What's new

Better shaves AWAY from the forum?

It's been a while since I have been here.
And my shaves have been great.
You know why?
Because I haven't been here 🤣
In fact, the less I get on the forum or watch my favorite YouTubers showing off new razors/blades/brushes/creams/soaps - the more i tend to stick to the few things that I know works for me perfectly.
Soon as I get on here and start reading about the new "greatest shave thing since sliced bread" - well, I just have to try it at that point.
Then all my variables are thrown off trying to make everything work well together.
Then I get all kinds of razor bumps and irritation and whatnot.
Then I get back on the forum and someone mentions - "oh, the new things works best with this and that."
And so I go and get this and that and go further and further down the hole with infinite more variations.
Been doing this since 2006 LOL.
Anyone else had this happen to them?
Surely I'm not the only one 🤣🪒

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There is a lot of sense in this. I wonder if the continual changing of soaps, razors, blades etc. in the ongoing search for the perfect shave, whatever that is, is the very thing that stops many from finding it. There is much to be said for keeping a small stock of favoured items, being content with them alone, and learning to use them to their best. Of course variety in itself can be beneficial but too much is surely not. We see many members amass a huge number of items only to later downsize their inventory, perhaps when the truth dawns on them 👍

Yep, I chased the perfect shave like Homer Simpson chased a donut truck. I bought this and that and that and this. My head was spinning with different razors, preps, soaps, creams and straight razors. I had irritation and my neck was an irritated red bumpy mess. I finally limited my shaves to one specific razor, cream and blade. For me it was all about pressure, I could never let the razor do the work. It took some time but I figured it out with an injector and that was the game changer. Now, I can shave with almost any razor, but it was a process.

I just enjoy the brotherhood aspect :)
maybe to say become one who shares his gear not one who has to get ideas :) be the leader not the follower :) read that with a fun light hearted smile of course :)

I might get ideas of things to try but I stick to what works for me anyway and just share in the fun
what I used that day etc.
Folks finding similarities etc...

I Understand the lighthearted approach at the post you made so just sharing light hearted back :)

but would say my shaves have gotten better hanging out as a lot of it is the fun side of sharing going both ways and NOT about the gear for me as much as fellow shave nerds using the gear :)

I think this underlines what we usually tell beginners. Stay with one razor, blade....... for an extended period to learn the technique. I think you showed in a slightly other way that when you stayed away and was not caught up into getting the next new razor..... you used what you had and you learned the tools very well and were able to get great shaves from it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I did stay with just one AC razor for my first 5.5 months here... But I have to say, I've learned a lot here and the small razor collection I've assembled brings me joy.... Almost all modern razors, each one a pleasure to use. I'm getting better shaves as a direct result of hanging around this great group of people.

I love the forums...and...I see what you're saying. In fact, today I made an adjustment from what I normally do and received a less than stellar shave. My favorite razor right now is the Henson AL+, BUT with a stainless steel handle for more weight. Because of the love of Karve on these forums I have thought about getting either the aluminum Bison or a variation of the Overlander. So I thought to myself, "Use your Henson with the original aluminum handle and see how it goes with a very lightweight razor." I did that this morning, and while the shave was fine, it wasn't great. So I either need to stick with the Henson+ with the SS handle, buy a Henson++ head and put it on an SS handle, or consider a SS Overlander.

...or I could just stick with what works. :)

There is a lot of sense in this. I wonder if the continual changing of soaps, razors, blades etc. in the ongoing search for the perfect shave, whatever that is, is the very thing that stops many from finding it. There is much to be said for keeping a small stock of favoured items, being content with them alone, and learning to use them to their best. Of course variety in itself can be beneficial but too much is surely not. We see many members amass a huge number of items only to later downsize their inventory, perhaps when the truth dawns on them 👍
Quite honestly, this is why I personally find great value in participating in SOTM, FFFMM, and other monthly restraints; though I'm sure that's not the best descriptor.

I find that it allows me to engage with less variables up front and to focus on technique.
Next month, I look forward to dialing it all in again 🍻

I can certainly relate to wanting to try new things after spending time on places like this. I generally don't change the razor or blade, because most often when I do I end up with a worse outcome. But I will switch up brushes occasionally, and soaps/creams frequently. So on that front - I can totally concur that hanging out on places like this can send you down a rabbit hole. Especially since most soaps aren't budget breaking purchases, I find myself saying "why not?" and just ordering one on a whim to try it out, which is often followed by another because I couldn't decide on a scent lol. And unlike with razors, most of the soaps are in fact pretty damn good so they don't give you a bad shave.

The result of all that is that I now have a cabinet full of stuff that might last me a lifetime if I never bought another. Im trying to get my 19YO son to start shaving with soaps and creams instead of an electric razor, so I can pawn off all the stuff that I started with that I'm not loving anymore 😁. I've got proraso turning yellow in the tube (and plastic tub), full tubs of AoS creams that will take forever to use up and they just aren't my favorite anymore, things like TOBS peppermint that are seasonal, etc. First world problem for sure, but the experience is just SOOO much nicer when you've got a nice scent and a rich creamy lather that's making you happy at the moment, and changing frequently enough to keep things interesting.

Shaving is repetitive, and for me it becomes a mundane chore again if I get bored with the products. I once bought about a dozen samples of Sterling soaps, and it took so long to use them up that I don't really enjoy Sterling soaps anymore (sort of the same fate as proraso and AoS). So on the other side of the equation - I am thankful for places like this to keep me informed of what's out there so I can keep the boredom monster out of the den.

My story is very similar to the OPs. Came here and bought a bunch of stuff and was constantly switching to new razors, soaps, etc. and not getting the best of shaves. Then life got busy and I didn't come here as much and pretty much just stuck to one razor and a handful of soaps for about a year and got wonderful shaves. Now I'm back much more frequently but have learned to resist the temptation to buy new things (well, most of the time lol) and avoid some threads that might be tempting.

You are right. This is one of the reasons I've kept my hardware assortment narrow to three razors and brushes (two with identical knots). Had to train myself on the optimal way of using each one. My moderate razor requires a modified technique compared to my mildest one. No issue with my dozen or so hard soaps as these have similar lathering characteristics. Did have to learn that thicker lather works best for me with creams versus slicker wetter lather from my soaps.

I can definitely relate to the OP. Since joining my razors and brushes have mushroomed into double digits. I am content with the hobby aspect of shaving though and I get wonderful shave with just about every razor I have. I also feel there is absolutely no need or want for another one.

I am sticking with one soap a month to eliminate too much choosing each day and I use blades for extended times as well. I rotate brushes to allow drying and I am less enamoured by brushes anyway. I like them a lot, but it’s also a utensil to get the lather on my face. Razors are not weak spot. I searched for effectiveness and found it very early on. I knew then that I am not buying them to get the best effectiveness (although that certainly plays a role), but because I like variety or because I wanted to have a specialty in my collection (like SB and OC of the same razor if possible). I am kind of saturated and simply enjoying my rotation.

My 17YO is into wet shaving too but doesn’t see it as a hobby (yet) and I think he is reluctant to making it a hobby because he knows there is already a collection waiting. Or at least enough for him to get by!

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom