What's new

Better shave towels?

If you are looking for a premium towel from Japan,
then Imabari towels is the one you want. I have seen
them at the finest Japanese traditional inns and they
really are crazy soft.

The Razor Company (TRC) up until recently had their own brand microfibre shave towels available, which are very nice as well as the Lancaster Razor Works Black Sheep towels. However, as I'm in the UK I also found the towels from the Personal Barber and Apothecary 87, do a very good job as well.

These towels are and have always been simple utilitarian items.
A luxury barber's towel sounds like an oxymoron, but if there isn't such a thing yet, it's only a matter of time...

😲 When I graduated college and headed off to college, one of the graduation gifts I got from an Aunt that was "politely" received was a pair of really nice light blue towels. What can I say, I was a normal teenage boy from the farm and just didn't get it.

After using just those two towels for college and after I graduated, I had an epiphany! Those plush towels were simply awesome and a much better gift than anything else I had received!!!

In my mid-50's, I finally had to relegate them to backup status as they were becoming a bit worn and thin, even for this bachelor! When I think back about all the cheap laundromats and apartment complex washers and soaps I used, I am stunned those towels were still serviceable after so much abuse at the hands of this farm kid!

Okay I gotta say I want some of those. Do you live in Europe? Doesn’t look from their website that they have any US sellers.
Yes, I live in Europe and I bought mine directly from Vieböck. I assume they ship worldwide but I haven’t checked. Alternatively there must be other good linen towel vendors in the US that have very good products. Vieböck are a very old linen millers in Austria since the 1830s so I guess they won’t be exactly the same as other brands. I heard about them via a recommendation from another member here.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to know who makes the best linen towels, or what makes one better than another, but I was very happy with these.

Went down a rabbit hole a little bit and started looking at Turkish towels. Amazon has some nice options in the $25~$35 range for 4~6 hand towels in a 600~700GSM weight Turkish cotton.

I saw one that was 50% cotton and 50% bamboo. Not sure if bamboo is good or bad but, my limited experience suggests bamboo isn't absorbant or fluffy. Maybe it is a great bed sheet material but, I'm not tossing ~$30 towards Amazon to try some bamboo hand towels without some strong recommendations from people I trust (not Amazon reviews generally which have some of the most biased or dumbest people around writing reviews - stunningly bad reviews for some products I have researched).

Any comments regarding traditional Turkish hand towels for the Shave Dens?

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.” It is because of this quote that Towel Day was first celebrated on May 25, 2001, two weeks after Douglas Adams' death.

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.” It is because of this quote that Towel Day was first celebrated on May 25, 2001, two weeks after Douglas Adams' death.
“Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
(Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)”

Heard back from this company:

Both of these were recommended as good options for me. Their glass cleaner rags also looked nice for shining up a razor or cleaning a mirror.

Hit Amazon up for a Turkish hand towel to see how they work out as well.

I purchased some basic dish towels from $ Tree for $1.25 (USD) each. They work well for me.

I don't have a Dollar Tree anywhere close but, the cheap dish towels I have from Family Dollar have a plasticky feel on my face and aren't terribly absorbent so they tend to smear shave cream versus wiping it off my face. Wetting one to rinse my face doesn't work well either.

I'm hoping the cotton Turkish hand towels I ordered from Amazon fix these issues!

The shop is closed. ☹️
Sorry, this shop is temporarily closed. It is time for a family vacation.
Store will re-open after July 5.
Thank you all!
Andriy

He's been a bit more active on Instgram the last couple of months and had a big drop of new products not too long ago.
Prior to that he had only been doing fund raisers for Ukraine - a soap collaboration, and blue & gold towels.

TRC had a few of his towels on sale recently, but they appear to have all sold out now.

Thank you all!
Andriy

He's been a bit more active on Instgram the last couple of months and had a big drop of new products not too long ago.
Prior to that he had only been doing fund raisers for Ukraine - a soap collaboration, and blue & gold towels.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thank you all!
Andriy

Sorry for posting incomplete info.
I do remember some time back seeing he was out of stock.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
While searching for perfect shave towels, I found some nice ones for my wife and me for kitchen use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PRWJH41/

The 16x28" is a helpful size. They are very absorbent and dry quickly. They wash up well.... spots seem to come out easily.

I ended up using one of these on the bathroom vanity top and another for final drying of my razors. The darker colors help me wash fewer M5 white nylon washers down the drain. <eg>

I still use the bamboo towel set for my shower. They are plush and feel good on my body and face. I don't actually dry my face after I finish shaving. I wash off the soap, then add my post-shave products with my face still wet.

An additional note: I use one of the 8x8" microfiber cloths for washing my face. They are thinner and get inside and around my ears easier than the plush washcloth that is part of the bamboo towel set.

Sorry for posting incomplete info.
I do remember some time back seeing he was out of stock.
No worries at all. I know after his last drop he still had a few towles left on his Etsy site, which was surprising, but I think he had posted a large number of them, and a few survived the intial rush. On a side note, if you do get one, make sure you wash it by itself, with an unscented detergent. They bleed color like crazy the first several washings. I throw a couple of color-catcher sheets in with the towel and they end up as brightly colored as the towel itself. Let it air dry.

Top Bottom