What's new

What are the better economical shave mugs these days?

Old_Spice_shave_mug.jpg

I am wondering about mugs like this one? What are my better options in a ceramic mug that is ~$25 or less at my door? Or perhaps something like a Burt's Bees with the handle on the side.

I'm a bit lost in the collector aspects of why some mugs are worth a small fortune and some aren't. The particular mug in my picture was sold for $25 with shipping. Is that a good deal, average, or too much? I really don't know at this point.

And I wonder about other similar mugs from different brands that might be a worthy addition to a shave den like mine? Thoughts?

TIA,
Sid

I like to pick up cups/mugs at Goodwill. They are one dollar. One weekend a month they are half price. They are nothing special. I do have some collectable vintage shave mugs but don't use them much.

There are some ceramic jumbo mugs you can get from places like Crate & Barrel or IKEA. These also show up in charity shops, etc. You can make your own lids from large cork coasters or whatnot.

1710782417605.png

This mug costs around $6 or $7, IIRC.

To my thinking, a shaving mug and a lathering bowl are two different things. A mug is for putting an entire puck into the bottom and keeping in there.
20240225_093248.jpg

Like that Scalpmaster. It is plastic and has a contoured ring in the bottom to hold a puck in place. Mine has a shaved down Arko stick in it, pressed in to fit, and solidified by pouring hot water in and letting it sit overnight. Those Scalpmasters go for $4 online.
20240223_111123.jpg

Or you can improvise. That "K" mug is a coffee mug. My deceased Dad's. His name was Kevin. I was searching through some boxes for an Old Spice mug I'd bought at an antique store ($20), but lighted upon this first. Why not? I use a thermos for my coffee. And I remember Dad when I use it, like this morning. Mine is fitted with a puck of RazoRock Black Label, shaved and fitted same as the Arko. I want modify it with some Super-Glued stuff like maybe thumb tacks to keep the soap from spinning as I lather.
20231127_172121~2.jpg

That is a lathering bowl. From Yaqi. And I think this is more for adding an amount of cream, like Proraso, or a sliver of soap like from those jumbo blocks of Cella and lathering up. Not for permanently holding a puck. Because even if you form fit it, it will soon be spinning in the bowl.

For the record, I prefer mugs to bowls.

Not long ago I saw two silver plate shave mugs advertised fo sale :w00t:

Number one, yeah nice but I'll no payin fo that! Lud!

Number two, :lol: look numpty, thats a freakin two handle kids christening cup. 🏋️‍♂️

View attachment 1814633
That is a lathering bowl. From Yaqi. And I think this is more for adding an amount of cream, like Proraso, or a sliver of soap like from those jumbo blocks of Cella and lathering up. Not for permanently holding a puck. Because even if you form fit it, it will soon be spinning in the bowl.

For the record, I prefer mugs to bowls.
Got suck a Lather Bowl from AliExpress, like $5.00 USD Delivered, many colors available.

Got suck a Lather Bowl from AliExpress, like $5.00 USD Delivered, many colors available.
Don't remember what mine cost, but it was from the same place. They have ceramic versions of these, but the lighter weight and shatter resistance of plastic (and less cost) made more sense to me.

But I didn't understand the difference between a mug and a bowl.

20231205_192611~2.jpg

I attempted to fit a soap puck in it, thinking the molded ridges in the bottom were there to hold soap in place while you lather it. That isn't what those ridges are for!

What are you wanting the mug for: display, hold soap, lather in, soap brush?

I use a plastic/rubber Marvy mug for soaking my brush. My soap is in a separate dish. My ceramic OS mug holds Q-tips, nail clippers and tweezers.

Mine looks the same as @gdawg55 post above. It's the perfect mug. Simply sturdy, unbreakable and from an old time shave company.

51B7NTBWCkL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Top Bottom