What's new

Another newbie check-in

@Rich S welcome to B&B.

You’re way tougher than me, there’s no way I could have done Sub duty. Parris Island was way more fun then rigging for silence and following Russian Boomers.

Thanks for your service.

Where are you located? If CONUS, I can send you a straight razor or some razors to learn with. This will help offset the cost to experiment.

I’m pretty knew to Straight Razors but they are super fun to learn.

Bottom line: an awesome shaving technique that will take time to learn. But it’s fun and challenging and rewarding.

Semper Fidelis and Welcome Aboard,

Tim

@Rich S welcome to B&B.

You’re way tougher than me, there’s no way I could have done Sub duty. Parris Island was way more fun then rigging for silence and following Russian Boomers.

Thanks for your service.

Where are you located? If CONUS, I can send you a straight razor or some razors to learn with. This will help offset the cost to experiment.

I’m pretty knew to Straight Razors but they are super fun to learn.

Bottom line: an awesome shaving technique that will take time to learn. But it’s fun and challenging and rewarding.

Semper Fidelis and Welcome Aboard,

Tim
Tim

Thanks for the welcome and recognition. I was in the Navy from 1971-75, but I didn't serve on subs. Back in the day, the Navy required at least a 6-year commitment for the Sub Service. I sat nearby a huge antenna, on dry land, listening to Russian subs if they sent something by radio.

It was Submariner who did spend his 20-year career on subs. I was recognizing his efforts. He made MMCM (Machinist Mate Master Chief, E8) in 20 years.

Thanks for the offer on the razors. I'm in Maryland. I might take you up on that, but right now, I'm about to buy something. At present, I know little about honing razors, so I looked for a seller who also sharpens & hones blades, Griffith Shaving Goods. One step at a time.

Griffith Shaving Goods is a great start! Definitely nice products.

Dry Land Navy? Well, I didn’t see that coming.

I can’t wait to hear how it goes with your straight razor journey.

It was Submariner who did spend his 20-year career on subs. I was recognizing his efforts. He made MMCM (Machinist Mate Master Chief, E8) in 20 years.
In the Navy, Master Chief is E9, not E8. Sorry for the mistaken demotion :oops:

Welcome.This is a treasure trove of a site for your Q and many others still not asked on your side... as a SR user happy to recommend the Feather DX coupled with the Feather Pro Guard blades for an end game state.

I've got some newbie progress to report.

First, I downloaded and read most of rbscebu's excellent PDF, called Traditional Straight Razor Instructions for Beginners. It's long, but I'm very glad to have kept a copy. Thank's @rbscebu :thumbup1:!

I've wet shaved for decades, but 2 years ago I started using shaving soap & a brush. I've tried Poraso Red, Edgar Jagger Sandlewood, and Pre de Provence No. 63. So far, I like Poraso Red the best. I eventually settled on an inexpensive ($63) silvertip badger brush sold by Parker. It's been good so far. I tried a Parker Black Badger brush, at half the cost, but didn't like it. Several brush hairs poked my face painfully.

I ordered a Straight Razor from Griffith Shaving Goods, a Paul Drees Sistrum. It's new old stock, and the owner Matt will hone it for me. It's on the way now :001_smile. I also learned about Griffith somewhere on this forum.
1696606497866.png

After reading the PDF, I learned that synthetic bristle shaving brushes are good. Who knew? So, I also ordered a Stout Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush sold by Fine. $30 for a 24 mm knot size. I've already tried that once, and I already like it. It feels as soft as the badger brush. It loads shaving soap somewhat differently than my other brush, but that's not too surprising. The badger brush holds more water than the synthetic.

I also learned from reading rbscebu's PDF that I should learn to strop on a cheap leather strop before buying a better one. So, I ordered a cheap one from Amazon (not shown). At a later time, I've think I'll look into an Illinois No. 127 strop, but not now.

So, I've been buying stuff like a drunken sailor. Next comes the first use of the straight razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom