What's new

Price of AC blades compared to DE blades?

There's some AC razors I've been curious to try, especially the Vector Lite, but one thing stopping me (aside from the razor prices and my lack of need for another razor) is the price of AC blades. I've been surprised how much more expensive they are compared to DE blades.

Can anyone comment on this? I've heard you get more shaves out of an AC blade than DE blade, but I've also heard of people getting lots of shaves out of a DE blade too, and I don't think the extreme longevity you sometimes hear about with DE blades is necessarily the norm. Also, tolerating a lot of shaves per blade isn't the same thing as enjoying a lot of shaves per blade.

I guess I'm curious about this issue because I don't usually see it discussed directly.

Also, tolerating a lot of shaves per blade isn't the same thing as enjoying a lot of shaves per blade.
Well stated. I am one and done with DE blades with a couple of exceptions and this is why. Ive never found one that I enjoyed using more than twice. By the third time I noticed a definite drop in performance with almost all of them. With AC blades I typically go 5 shaves. With the standard Vector I normally only shave 1 pass, so I can use them longer if needed. I find the Kai blades a little smoother than Feather, but Feather a little more durable. Obviously I’m not one to push a blade to its limit, but I find there’s a sizable difference between the two formats.

You may find it worthwhile to try a couple of different blades with a Razorock Hawk v3. I haven’t used the Vector Lite, but the standard Hawk plate is quite a bit milder than the standard Vector and should give an idea of blade performance before committing to the Vector.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
From my experience, there are two advantages to AC blades:

First, the blade is wider, so you need less passes to cover your face.

Second, blade life is dramatically longer. I have not found a DE blade that I can use more than four times comfortably, but, Feather AC Pros will last 8-10 shaves easily (according to many members here).

In actual numbers, I bin DE blades after three shaves and AC blades after six. Last purchases, I paid $68 for 100 AC Pros and $70 for 200 Lab Blues. The ACs are roughly twice the price, but, they last twice as long, so, my net cost per shave is the same.

As a final note, I use AC razors for ~25% of my shaves. I’m always going to prefer DE razors to ACs, but, I like my Gem (Blackland Sabre) better than either ($40 for 100 blades, but, I can get two full weeks of shaving from one blade if I push it).

Cheers!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m also a one and done guy with DE blades. I can push an AC blade to 6 shaves, but lately, I’ve been binning them after 3.

I love the AC format. I’ve been buying AC blades in boxes of 10 packages. There are 20 Kai unguarded blades in each package, so 200 blades for under $90. That brings the cost down substantially. I didn’t start doing that until I tried all the AC blades available and also made a firm commitment to the AC format. I have 4 AC razors and use them frequently.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
AC will be more expensive unless you really push them, but the added cost is worth it for me. Ultimately the cost per shave isn't an astronomical difference.

DE blades - 3 uses for me
AC blades - 10 (sweet spot for them, in my case, are shaves 5 through 10 as far as sharpness and comfort goes)

I am just getting started with AC shaving. In terms of shaves per blade, in my 15ish years of DE-shaving, I have never been able to get as high counts as some other members without accepting a significantly less enjoyable shave (and sometimes more irritation). So far (a couple of months in) I am finding the same to be true for AC shaving.

My typical number for DE blades is 3 (4 for Kais). So far, the number has been 5-6 shaves per AC-blade (Kai Milds, Feather Pros, Schick).

AC-shaving in general has brought about a substantially improved experience for me. Which has been surprising, since I was already very happy with my DE routine. In any case, even if the blades end up being a little more costly per shave (for me it's not a dramatic difference, since I was exclusively using Kais DE blades, which are already some of the most expensive ones available) it's worth it for me. Also, buying in bulk (Japanese Amazon has very reasonable international shipping prices in my experience) will take down the cost a bit. I'm waiting to see which AC blades I like the most before I do that myself.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I really only have one AC razor, the ATT X1. I've been up and down and all around on AC format and where I am at the moment is that it's not my first choice for head shaving. That's mostly because I look at my head and to me it looks round. :) I always dull the centre of an AC blade first because that's the part that actually does any work. If I try to shave at weird angles to use the sharpness toward the ends of the edge, that wonderful AC sharpness translates into scarification.

For me, in that razor, a Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink lasts 9 shaves. That's 35 per cent more shaves than an Astra SP; 50 per cent more shaves than a Dorco Prime. The funny thing (again, to me...) is that after 6 shaves or two weeks with the razor I start getting bored and want to change razors. But the thrifty Scot must grind out the last week!

But it's a great razor, and I try to accommodate myself to it.

O.H.

I don't have any experience with AC. But it seems to me that unless you specifically can use the wider cutting edge (I can't) you would get all the same advantages by going with a GEM SE razor/blade for much less cost. Not as many choices in blade brands but the Personna/GEM blades have been very good.

I did try to google but is AC not the same as "single edge" razors where people take DE blades and snap them in half effectively giving yourself two blades?

AC stands for Artist Club, from the line a Feather barber razors that use them. The blades themselves from Feather are called Feather Professional blades.

Just as an addition to the above, Feather actually makes a number of different AC blades. There’s the Professional, Pro Super, Pro Light, Pro Guard, and I feel like there’s another that’s on the tip of my tongue (fingers?) but the name isn’t coming to mind…

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The other Feather AC blade is the ProSoft.

And don’t forget about the Kai AC blades. Kai is the mother company, if you will, as they own Feather. I prefer both the Kai blades, guarded and upgraded but as always: YMMV.

I don't have any experience with AC. But it seems to me that unless you specifically can use the wider cutting edge (I can't) you would get all the same advantages by going with a GEM SE razor/blade for much less cost. Not as many choices in blade brands but the Personna/GEM blades have been very good.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of, although I'm kind of interested in AC blades because of the narrowness of the blade in the other dimension? Also it seems like some of the AC razors are lighter in weight than DE razors.

AC blades are not very price competitive versus De ones for me. I have used only few Ac razors and my Kai Protouch blade now is at 10 shaves. I don't think I get more shaves out of an AC blade vs a De blade, but if I get 20 good shaves out of a Feather / Kai Ac blade, then I would be OK with the price. 15 AC blades for 20 shaves each would cover almost a year for me.

Schick Ac blades are more affordable but I haven't had the chance to try them yet.

Still in my mind, spending 90 usd for 100 blades is a deal breaker for me. I would get 9000 de blades with that price.

Top Bottom