What's new

Long Time DE Shaver Needs New Blades - Sharp and Smooth

I have been wetshaving for over 15 years and after awhile I stuck to using the same blade for over 10 years with few exceptions (e.g. travel). My blade of choice for many years has been the yellow pack, MIR 7 O'clock Sharp Edge.

For various reasons, I'm going to stop using this blade and want to look for a replacement that is NOT MIR. I prefer sharp, but smooth blades. Not interested in weird uncoated blades, blades that are not sharp enough, or blades that supposedly get through X number of shaves. I use blades once for a 2 pass shave and toss them. Been doing it this way for years and have no interest in changing it.

Anyway, I don't have the patience to try out one of those big sampler packs with 3 types of decent-ish blades and another 10 or 20 junk low end packs of blades. I'm not looking for NOS or HTF or OOP blades either. I'm looking for blades that will be available for awhile, that are consistent, where I can purchase 50-100 at a time.

Blades that worked well for me in the past:
  • UK made Wilkinson Sword
  • MIR Gillette types: Polsilver, Sharp Edge, Super Iridium, etc.
  • Gillette "Swedes"
  • some rebranded blades "Made in Germany" - not sure who the OEM was...Personna?
Blades that have NOT worked well for me in the past:
  • Derby (tore up my face, very uncomfortable)
  • Astra Superior Platinum (not good enough, mediocre)
  • Dorco (too dull, tugged and pulled)
  • "Crystal" aka Israeli Personna (pulled, dull)
  • Various cheap freebies from India, Egypt, etc. thrown in with shave supply orders. (generally uncomfortable, tear up skin)

Blades that I plan to try soon again:
  • Kai
  • Feather
  • Note: I honestly don't remember how I liked these, but I remember them being very sharp and Feather unforgiving of sloppy technique.

I have read that blades from India have gotten better in the last decade or so and that Gillette is moving more production there. Is this true, or are these just more low-end blades? Which ones are sharp and smooth?

I have also read that German blades have improved big time since the days of low-quality Merkur blades and the like. Can anyone comment on this? Are the new Personna blades out of Germany any good?

Is there anything else out there I may have missed? Again, not interested in more MIR blades.

TYIA.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been wetshaving for over 15 years and after awhile I stuck to using the same blade for over 10 years with few exceptions (e.g. travel). My blade of choice for many years has been the yellow pack, MIR 7 O'clock Sharp Edge.

For various reasons, I'm going to stop using this blade and want to look for a replacement that is NOT MIR. I prefer sharp, but smooth blades. Not interested in weird uncoated blades, blades that are not sharp enough, or blades that supposedly get through X number of shaves. I use blades once for a 2 pass shave and toss them. Been doing it this way for years and have no interest in changing it.

Anyway, I don't have the patience to try out one of those big sampler packs with 3 types of decent-ish blades and another 10 or 20 junk low end packs of blades. I'm not looking for NOS or HTF or OOP blades either. I'm looking for blades that will be available for awhile, that are consistent, where I can purchase 50-100 at a time.

Blades that worked well for me in the past:
  • UK made Wilkinson Sword
  • MIR Gillette types: Polsilver, Sharp Edge, Super Iridium, etc.
  • Gillette "Swedes"
  • some rebranded blades "Made in Germany" - not sure who the OEM was...Personna?
Blades that have NOT worked well for me in the past:
  • Derby (tore up my face, very uncomfortable)
  • Astra Superior Platinum (not good enough, mediocre)
  • Dorco (too dull, tugged and pulled)
  • "Crystal" aka Israeli Personna (pulled, dull)
  • Various cheap freebies from India, Egypt, etc. thrown in with shave supply orders. (generally uncomfortable, tear up skin)

Blades that I plan to try soon again:
  • Kai
  • Feather
  • Note: I honestly don't remember how I liked these, but I remember them being very sharp and Feather unforgiving of sloppy technique.

I have read that blades from India have gotten better in the last decade or so and that Gillette is moving more production there. Is this true, or are these just more low-end blades? Which ones are sharp and smooth?

I have also read that German blades have improved big time since the days of low-quality Merkur blades and the like. Can anyone comment on this? Are the new Personna blades out of Germany any good?

Is there anything else out there I may have missed? Again, not interested in more MIR blades.

TYIA.
I always like this survey that was from last year I believe and it is reasonable accurate.

I made this up a photo chart a few years back and have not updated it but it might help folks who ask for advice.
I enjoy the blades in the sharp and smooth slightly in the Sharpest Colum and they work well for myself, as you can see GSB (sharp and smoooth with reasonable longevity) are my favorite for DE razors but every one is different!
(Old archived photo and should give you a few ideas and will be in the ball park.)
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Interesting questions. You ask a lot of them, and indicate quite particular requirements, so not sure if my input will be helpful for you, but will give it a go.
First off, it would be helpful to know what razors you most commonly use. As you will know, a blade is not just a blade, it will perform differently depending on razor.

One blade that has been a revelation to me is the Concord. I got to know these blades here at B&B, see this message and after:

Concords are supposedly identical to Bluebirds, and both are in turn supposedly made by the same factory that also manufactures Derby.
Don't judge them in terms of the Derby name though! Concords and Bluebirds are sharp and smooth blades, but work particularly well in razors that clamp them down good, supposedly because they are very thin blades. Whatever the physics behind the performance, I have used them in razors like the Henson, RR SS Lupo (.72), Merkur 37C, all with very good results. Very sharp, yet smooth, as you ask.

I get 2 or 3 shaves out of them max, but like you I often toss a blade after just one single shave. There is something nice and hygienic about loading a fresh new blade for every shave, and the Concords and Bluebirds are cheap. I purchase all my blades in hundred packs, all at razorbladesclub.com, excellent prices, fast shipping, huge selection, can highly recommend it.

Another blade I have used a lot, mostly in my Merkur 34, is the Bolzano. I'd say, if you enjoy German made Wilkinson Sword blades, chances are you might enjoy Bolzanos too.

One of my favourites among more mainstream blades, again a good sharp/smooth combo, is the Gillette Rubie. I have never paired a Rubie with a razor where it did not perform well.

Those are three that spring to mind first off. If you can be more specific about razors I might come up with a few more suggestions

Last edited:
Personna made in the USA.

There are some Gillette 7 O'clock (black evelope) made in India, they are good.

Treet Carbon steel....smooth for ONE use. I got some coated but haven't tried.

I will guess, you will like the Kai.

Most of the others are either from India or Egypt

Treet Carbon steel....smooth for ONE use.

I often use, and enjoy, the Treet Carbon steel blades, also known as "Black Beauties". Based on what you wrote however, I would NOT recommend these. They are "smooth", but not very sharp. If you want to try some Treets, the Treet Platinums might be more suitable. I haven't tried them myself (yet), but have seen good reviews of them

If you can be more specific about razors I might come up with a few more suggestions

I don't use weird razors and mostly stopped using vintage razors years ago. 98% of my shaves are with an EJ DE89L for many years now. Occasionally I will use a Merkur 34C.

I have tough beard hair and sensitive skin, which is why I started wetshaving in the first place. I have no interest in using inconsistent blades, blades that rust from simple storage in a closet, etc. Only interested in blades that are both sharp and smooth and feel great right away.

I often use, and enjoy, the Treet Carbon steel blades, also known as "Black Beauties". Based on what you wrote however, I would NOT recommend these. They are "smooth", but not very sharp. If you want to try some Treets, the Treet Platinums might be more suitable. I haven't tried them myself (yet), but have seen good reviews of them

No experience with recent product from that brand, but I did try a carbon blade years ago and thought it was horrible, very uncomfortable. Not sure I want to mess with that.

Wilkinson Sword German and Personna Platinum are both excellent

What is a good retailer for these? I'd like to avoid counterfeits and would prefer to buy from a U.S. based retailer. I am seeing Chinese made Wilkinson for sale at some retailers and big boxes. Are the German ones still being made?

You don't want a sampler of mediocre blades, so why not make your own sampler? You can order any combination of tucks adding up to 100+ blades from the Razor Blades Club and shipping will be included at no extra charge.

It would be hard for us to pick the right blade for you, but here's some good ones that meet your requirements:

• BIC Chrome Platinum (Greece)
  • Personna Comfort Coated (USA) aka "Lab Blues"
  • Personna Platinum (Germany)
  • Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
  • Gillette 7 O'clock Black (India)
  • Lord Silver Star (Egypt)
I'd not be so quick to dismiss Dorco, since they make some pretty good ones, like the Dorco Prime (Vietnam). It's one of the best value blades out there.

You might want to also try Treet 7 Days Platinum (Pakistan). That's one of their better ones, IMHO.

Czech made Tiger blades (also sold under Tatra name).

Come in platinum and stainless.

Tiger platinums were my first “smooth” blades I ever tried out of the dozen or so big-name brands I tried over the past ten years.

They are double wrapped and are the tightest fitting blade in my FOCS.

Reactions: ADP
I don't use weird razors and mostly stopped using vintage razors years ago. 98% of my shaves are with an EJ DE89L for many years now. Occasionally I will use a Merkur 34C.

I have tough beard hair and sensitive skin, which is why I started wetshaving in the first place. I have no interest in using inconsistent blades, blades that rust from simple storage in a closet, etc. Only interested in blades that are both sharp and smooth and feel great right away

Well, in that case I will stick with the one recommendation I already made, the Gillette Ruby.
Or, if you get along with Wilkinson Sword, why not just stick with that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, in that case I will stick with the one recommendation I already made, the Gillette Ruby.
Or, if you get along with Wilkinson Sword, why not just stick with that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rubies are MIR AFAIK which is a no-go as stated upthread. RE: Wilks, my main experience is with UK-made Wilks, which haven't been available in many years. I asked about the quality of the German ones and know there are Chinese Wilks out there too. I have not tried either of those.

Ordered a bunch of blades from RBC and IB.

I got 100 Feathers plus some smaller amounts of different blades to try. I got some of the suggestions made here.

Will report back when the blades arrive. Whatever I like best I will order in a larger amount and will probably split shave time with Feather eventually as I don't like constantly swapping brands of blades.

Thanks.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like Lab Blues enough to be working my way through 100 and planning on another 100 when these run low. I am about half way through and get about two weeks per blade.

lasta

Blade Biter
Hard to beat MIR Gillettes, best blades ever made IMO...

I find these half a step below Gillette, but if you insist on alternatives in the sharper yet smooth range:

Treet 7 Days - Pakistan
Dorco Prime - Vietnam
Bic Chrome Platinum - Greece
KAI - Japan

You already have Feather, so cheers!

If it makes you feel better, the Russian plant is owned by P&G, profits eventually make their way to the US!

Top Bottom