing blades after the second use because I'm testing different blades in a new razor. Having just read through this entire thread, I am now feeling very much like the Ugly American for my indulgence given the dire straits of our brothers in Australia.

With De with feathers I get 12 shaves, other brands it varies. If I cant get at least 5 shaves off a blade to me it a trash blade. Injector blades I get around 15 good shaves. The most impressive is I have a Gem Personna Coated stainless steel blade with 35 successfull comfortable shaves on it.
20240325_221017.jpg

Top Bottom