What's new

Is it the blade or is it technique?

I am sorry if this question has been asked (I can't imagine it hasn't been), but the search tool is not cooperating with me on this.

I have read a few articles that suggest using a variety pack of blades when first starting out, which that is what I did. My question is:

How do you know if you are producing a bad shave from faulty technique, or a bad blade for ones own style?

Will a bad blade choice just not produce a close shave, or could it also produce razor burn? Which is what I am experiencing.

Being as new as I am I am sure it is more technique than blade, I guess I just would like to know what type of problems can occur with a bad blade choice.

FYI: I am using Green 7 O'Clocks with an E89.

Brian

Hi and welcome to B&B.

If you are starting out with DE the best thing is consistency until you have got the hang of blade angle etc. once your getting a comfortable shave with one blade then its time to try out the rest of the sample pack.

I did this starting with Derby blades the razor came with, pack of 5 blades lasted me a few weeks in which time I had got the hang of it. Then I started changing blades before settling on Astra's as my go to blade.

You don't really know at first, which is why a lot of folks recommend the 30 day rule. I actually recommend a modified 30 day rule. Try one of each of these blades up front, 2 shaves each (Astra SP, Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Silver Blue, Derby, Feather). Pick the one that feels best and buy enough for 30 shaves (notice I said shaves, not days). Use those for the next 30 consecutive shaves to develop technique, then go back and try others again if you want to.

... How do you know if you are producing a bad shave from faulty technique, or a bad blade for ones own style?
You don't.

This idea behind sampler packs is to help new users to choose a nice blade for them. For that to work you have to have a reliable technique.

A reliable technique you get by sticking to the same setup for a few months and practicing. Of course sometimes you might have an epiphany, but don't expect that to happen...

Enjoy your shaves. Also enjoy collecting razors and soaps and brushes and... well, you get it. :001_smile

Razor burn is most likely caused by either too much pressure on the razor or the wrong angle. The blades you are using are pretty good blades and should provide a very decent shave. Stick with one blade for a while and concentrate on technique for a while.
Do good prep, when you think your beard is fully hydrated go another five minutes, then shave with NO PRESSURE. and watch the products used after shaving. Less is more in many people's experience.

Good luck and hopefully that issue will be corrected with some experience.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Brian; As has been mentioned, keep in mind that the first shave with any blade does not predict future results. Stay with a razor/blade combo until your technique improves with experience. Changing too often confuses things; Allow yourself to enjoy your progress.

In my case, poor technique is usually the cause of an uncomfortable shave. Rather than immediately switching to another razor, blade, soap or whatever, I try to identify if I'm actually doing something wrong (pressure, blade angle, etc.).

It is funny though how certain gear doesn't work with certain faces.

When starting, most shave issues are technique related. It took me 3-4 weeks to develop consistent, reliable, repeatable close shaves. Be patient. Stick with one brand of blade through a whole pack and then venture out.

Good luck!!

When starting, most shave issues are technique related. It took me 3-4 weeks to develop consistent, reliable, repeatable close shaves. Be patient. Stick with one brand of blade through a whole pack and then venture out.

Good luck!!

+1.... once u can get DFS without even trying, I think then you are ready to move on to other blades.

Unfortunately, I was arrogant and went ahead and tried different blades regardless. Using the rotate blades while learning, gave me a bad experience with personna blues. I've only been shaving for a little over a month now and my technique has been pretty solid where I can get a CCS or DFS in ~10 minutes.

After reviewing 6 blades in a row, I would highly recommend using a 5 pack of Shark - it is sharp and forgiving. Going thru the 5 pack (3 shaves per blade) should allow you to get a better feel for technique and the confidence to venture out and find the perfect blade for you.

I got money on technique if you're just starting out. I started using a DE in December and I am still working my way through a 30pk of Astra SP's. The quality of shaves can range from horrible to excellent from my experience it all depends on technique. When I started out it was obviously worse than it is now and I have been gradually getting better shave by shave.

For now I would focus on your technique and try to keep what you are using consistent so there isn't too many variables to throw you off so you can more easily master what you are using. Once you are comfortable I would start changing things up if that is what you want to do.

Razor burn is most likely caused by either too much pressure on the razor or the wrong angle. The blades you are using are pretty good blades and should provide a very decent shave. Stick with one blade for a while and concentrate on technique for a while.
Do good prep, when you think your beard is fully hydrated go another five minutes, then shave with NO PRESSURE. and watch the products used after shaving. Less is more in many people's experience.

Good luck and hopefully that issue will be corrected with some experience.

What Dion said. And welcome to B&B.

I agree that its important to keep things simple when starting out. I stuck with one blade (Derby), one razor (Edwin Jagger), one brush (Kent) and one soap (Tabac) for the first month (I shave every day). Try to relax, take your time and enjoy your shaves. I found this approach to be very effective. As your tecnique improves so will your confidence and you can start trying different things.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You don't really know at first, which is why a lot of folks recommend the 30 day rule. I actually recommend a modified 30 day rule. Try one of each of these blades up front, 2 shaves each (Astra SP, Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Silver Blue, Derby, Feather). Pick the one that feels best and buy enough for 30 shaves (notice I said shaves, not days). Use those for the next 30 consecutive shaves to develop technique, then go back and try others again if you want to.

That's great advice. I am going to start giving that advice, as well.

I'll add that you just ought to do whatever you enjoy. True, your technique may not move along quite as rapidly, but you won't care because you are enjoying yourself. You'll work out the technique, one way or the other, so do what you enjoy.

I do not like the "stick with one" rule up front. You might be stuck with your nemesis blade right up front, and that's just not worth suffering through.

Good Question! Personally I think most blades are decent, the finer points a new shaver won't see. Unless you really "hate" the one you are using stick with it and work on your method. Once you have that figured out you will be able to get a good shave with any blade but some might "feel" better than others. IMHO Astras are a good choice for starting your routine.

This suggestion is a great idea - you get to try a few samples of a few well-known brands, rule out anything that obviously isn't for you, and then build your technique with whatever turns out to be the best/most comfortable for you.

If your issues are coming from your current brand just not being right for you, which does happen, this experiment will let you know.

I have 5 shaves on free Derby blades and 2 on Astra SP blades. The first five were full of nicks and razor burn. 6 and 7 had very little razor burn and no nicks or cuts. I'm sure my technique has not improved much between 5th and 6th shaves so I will assume the blades have something to do with it.

Thanks all for the great advice, I think I will stick with this 5 pack, maybe even move on to another 5 of the same blade then start to test drive others.

Brian

In addition to razor and blade combination , beard prep is critical.
-I start with a warm water face wash ,on a wet face ,use a lotion(I use corn huskers) add some generic hair conditioner (softens beard) then a light amount of ARKO shave stick.
-Then shower with this on and rub it in good and rinse off at end of shower.
-When over sink another warm water face wash,re apply lotion and shave soap making sure its wet and slippery then shave.
I hope this helps

In addition to razor and blade combination , beard prep is critical.
-I start with a warm water face wash ,on a wet face ,use a lotion(I use corn huskers) add some generic hair conditioner (softens beard) then a light amount of ARKO shave stick.
-Then shower with this on and rub it in good and rinse off at end of shower.
-When over sink another warm water face wash,re apply lotion and shave soap making sure its wet and slippery then shave.
I hope this helps

Hair conditioner may be doing the opposite of what you want and actually strengthening the hair when you want to weaken it depending on what it contains.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/How_to_pre-shave_prep

Personally I face lather and let it sit after a good shower while I get everything else in order to shave. And I do that very slowly and take my sweet time so I have a few minutes of the lather sitting on my face after showering, than I rinse that off and apply another lather and shave.

Top Bottom