What's new

Better shave towels?

I was browsing another forum and noticed a favorable mention of Japanese Salux towels. I have been using a generic microfiber towel from Family Dollar, which while it works, isn't that great as a shave towel either.

What towels are better or best for shaving? What do you use? What do you like or dislike about the shave towels you have? Where should I be looking to pick up a better shave towel?

TIA,
Sid

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I shall read insights, thoughts, and recommendations with interest. I never considered the possibility of a shave towel. The use of a towel never enters into a shave for me, other than to dry the surface around the sink afterward, for which a cotton hand towel is ideal.

Very important topic. I’ve never understood why there isn’t a sub forum dedicated to shaving towel discussions. I think a satisfying shaving towel contributes more pleasure to the shaving experience than any razor, brush, soap, etc.

I do not think that I have ended my search for the perfect shaving towel, but I’ve become very fond of my Vieböck linen towels from Austria (Home - https://www.vieboeck.at/en/). I wasn’t sure I would gel with a linen towel but actually I am liking these better than any fluffy cotton type towel. Worth considering.

I soak these in hot water and hold to my face for a minute. They remind me of a badger brush, in the way they hold the hot water way longer than regular towels. These towels are inexpenisve , the perfect size and make great shaving towels IMO. You have to look around to find the perfect size and quantity you desire. I think the ones purchased are 8 inch by 8 Inch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230628_121255_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628_121255_Chrome.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Very important topic. I’ve never understood why there isn’t a sub forum dedicated to shaving towel discussions. I think a satisfying shaving towel contributes more pleasure to the shaving experience than any razor, brush, soap, etc.

I do not think that I have ended my search for the perfect shaving towel, but I’ve become very fond of my Vieböck linen towels from Austria (Home - https://www.vieboeck.at/en/). I wasn’t sure I would gel with a linen towel but actually I am liking these better than any fluffy cotton type towel. Worth considering.

Linen bedsheets are AWESOME! And they get softer over time. I love those Linen pillowcases I have.

To soften new linen and make it more absorbent, give it two quick washes, one with 1/4 cup of vinegar and one with 1/4 cup of baking soda.
I never tried that, but the ones I got were soft and absorbent after just one regular wash. I never thought about the linen after that. What I like about them is the cool, light feel they have. Even though they’re much thinner than the fluffy cotton towels I’m accustomed to I find these to be more absorbent and, I don’t know, they just feel nice on my face after a shave and they have a pleasing texture for drying off my precious brush tips. Hard to describe it.

Anyway, I just took a pic of one of my Vieböck towels, since I always feel guilty if I post without a picture. They’re about 100x50cm (“handtuch” - hand towel size), which I find a good size for a shaving towel.

A26E662C-97C7-4974-8A43-B948BC326522.jpeg

I've used Japanese Salux as shower wash cloth for nearly two decades (they're amazing at exfoliating and in the process increasing blood flow) but never knew they could serve as shave towel. What am I missing?

Otherwise, I use a (hand size) 100% cotton towel when I shave. I soak it with hot water, rinse and apply on the part of the face to be shaved to soften the hair. It emulates the barbershop experience. It does wonders.

I bought a single white Land's End cotton hand towel for shaving. It worked fine the two times I used it, but became a hassle moving it back and forth with the other towels since I don't have much hanging space.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Important topic. I use a timeless towel occasionally but it feels on the thin side. I use a towel only to dry my face after the last cold water splash but always thought that a high quality towel dedicated to that would be awesome. Ordinarily I just use a hand towel.

Okay I gotta say I want some of those. Do you live in Europe? Doesn’t look from their website that they have any US sellers.

For me, flat woven 100% cotton, or blended with flax (real) linen. I usually buy a bundle at Ikea or Trader Joe's, sold as kitchen towels.

I do have some cotton and cotton blend shave towels with a nap, but they mostly are photo backgrounds.

In the den, the flat woven towels are known to be reserved for my use. The napped hand towels are shared.

I use 'my' towels for drying my face, hands, and the various pieces of gear. There is always at least one dry shave towel close at hand.

other than to dry the surface around the sink afterward, for which a cotton hand towel is ideal.
I have 2 sinks (one side for my wife and one side for me). I used to use a towel for drying till I discovered a better solution (for me). Paper towels! I bought a countertop dispenser and put it on my side. Works great!
OK, back to the topic of shave towels! LOL!!

For the shave I'm good with small 100% cotton towels. I usually wait for any sales that Macy's has on any given holiday.
They'll always markdown good high quality towels that last. I won't only buy shave towels on those sales. I'll buy kitchen, bath etc.. as well!

The centre green-striped barber's towels can vary considerably in construction and quality.
I have some of the common ones, untagged, that are sewn at the edges to prevent fraying but not hemmed.
They haven't come apart yet, but they do shed some lint with every wash.
I've a much better one, tagged "Partex" RN # 74072 Made in India SR 1-15, which is hemmed and of better construction. It is woven of higher quality thread and doesn't pill as the cheaper ones do.
They make good steaming towels, which I believe is primarily their purpose.
They are also routinely used to wipe an open razor clean during use.
A barber would also clean up your face with one when finished, but at home I prefer to rinse my face clean and dry with a plusher towel.
These towels are and have always been simple utilitarian items.
A luxury barber's towel sounds like an oxymoron, but if there isn't such a thing yet, it's only a matter of time...

Top Bottom