What's new

Better shave towels?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
No worries at all. I know after his last drop he still had a few towles left on his Etsy site, which was surprising, but I think he had posted a large number of them, and a few survived the intial rush. On a side note, if you do get one, make sure you wash it by itself, with an unscented detergent. They bleed color like crazy the first several washings. I throw a couple of color-catcher sheets in with the towel and they end up as brightly colored as the towel itself. Let it air dry.
Yikes. A high maintenance towel. With a break I. Period. 🤣

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have one good shaving towel" that for me is the ideal size .. but I can't seem to find anything else close to the same size. This one is obviously cotton terry (with a stain from Nick Relief Astringent) and is about 16" x 11". I've looked to get another, maybe somebody here will give me an idea

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
“Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
(Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)”
"Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Rather than towels I use face cloths from an Irish store called Dunnes. Despite being quite cheap they are the softest I have found and as I only really use them to dry my face after the shave they are plenty big enough for the task

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lancaster towels. Very soft, double thick, extremely absorbent, rather expensive at $25 plus shipping IMHO but hey, you only live once. (He sells on Etsy)
I bought one of these. I’m a fan of the artisan but honestly don’t get the hype around these Lancaster towels. I’m glad I tried it but for me the cotton towels are more comfortable on the face. Ymmv I guess.

If you are looking for a premium towel from Japan,
then Imabari towels is the one you want. I have seen
them at the finest Japanese traditional inns and they
really are crazy soft.
I had never heard of Imabari towels but they look quite special so I got a couple. They are indeed extremely soft and not bulky. For shaving I think for my preferences they might even be too soft and not quite as absorbent as I want. I like the bite of my linen towels better - they’re still nice and soft but you can really feel them pulling the water off your face and hands.

Hit Amazon up for a Turkish hand towel to see how they work out as well.
I got these towels and like them a lot. Really a bit too thick for my tastes in a face towel but, a really good one nonetheless. I would set the color with vinegar though before you wash them. The first washing with my brown ones bled a good amount of color.

I may end up getting some of the "theragcompany" brand towels off Amazon to try in a slightly thinner/lighter weight.

Another fan of linen here. I use a large undyed huckaback linen washcloth I got from Etsy, from either Latvia or Lithuania (I actually have a set of 8 of them or so). I can't remember offhand which vendor it was from because I order a lot of Baltic linen products and can't always remember which things I get from where without looking.

I love it though. It's the perfect size, it dries quickly, holds just the right amount of water, and is the perfect softness-exfoliating level.

20230929.jpeg

Les plus gentils que je connaisse !

There was a time I was looking for the ultimate towel, but I went a completely different direction some time ago - Washable Makeup Remover Microfiber Towels. They are quite absorbent, really wipe off the excess lather and can be single use per wash, 6in x 6in (15cm x 15cm), and cheap on Amazon ($9 per 12-pack, and they're still going strong).

proxy.php

I've been using Turkish cotton towels for my shaves lately, and they've been surprisingly awesome! Soft, absorbent, and they hold up well. Found some good deals at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Not the biggest Amazon or big box fan but my Turkish hand towels from Amazon have proven to be very good. These were listed as having a high fabric weight and they didn't disappoint.

Seems like they were ~$17 for 4 in a classic hand towel size. 👍

I heard all the buzz about Lancaster towels and was in the market, but they're in short supply. In the end I purchased several Korean microfiber detailing towels. These towels are super soft and dry my face, head and hands almost instantly. They do a great job preparing my face for the daily dose of aftershave and balm.

I heard all the buzz about Lancaster towels and was in the market, but they're in short supply. In the end I purchased several Korean microfiber detailing towels. These towels are super soft and dry my face, head and hands almost instantly. They do a great job preparing my face for the daily dose of aftershave and balm.
You can’t get a Lancaster towel. People will think you’re a YouTube shaver.

Shavington. You're a comic at heart. I'm too old to watch You Tube shaving videos. I was wet shaving before most of those guys were even a sparkle in there dad's eye. Besides, when it comes to purchasing unneeded or excessive amounts of shaving gear the most notorious and powerful influencer is B&B. I am only human and once a fellow traveler noted what fine towels they were the hive mind took over and I couldn't resist. To reiterate how weak I am, I have three perfectly good towels with which I am totally satisfied. That said, I still visit the Lancaster site looking for the next drop. Ugh.

Shavington. You're a comic at heart. I'm too old to watch You Tube shaving videos. I was wet shaving before most of those guys were even a sparkle in there dad's eye. Besides, when it comes to purchasing unneeded or excessive amounts of shaving gear the most notorious and powerful influencer is B&B. I am only human and once a fellow traveler noted what fine towels they were the hive mind took over and I couldn't resist. To reiterate how weak I am, I have three perfectly good towels with which I am totally satisfied. That said, I still visit the Lancaster site looking for the next drop. Ugh.
Well said. I respect a man who stands up for his towel.

Top Bottom